The Future Hawks

Can the hawks rebuilt and stay in the top 8 at the same time?

• Yes

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the hawks will go like this:

2016 Team:
Stratton Frawley Gibson
Burgoyne Spangher Birchall

Hill Mitchell Smith

Rioli Shoenmakers Bruest
Gunston Roughead Puopolo

Ceglar Hodge Lewis

Shiels, Hartung, McEvoy and Duyrea

At the end of 2016- Out: Burgoyne, Gibson and Spangher. In: Langford, Heatherly or Brand and Howe

2017 Team:
Stratton Frawley Duyrea
Howe Heatherly or Brand Birchall

Hill Mitchell Smith

Rioli Shoenmakers Bruest
Gunston Roughead Puopolo

Ceglar Hodge Lewis

Shiels, Hartung, McEvoy and Langford

At the end of 2017- Change of Captaincy: Lewis, Rough or Shiels Out: Hodge, Mitchell In: Litherland, O'Rouke

2018 Team:
Stratton Frawley Duyrea
Litherland Heatherly or Brand Birchall

Hill Howe Smith

Rioli Shoenmakers Bruest
Gunston Roughead Puopolo

Ceglar Shiels Lewis

O'Rouke, Hartung, McEvoy and Langford

At the End of 2018- Out: Lewis, Puopolo, Rough* (depending on injuries and how he ages) Ins: Burton, Lovell and Hardwick* Captain: Shiels taken from lewis or rough if he doesn't get it in 2018.

2019 Team:
Stratton Frawley Duyrea
Litherland Heatherly or Brand Birchall (30)

Hill Howe Smith (30)

Rioli (29) Shoenmakers Bruest
Burton Gunston Hardwick* or Rough* (31 turning 32) (if plays on)

Ceglar Shiels Langford

O'Rouke, Hartung, McEvoy (29) and Lovell

May not be 100% perfect, but this is how i see us going. Looking at the team I'm quietly confident that it could keep us in the top 8.

CQditapVAAAJnjN.jpg

I have high hopes for Langford , hartung , Sicily and Howe out of our young group the rest of them could go either way , it would help massively if one of the fringe players in miles , willsmore or o'Rourke could really elevate themselves in the first group I mentioned and cement a spot in the team

You can as long as you draft well, trade well and grab free agents.

Geelong will drop out for one year for mine.

Feel we are weak in the ruck next year if we lose one of BB or Cegs.

Our depth is the weakest it's been for a few years IMHO leading into 2016.

Yeah but the cupboard is not bare. Most of our vfl crew have a few seasons under their belt which will mean stepping in when they need to will not be as daunting. Super exciting year ahead.

....Our depth is the weakest it's been for a few years IMHO leading into 2016.
Our immediate depth is looking light on compared to what we have had in recent years. Outside of our remaining 19 Premiers, as walk ups, we have Langers, Billy, Gus and Cegs who have all shown they can play to a reasonable level. Behind them I am pretty confident Jono and Howe will make it. I balance that off against Brand, Pitt, Webstar, Willsmore, Sicily and Miles, all are potentially and have shown enough attributes to suggest that may end up real good. Most of these six should get the odd game next year.

We have the best starting 18 and our potential is as good as anyones. Remarkable list management.

If Langford isn't best 22 by the end of this year something is seriously wrong or others have improved out of sight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Langford isn't best 22 by the end of this year something is seriously wrong or others have improved out of sight.

I think Langford will go bang in 2016, late 2014 showed how good a player he can be, he plateaued out a bit this year but I think he will take the step and really establish himself (as long as there are no significant injuries that crop up), his disposal needs work but he plays like a bull, head down and wins the footy and he is good around goal, he is also good defensively, so the potential is there for him to establish himself as a really good rounded player, I think we will really start to see that all come together in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, let me be more explicit then... Langford needs to improve his disposal if he wants to play at AFL level AT HAWTHORN. :cool:
Like when Thomas Mueller said that it was easier to score goals in the Bundesliga than it was at Bayern Munich training.

Good enough for the league, but not good enough for Hawthorn

do people agree or disagree with how i see the future turning out?
would you make any changes to who comes in or what you think won't happen.

Open to thoughts and hopefully this turns into a good discussion thread

The guy gets into so many contests hes often really time short to dispose. maybe he needs a partner in crime to work with him most of the time. rotate them together. Learn to feed off each other at AFL level

like back when mitch and sewell were a devastating partnership. when the current veterans were learning their craft, there wasn't as much pressure to be 100% each and every time

I have high hopes for Langford , hartung , Sicily and Howe out of our young group the rest of them could go either way , it would help massively if one of the fringe players in miles , willsmore or o'Rourke could really elevate themselves in the first group I mentioned and cement a spot in the team
i would already put O'Rourke in that first group. Willsmore is obviously rated as they gave him upped his number to #20 so he will be pushing in 2017 to start getting games on a reasonably regularly basis. Just like Hartung in his second year although it will be Willsmores 4th year? Haven't really seen much from Miles but seems like a reasonable player

I'd argue the other way and say our depth is the best its been for a few years.

No team can afford long term injuries to its key players and challenge, really challenge that is, but short term niggles yes and its short term niggles we have coverage for in most positions with "kids" who have a number of pre-seasons in the bag, another reason why players like Simpkin were let go.

I will keep worrying about us retiring Lake until I see something, anything from our tall and not so tall defenders, other then Frawley.

I hear you on the ruck, but if worse came to worse you could plonk Shem or Surman in their, rather then have Hodge ruck ever again, but that means one hell of a injury list to get to that stage.

i would already put O'Rourke in that first group. Willsmore is obviously rated as they gave him upped his number to #20 so he will be pushing in 2017 to start getting games on a reasonably regularly basis. Just like Hartung in his second year although it will be Willsmores 4th year? Haven't really seen much from Miles but seems like a reasonable player

Yeh true the club must have high hopes for willsmore obviously being from wa don't get to see box hill , but going by reports he never seems to have more then a bit better then average game. It will help massivly if a player like him can step up he seems to have some afl traits no doubt

Back