The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

No.
I think it's Mofra who has shown the studies, and that they show the abc actually has a right leaning bias.

Tom, you are a right wing conservative. You have shown your views on homosexuals, immigrants, abortion, etc, before. You think Corey Bernardi is on the money with his views ffs. So most things would seem like they have a left bias, from your perspective.
Just because I think Corey Bernardi is smack on with a lot of his points doesn't make me far right. As for my views on abortion and immigration they are nowhere near far right. Maybe you are so far left that anyone who doesn't agree with allowing people coming by boat without documents as legal migrants must be far right.

Bwahahaha!

Where do state government get their funding from? A mystical non-taxation fairy from Alderon?

If you don't know, you shouldn't be so smug.

They certainly don't get it from people in other states.

Most of the things you listed are funded by state governments, so sorry but you're wrong.

I'm not even going to try to guess what you mean when you say you're paying for diesel. I hope it's not what I think it is, for your sake.

You understand where state governments get most of their money from, right?

All of them.

Anyone who ranted incorrectly about austerity then disappears when corrected shouldn't lecture others on accuracy.

I didn't "disappear" from that thread. BF doesn't always give you an alert when quoted. If you want a response you have to tag me. But why should I bother? You didn't "correct" me at all. Simply made assertions with no backing and assumed you won an argument because I didn't reply within a few hours.

You can't choose where your taxes go mate, I don't love the subsidies handed out to mining companies, or that blowing the s**t out of the Middle Eastern folk is publically funded either, that's the way it goes in a democracy but I do like the ABC. On Sunday I shall use my democratic right to protest against the first two which is what comes from living in a country like ours.

If you don't know, you shouldn't be so smug.

They certainly don't get it from people in other states.
I was being facetious - something someone with a modicum of intelligence would have detected.
Hint: states raise their own taxes, receive Commonwealth assistance from general revenue and receive GST distribution.

I am surprised I need to explain this.

I was being facetious - something someone with a modicum of intelligence would have detected.
Hint: states raise their own taxes, receive Commonwealth assistance from general revenue and receive GST distribution.

I am surprised I need to explain this.

I don't need hints mate. You seem to think that as a Victorian, you are paying for spending in other states, when in fact Victoria is basically break even. WA is by far the biggest donor.

$235 per person per year from Victoria is spent in other states.

in WA it's over $6000 per person per year.

I didn't "disappear" from that thread. BF doesn't always give you an alert when quoted. If you want a response you have to tag me. But why should I bother? You didn't "correct" me at all. Simply made assertions with no backing and assumed you won an argument because I didn't reply within a few hours.
I did actually correct you, and used examples (including a reference to a peer-reviewed paper that was famously debunked by a PhD student).

Your attempts at discussion are laudable but you are consistently out of your depth, demonstrating a lack of knowledge on the topics you are attempting to discuss. Now, I admire people who want to know more about issues within society but you do have to at least acknowledge that being constantly incorrect doesn't help your arguments (really, you should do some simple googling on "austerity" for a start).
I don't need hints mate. You seem to think that as a Victorian, you are paying for spending in other states, when in fact Victoria is basically break even. WA is by far the biggest donor.
Exhibit A - missing the point and getting things wrong in one post.

Your attempts at discussion are laudable but you are consistently out of your depth, demonstrating a lack of knowledge on the topics you are attempting to discuss. Now, I admire people who want to know more about issues within society but you do have to at least acknowledge that being constantly incorrect doesn't help your arguments (really, you should do some simple googling on "austerity" for a start).

You are so full of s**t. You talk about Keynesian stimulus as if it's an accepted fact, when there is considerable disagreement over its effectiveness amongst economics. As for being out of my depth, you're right that I am not a mod, so I can't afford to be as condescending as you. Apart from that you are deluding yourself a fair bit. Just because these forums are dominated by left-wingers doesn't make you right and me wrong, I hope you understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. The demographics of ABC viewers are no secret. With the exception of its children's programming (which could easily fund itself), the ABC is almost exclusively watched by the elite and the upper middle class in Australia.

It's one of the most regressive forms of taxation in Australia.

do you feel for the poor that have to pay the same rate of consumption tax as rich people? or fuel excise? what about those that disagree with our foreign involvement in wars? our politicians' generous entitlements?

it's a stupid, crap argument.

You can't choose where your taxes go mate.

Choosing where your taxes go is what politics is all about when you get down to it. Sure you can't choose directly, but you can choose indirectly at the ballot box. That's kind of the point of threads like these.

do you feel for the poor that have to pay the same rate of consumption tax as rich people? or fuel excise? what about those that disagree with our foreign involvement in wars? our politicians' generous entitlements?

it's a stupid, crap argument.

Yes, I think taxes should be lowered across the board, thanks for asking.

You are so full of s**t. You talk about Keynesian stimulus as if it's an accepted fact, when there is considerable disagreement over its effectiveness amongst economics. As for being out of my depth, you're right that I am not a mod, so I can't afford to be as condescending as you. Apart from that you are deluding yourself a fair bit. Just because these forums are dominated by left-wingers doesn't make you right and me wrong, I hope you understand.
No need to get upset, I am merely responding to what you said.

1. Keynesianism is a economic theory that is largely regarded to be juxtaposed to the Chicago Schoolers (not "austerity" as you seem to have assumed in that post), although this does simplify the issue substantially.
2. Referencing Treasury modeling and a Treasury paper (Google Ken Henry and David Gruen if you're interested) is not the same as asserting Keynesianism is an accepted fact
3. Mod status has no bearing on a personal opinion, especially noting I am happy to share the reasons I hold those opinions and have provided such reason in my posts.
4. Again, quoting the WA GST revenue figure misses the point spectacularly. You firstly asserted:

My main KPI for a TV station I never watch is how much it costs me, not what its code of practice is.

For example, I don't give a crap what Al Jazeera shows, because Australian taxpayers aren't paying for it.
(Which was off-topic to the issue being discussed, which was ABC bias).
I noted that as taxpayers we pay for many things we do not use (and the cost per taxpayer of the ABC pales into insignificance when compared to the various distributions made by State and federal governments to areas we do not all utilize).

Whether that comes from state or federal taxes, or is due to spending that is distributed to the states from the federal government is moot - and certainly the particular percentage of GST redistribution is off-topic.

By the way:
I'm not even going to try to guess what you mean when you say you're paying for diesel. I hope it's not what I think it is, for your sake.
Was a reference to the diesel fuel excise afforded to mining operations that establish their own infrastructure on site, which is a taxation-relief measure that attracts ongoing controversy.

If you have any further questions I'm happy to help.

Just because I think Corey Bernardi is smack on with a lot of his points doesn't make me far right. As for my views on abortion and immigration they are nowhere near far right. Maybe you are so far left that anyone who doesn't agree with allowing people coming by boat without documents as legal migrants must be far right.
OK, I believe that homosexuals have the right to marry.
You believe that homosexuals are the same as paedophiles.

I don't think I'm the one who is on the horizon.

That's why you view the ABC as incredibly biased to the left. You think that you are centre-right.

I noted that as taxpayers we pay for many things we do not use (and the cost per taxpayer of the ABC pales into insignificance when compared to the various distributions made by State and federal governments to areas we do not all utilize).

Yeah, but you then mentioned a bunch of things your taxes don't in fact pay for as an example. Of course your taxes pay for things you don't use. My point is that those things should be as limited as possible. It's hard to make a user pays system for roads without making toll roads (which everyone hates). Not so hard for a TV station. In fact it's by far the most common method of paying for TV stations. Publicly funded TV is an increasingly rare anachronism.

Was a reference to the diesel fuel excise afforded to mining operations that establish their own infrastructure on site, which is a taxation-relief measure that attracts ongoing controversy.

You mean the diesel fuel rebate?

Yeah, that's afforded to many businesses that don't use their vehicles on public roads (because the excise is supposedly used for paying for roads). It also applies to farm machinery, forklifts, bobcats etc.

What I don't understand is how you think you are paying for something which is in effect a zero-sum effect. (No road spending, therefore no tax collected.)

One of the most obvious and continual intellectual fail of the left is that the fuel rebate is somehow a subsidy. It's not. The fuel excise was never intended to be applied to vehicles that do not use public roads.

Like I said, I hoped for your sake that you were talking about something else. Turns out you are indeed as ignorant as I had feared.

No.
I think it's Mofra who has shown the studies, and that they show the abc actually has a right leaning bias.

Tom, you are a right wing conservative. You have shown your views on homosexuals, immigrants, abortion, etc, before. You think Corey Bernardi is on the money with his views ffs. So most things would seem like they have a left bias, from your perspective.

Floor Pie,

I'd be careful referencing the ABC bias study when discussing whether the current ABC is biased. Most concerns regarding perceived ABC bias (or otherwise) focus on its News and Current Affairs arm which is vastly different now to what it was when the study was conducted.

Regards

S. Pete

Remove this Banner Ad

Back