The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as I have no choice but to pay for the Sydney Opera House..

Or paying to invade other countries..
Or paying to subsidise private school kids..
Or paying to give tax breaks to multi-billion dollar international companies..

We all have things our taxes are spent on we don't agree with. Such is life. Deal with it.

Jiska.. I wont go down the path of arguing the far left hobbie horses you provide as examples of taxes mis-spent, what I will do is remind you that last time I looked Australia was still a democratic country. Ie the system works on the basis that people power ultimately decides how our manditory taxes are spent. People have every right to question the ABCs funding, its outputs and whether its serves Australia for the better.. I know why the lefties hereabouts are so vehement in their defence of the ABCs institutionalised bias, but the critisism by the political right also has merit.

Jiska.. I wont go down the path of arguing the far left hobbie horses you provide as examples of taxes mis-spent, what I will do is remind you that last time I looked Australia was still a democratic country. Ie the system works on the basis that people power ultimately decides how our manditory taxes are spent. People have every right to question the ABCs funding, its outputs and whether its serves Australia for the better.. I know why the lefties hereabouts are so vehement in their defence of the ABCs institutionalised bias, but the critisism by the political right also has merit.

1) yes they do.
2) various questionnaires show huge & solid support for what the ABC do. Attribution of an election vote, after promises to NOT cut funding, argued as some aquiescence to what Abbott wants to do now, is a downright lie by any measure.
3) Your own, repeated ad nauseum, bias. Not born out by the fact checker.

You're on drugs if you think this is how it works.

The majority of Australians wanted us out of Vietnam - didn't happen.
The majority of Australians voted against the GST - we still got it.

The Abbott Government was elected after taking a "no cuts to the ABC" promise to the electorate. Maybe if they had gone to the electorate saying "we are going to cut the funding of the ABC by 5%" they may not have won the election.

You talk about democracy and people deciding where their money is spent, but they can only vote or pass judgement on what the candidates tell them at election time. People power can only have a voice if they are presented with the policies and the facts prior to an election. A candidate saying they won't do something, getting in to power and doing it anyway, is a direct attack on the democratic right of people power to decide how taxes are spent. People power voted in a Government that said they would not cut funds to the ABC. People power are having their democratic voice eliminated by a lying, deceitful Government.

You're on drugs if you think this is how it works........... People power are having their democratic voice eliminated by a lying, deceitful Government.

It is how it works. If, collectively Australians are so horrified that the Abbott govt has sliced 5% of waste out of the biased ABC then they will can his arse at the election (allowing Labor to load their propoganda department back up again). Same with Vietnam war. Same with the GST. Same with any other issue deemed important enough by the electorate to sway their voting intentions. Mind you, you are wrong about the GST. Howard went to the election with it front and centre and won office on that platform, fair and sqaure. Democracy at work.

As for Abbotts ABC cut porky, meh.. if cutting 5% of wasteful government largesse is a betrayal then good. Even if the ABC follow through with their threat and cut Peppa Pig its hardly the same consequence as Gillard slapping $1000 on the top of everyones powerbill.

Last edited:
The majority of Australians voted against the GST - we still got it.
Mind you, you are wrong about the GST. Howard went to the election with it front and centre and won office on that platform, fair and sqaure. Democracy at work.
You're as bad as mottrain; you don't do any research. When you don't like something, you twist words around to alter the discussion. I was not wrong, I was quite right. I said "the majority of Australians voted against the GST. Here are the facts you choose to ignore:

upload_2014-11-21_14-1-21.png upload_2014-11-21_14-2-36.png

It is how it works. If, collectively Australians are so horrified that the Abbott govt has sliced 5% of waste out of the biased ABC then they will can his arse at the election (allowing Labor to load their propoganda department back up again).

As for Abbotts ABC cut porky, meh.. if cutting 5% of wasteful government largesse is a betrayal then good. Even if the ABC follow through with their threat and cut Peppa Pig its hardly the same consequence as Gillard slapping $1000 on the top of everyones powerbill.
So what you are saying, therefore, is that you thought Gillard was well within her rights to introduce the Carbon Tax and you supported that introduction??

So what you are saying, therefore, is that you thought Gillard was well within her rights to introduce the Carbon Tax and you supported that introduction??

Lol nope. Gillards remains the ultimate betrayal of Australia by a politician, in a key policy area. Her words on the eve of an election were deliberately misleading, costing Australians tangibly through increased taxes and loss of jobs. It rightfully become and election issue and righfully contributed to her government getting smashed last year. Its incomparable with Abbott whos a numpity making a promise to enshrine the ABC's funding (while all government departments are trying to reign in spending (and therefore Labors debt)). I dont condone his "lie" but I'm 100% behind this efficiency drive, which is a complete non issue, as most people probably accept (even you deep down). The only people squealing is the far left who seek only to get mileage from the "lie" as most Australians dont care too hoots about the actual issue of squeezing efficiencies from the ABC. Because its a victimless "crime".

Lol nope. Gillards remains the ultimate betrayal of Australia by a politician, in a key policy area. Her words on the eve of an election were deliberately misleading, costing Australians tangibly through increased taxes and loss of jobs. It rightfully become and election issue and righfully contributed to her government getting smashed last year. Its incomparable with Abbott whos a numpity making a promise to enshrine the ABC's funding (while all government departments are trying to reign in spending (and therefore Labors debt)). I dont condone his "lie" but I'm 100% behind this efficiency drive, which is a complete non issue, as most people probably accept (even you deep down). The only people squealing is the far left who seek only to get mileage from the "lie" as most Australians dont care too hoots about the actual issue of squeezing efficiencies from the ABC. Because its a victimless "crime".
You're right, I have no problem with the efficiency drive whatsoever, I just have a problem with Abbott lying to the Australian public before they exercised their democratic rights. In my mind it is just as reprehensible as Gillards lie over the Carbon Tax and very comparable. Let's not go down the John Howard path of core and non-core promises bullshit. A promise is a promise - full stop.

Alternatively onlookers who see it posted ad nausium may arise at the conclusion the poster is guilty of baseless arrogance, a self declared intellectual superior who's unable to articulate an original opinion.
Nice to see you looking in the mirror, may your journey towards self awareness be a rewarding one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right, I have no problem with the efficiency drive whatsoever, I just have a problem with Abbott lying to the Australian public before they exercised their democratic rights. In my mind it is just as reprehensible as Gillards lie over the Carbon Tax and very comparable. Let's not go down the John Howard path of core and non-core promises bullshit. A promise is a promise - full stop.

Agree 100%. Politicians across all political divides richly deserve a lashing for bullshitting the Australian public. Sadly weve arrived at the point of comparing relative impact of the lies in terms of political traction. I feel dirty going there...

Alternatively onlookers who see it posted ad nausium may arise at the conclusion the poster is guilty of baseless arrogance, a self declared intellectual superior who's unable to articulate an original opinion.
That's nice of you - thanks. I've articulated plenty of original opinions. There's only so many times you can go around and around saying the same thing in different ways.

Agree 100%. Politicians across all political divides richly deserve a lashing for bullshitting the Australian public. Sadly weve arrived at the point of comparing relative impact of the lies in terms of political traction. I feel dirty going there...
The relative impact is largely irrelevant. If you are campaigning for election, you stick to your promises. Otherwise, you have abused the democratic process completely and treated the voting public with absolute contempt. And that, in my mind, is never ever acceptable. It's better not to comment at all, or dance around the topic, as politicians are very very good at doing, rather than to flat-out lie.

The relative impact is largely irrelevant.

Yes and no. The truism of that statement is reflected in Abbott copping s**t from all angles about this lie over funding of the ABC, when in fact most people probably support it. But then again no, I personally dont believe the the implication of ABCdefundgate to ordinary Australians will result in longevity of the fallout continuing into an election issue in two years (as Gillards Carbontax lie did).

If you are campaigning for election, you stick to your promises. Otherwise, you have abused the democratic process completely and treated the voting public with absolute contempt. And that, in my mind, is never ever acceptable. It's better not to comment at all, or dance around the topic, as politicians are very very good at doing, rather than to flat-out lie.

Yes. If you deliberately seek to sway people voting intentions by saying one thing, then you do the opposite straight after, then you are treating Australians with contempt. No excuses.

Yes and no. The truism of that statement is reflected in Abbott copping s**t from all angles about this lie over funding of the ABC, when in fact most people probably support it. But then again no, I personally dont believe the the implication of ABCdefundgate to ordinary Australians will result in longevity of the fallout continuing into an election issue in two years (as Gillards Carbontax lie did).

Yes. If you deliberately seek to sway people voting intentions by saying one thing, then you do the opposite straight after, then you are treating Australians with contempt. No excuses.
You support the ABC cuts, I disagree, we can't speak for anyone else, unless you can somehow support the bolded.

To be accused of baseless arrogance by an individual that

I apologise if you took it that way as it wasn't my intention. Simply said reposting that over and over and over could be percieved that way. I'd hope there always remain respectful disagreement where it exists.

Mark Knight encapsulates it beautifully.

b6sciw.jpg

My power bill didn't have $1000 "slapped on the top of it".

Why can't you make your points without posting blatant lies?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back