The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

quick......look over there!
I disclosed exactly what the comparison was. Sounds like this is a big issue for the left given your response.

Have a cup of tea with a scon, you will feel better.
So many opportunities to support this quote:
"In hindsight, the ABC new this thus there efforts in recent years with the political agenda and efforts to undermine democracy."
And yet you can't...
Yeah, you're the people's champion... Keep pretending you support equality through your misunderstanding of the RDA. Dumbass.

What constitutes "lefties"?
You must have some idea, because you have used it as anecdotal evidence...

But you still haven't explained your statement that the ABC has been undermining democracy...

Isn't it so strange, that you have been asked by three different posters, but you haven't actually answered that statement?
Almost like you are just peddling bullshit...

Floor Pie, if you don't know what the term Leftie refers to, you have a lot to learn. Feel free to google and share what you have leant.

In terms of undermining democracy, did you bother to read the link? Go back and read the link and then take a guess. Clue: using their privelidged position to buy favour with governments. But have a try yourself........ I know you can do it!

Strange, my understanding of comparisons are when you compare something like for like.
Australia doesn't have another organisation like the ABC to compare against. TV/Radio/On-line.
Difficult to compare costs, I would think.

That's right

That is why I compared the whole media network of 7, 9 and the ABC which included media, print and digital and also considered market share

Floor Pie, if you don't know what the term Leftie refers to, you have a lot to learn. Feel free to google and share what you have leant.

In terms of undermining democracy, did you bother to read the link? Go back and read the link and then take a guess. Clue: using their privelidged position to buy favour with governments. But have a try yourself........ I know you can do it!
No. Don't be such a sniveling coward.
You made a statement of "lefties"... so back yourself... What is "lefties"?

Also, you still haven't linked any facts. You have just made bullshit Coalition party statements. Like anyone who was being paid to support the coalition.

No. Don't be such a sniveling coward.
You made a statement of "lefties"... so back yourself... What is "lefties"?

Also, you still haven't linked any facts. You have just made bullshit Coalition party statements. Like anyone who was being paid to support the coalition.

try and stay focused

go back and read the link

That's right

That is why I compared the whole media network of 7, 9 and the ABC which included media, print and digital and also considered market share
Radio?
Don't piss-fart around. You tried to say that the entire budget should be compared to the tv budget of channel ten and 7.

You were called out, and destroyed.

You look more pathetic than usual when you try to pretend you're above it all... You hack!

Radio?
Don't piss-fart around. You tried to say that the entire budget should be compared to the tv budget of channel ten and 7.

You were called out, and destroyed.

You look more pathetic than usual when you try to pretend you're above it all... You hack!

ahh no

go back and look at the financials of the other media groups and you will be surprised that they do more than tv

ahh no

go back and look at the financials of the other media groups and you will be surprised that they do more than tv
Or... you could stop running away, and actually support what you said...
"In hindsight, the ABC new this thus there efforts in recent years with the political agenda and efforts to undermine democracy."

What so we can't stay informed all parts of the day in Australia?

Sure you can, just pay for it on subscription TV like every other country in the world does.

CNN stands for Cable News Network, it ain't free to air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So where are they? What about the people that are so far out or rural that they can't even get get internet? What better news service is there than a 24 hour news channel?

Sky News is 24 hours and is available everywhere in Australia by Foxtel satellite.

You don't need to pay anything. You can choose not to if you want. That's the beauty of letting people decide what services to purchase.

The only channel you and I are forced to pay for is the ABC.
That is how our system works. I don't use lots of things that I am happy to pay for. Am more that happy to pay for a service as extensive and useful as the ABC.
Not so happy if Foxtel with its inferior services is the only option.

Yes, I can see how someone with no economic knowledge would find a basic economic concept very doubtful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowding_out_(economics)

Case study: http://www.nber.org/digest/jan98/w6057.html
Yep, there is a lot of crowding out going on in classical music area. The case study seems to acknowledge their findings are not conclusive in any case, and more extensive research is needed.
Don't think the wikipedia makes reference to media. Have you got a proper article on media and crowding out?
And I don't really accept this theory in any case. Is it a real theory or some right wing plant?
If private sector thinks there is a market, it will go for it.

And I don't really accept this theory in any case. Is it a real theory or some right wing plant?
If private sector thinks there is a market, it will go for it.

The entire reasoning behind crowding out theory is that there is a market, but public broadcasting has cornered it.

There is obviously a market for highbrow TV news and current affairs programs. Every country in the world has them. But in countries where the government funds a large public news service, it doesn't make sense for private companies to compete in that sector. They instead try to fill market niches that aren't already filled by public broadcasters.

Public broadcasters have a big natural advantage over private in terms of gathering market share. Namely that they can offer for free what a private company would have to charge for in some way (either by selling advertising or subscriptions).

Yep and I told you that the link you provided was in no way conclusive re your crowding out in the media theory.
Can't be stuffed reading 23 pages tonight but thanks will look at it in due course.

You couldn't even be bothered reading the abstract?

We find evidence that public broadcasting crowds out commercial programming in large markets, particularly in classical music and to a lesser extent in jazz.

The entire reasoning behind crowding out theory is that there is a market, but public broadcasting has cornered it.

There is obviously a market for highbrow TV news and current affairs programs. Every country in the world has them. But in countries where the government funds a large public news service, it doesn't make sense for private companies to compete in that sector. They instead try to fill market niches that aren't filled by public broadcasters.
And fair enough too. Sky news is a fair way short of ABC's service.
But the short article says the public and commercial news's are not substitutes for one another.

You couldn't even be bothered reading the abstract?
Nope can't be stuffed w 23 pages tonight. Sorry. Read the short one-as I already said-classical music has crowding out issues-durr. ( very small market)

Nope can't be stuffed w 23 pages tonight. Sorry. Read the short one-as I already said-classical music has crowding out issues-durr. ( very small market)

The abstract is the 4-sentence paragraph that appears on the first page.

Yep but classical music, comon, its not a large market. It barely exists in Melbourne anymore.
Find it hard to believe that if the ABC was the only news source in rural Australia, for example, that a private service wouldn't be a viable option.

refer to 1% market share
You didn't answer any of that.

what is the point? the market suggest a 24 hour service is not required.

buy a digital recorder and watch the regular srvice when ever you want!

1% lol...

Some people can't afford them. And why buy a recorder if the news is out of date by the time they watch it? Do you get the concept of 24 hours? It means there's constant new news...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back