The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah..you reckon? I mean these ***** are still trying to pass the budget from 2014 and you're telling us they'd be ahead, get your hand off it.
Don't waste your time engaging with him. WOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abbott needs to be promise more funding to the ABC before the next election, but put strong conditions on it.
Incentive the ABC to make changes, they won't otherwise. Basically the ABC at the moment, they are a shambles.
I actually don't mind the ABC bias, but atm the moment it is like it is being run by childish adults.
What do you base that accusation on? Two media beat-ups about Q&A?

It's embarrassing how bad you LNP-apologists are at arguing your case.

People like you are responsible for the lack of intellectual rigour infecting the bulk of the Liberal Party, which is why it has been so poor in government since 2013. You only have yourselves to blame.

It's embarrassing how bad you LNP-apologists are at arguing your case.

People like you are responsible for the lack of intellectual rigour infecting the bulk of the Liberal Party, which is why it has been so poor in government since 2013. You only have yourselves to blame.
Who is to blame for the appalling state today's Labor Party is in?

The question is..are they really?

Despite what Bolt thinks, the party is ahead in the polls, has policies in place determined at the national conference a few weeks back and argues it case well.

Tell me about these wonderful policies.

What are the 3 best in your view?

Tell me about these wonderful policies.

What are the 3 best in your view?

Marriage Equality Bill within 100 days of being elected...kind of makes a plebiscite or referendum pointless.

Emissions Trading Scheme, bringing Australia in line with the majority of the world's economies.

Tax reform not wholly and solely raising the GST but reforming all indirect taxes to help bring about surplus budgets.

Marriage Equality Bill within 100 days of being elected...kind of makes a plebiscite or referendum pointless.
But is stuff all of a difference between what will almost assuredly be the outcome of a plebiscite or referendum, which is what the public overwhelmingly want.

Emissions Trading Scheme, bringing Australia in line with the majority of the world's economies.
LOL Such wonderful ETS schemes going on in USA, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Indonesia etc

Tax reform not wholly and solely raising the GST but reforming all indirect taxes to help bring about surplus budgets.

That is so vague as to be meaningless and has the Labor Party actually promised Tax Reform, or are you just guessing they will do it?

How about some specifics.

But is stuff all of a difference between what will almost assuredly be the outcome of a plebiscite or referendum, which is what the public overwhelmingly want.

Not sure the taxpayers want to spend another $150 million on having one...in short the next election will be a de facto referendum on Marriage Equality anyway!

LOL Such wonderful ETS schemes going on in USA, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Indonesia etc

40 US states have one now, lead by California, whilst the EU has a long standing one. China is also going to introduce one across its major cities at a minimum. Amazing what the majority of Australia isn't being told by a clueless MSM.

That is so vague as to be meaningless and has the Labor Party actually promised Tax Reform, or are you just guessing they will do it?

How about some specifics.

Bill Shorten has already stated that when he is elected PM, that the Government will engage in real tax reform, not the rubbish Hockey and the Premiers are trying to do. Indirect taxes such as fuel tax and the GST will be looked at (my honest hope is that the GST is buried once and for all and that we return to the Wholesale Sales Tax that we had until little Johnny turned up).

I am cynical when any political party talks about tax reform. In fact the blueprint for successful tax reform is clear in this country: take the specifics to an election. Those were the last circumstances in which is really happened.

Any commitment to reform and the provision of its specifics to the electorate would be progress.

But anyway, back to the ABC. Apparently Tom Gleeson hates homeless people.

Not sure the taxpayers want to spend another $150 million on having one...
Polling shows they overwhelmingly do.

40 US states have one now, lead by California, whilst the EU has a long standing one. China is also going to introduce one across its major cities at a minimum. Amazing what the majority of Australia isn't being told by a clueless MSM.
Most of these places have rates too low to be of any significance, they are done for show. Yet Labor is always wanting to have massively increased tariffs on co2.

Bill Shorten has already stated that when he is elected PM, that the Government will engage in real tax reform, not the rubbish Hockey and the Premiers are trying to do. Indirect taxes such as fuel tax and the GST will be looked at (my honest hope is that the GST is buried once and for all and that we return to the Wholesale Sales Tax that we had until little Johnny turned up).
LOL That is utter lunacy.

Considering you love the EU so much, why don't we have the same sorts of GST/VAT rates they have, you know between 15 to 25%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove tweets as they cannot be administered appropriately and add little to no value to the program.

If they wanted real engagement find the five or six most prolific tweeters or the five or six most published tweeters and have a Q&A show with just them on the panel. Then we might find out their insight and understanding of a given topic may just end at 140 characters.

Fair enough - I've just made the "Brownlow wouldn't be the Brownlow under different rules" argument somewhere else on here so I cannot disagree. Perhaps the problem is the program itself. Perhaps there is no problem.

Fair enough - I've just made the "Brownlow wouldn't be the Brownlow under different rules" argument somewhere else on here so I cannot disagree. Perhaps the problem is the program itself. Perhaps there is no problem.
That one would be right on the money for me.

That one would be right on the money for me.
Hard to think of a more successful program the ABC have developed in the last 10 years, considering it's a stalwart for 40-odd weeks a year. The tweets make it different to Question Time on BBC, and do engage a lot of people. If the show is dull, tweets can offer a respite. If the show isn't dull, tweets can be ignored. The problems with 'bias' have got far more to do with a lack of variety in right-wing options. LNP, IPA, News Corp and international visitors are about it these days. Even business lobbyists are considered 'left wing' by the News Corp press. I guess they could go far right and get some of the anti-immigration types on, but you want to avoid the facists since they're history shows they're happy to use violence for political ends. Free speech runs into problems when it comes up against people happy to use violence and intimidation to restrict other people's free speech.

Free speech runs into problems when it comes up against people happy to use violence and intimidation to restrict other people's free speech.
Like all those Leftists who try to shut down various Govt Ministers like Julie Bishop & Christopher Pyne from speaking on University campuses?

I thought that was poking the bear.

Extremists of all colours tend to violence. I don't see a lot of left-wing options either, unless universities are considered separately instead of as a sector. They have right-wing entertainers in other parts of the world.

I thought that was poking the bear.

Extremists of all colours tend to violence. I don't see a lot of left-wing options either, unless universities are considered separately instead of as a sector. They have right-wing entertainers in other parts of the world.
I was poking the bear by suggesting facists' desire for violence is a problem when giving them a platform on national TV?

Facists and Communists used to both use violence on each other, and in Europe you see both still hanging around (both wearing basically all black, which is weirdly uniform of them). The anti-Islam protests of late have seen some clashed here, and you wouldn't have either groups on Q&A I wouldn't think.

I don't know what you mean by there not being 'left-wing options either'. That's the criticism of Q&A, that the central folk they have on are 'left-wing' according to Bolt and friends, and that the entertainers (comedians, musicians, scientists, etc.) are left-wing too. Business people like Cousins and some lobby groups get labelled left-wing too. The current culture would probably have Twiggy as 'left-wing' too according to the anti-ABC types.

You only suggested fascists. Then you only suggested Communists use violence against Fascists. Personally I'd have a problem with someone who decided to break down a door into a closed building during a protest, but then I'm funny like that.

Get 'em all on, I say, but just know are clearly articulate that you are fully aware of what is going to happen, and you accept some of the responsibility for it.

You only suggested fascists. Then you only suggested Communists use violence against Fascists. Personally I'd have a problem with someone who decided to break down a door into a closed building during a protest, but then I'm funny like that.

Get 'em all on, I say, but just know are clearly articulate that you are fully aware of what is going to happen, and you accept some of the responsibility for it.
I didn't suggest them because I was talking about a lack of right-wing options for Q&A that gives it that look of bias. You responded by saying there was a lack of left-wing options, which I presume you have now backed away from.

Don't know what you're talking about in the second para. But you seem more of the right than me, so perhaps you can think about the sorts of right-wing wing people other than facists who could be on Q&A who aren't already. CEOs often don't go for being political, which is of course a problem with having them on such a show.

When does the ABC's self-appointed auditor complete his "independent" review of Q&A's bias? Be interested to understand where he fits calling the conservative PM an anal-fker on the bias scale, I'm guessing somewhere in between throwing a shoe at a conservative PM, encouraging student activists to drown out a conservative education minister or giving a platform to a convicted terrorist to debate a conservative minister about terrorism laws? Seeing its lefty Ray I'm guessing at a finding of coincidence that none of this bile is directed at left wing politicians.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back