Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gold after a crows loss.
I make a special switch from Fox to Ch7 to see Jars tears
It's a wonderful entree to the main course (listening to the meltdown, excuses and threats of tearing up memberships on 5AA)

Port Adelaide suffers a let-down after Showdown, Crows more likely to win after derby.

HOW the derby rivals have coped in the week after the Showdown since 2008.

I would question the relevance of the above when it includes 5 seasons where port didn't win many games at all between 2008 - 12 letter alone win after a show down. Nice one Rucci.

This is the very thing wrong with commentary. The way Channel 7 and Fox have directed their sports commentators to act a fool with ridiculous catchphrases and shouting is what is driving people nuts about commentary.

Commentators shouldn't be trained to barrack and shout at umpire decisions in a manner some bloke from a cheersquad would. It's insufferable.

It's just a box full of ex-players backslapping and laughing at each other's shitty anecdotes and jokes between WOWEE catchphrases which are SO good to listen to as an alternative to having someone actually call the game.

Rex Hunt started the rot with his comical commentary - which was perfect for illuminating radio calling - spreading to Dennis Cometti as part of the new Nine stable when they acquired the rights in 2002.

Already a thoroughly accomplished caller with years of experience, a smooth voice and WAFL playing/coaching experience to supplement his knowledge, Den suddenly unleashed some of the sharpest one-liners heard across any sport as Kerry Packer's version of AFL broadcasting made Seven's previous efforts look straight out of caveman times.

Dwayne Russell, James Brayshaw and BT also emerged in this colourful new colourful era and that was that. Cometti became a parody of himself, BT's USP became RFA, Brayshaw gravitated down that path to a barely-tolerable degree and Dwayne launched out of his own anus and was last seen gaining on Voyager 2.

By the time Seven got the rights back we'd tragically lost the chosen one in Clinton Grybas and now have a horrible mishmash of cliched callers, panels of past players with negligible insight and horrid SD-potatovision.

It's enough to make you pine for John and Noni.

Rex Hunt started the rot with his comical commentary - which was perfect for illuminating radio calling - spreading to Dennis Cometti as part of the new Nine stable when they acquired the rights in 2002.

Already a thoroughly accomplished caller with years of experience, a smooth voice and WAFL playing/coaching experience to supplement his knowledge, Den suddenly unleashed some of the sharpest one-liners heard across any sport as Kerry Packer's version of AFL broadcasting made Seven's previous efforts look straight out of caveman times.

Dwayne Russell, James Brayshaw and BT also emerged in this colourful new colourful era and that was that. Cometti became a parody of himself, BT's USP became RFA, Brayshaw gravitated down that path to a barely-tolerable degree and Dwayne launched out of his own anus and was last seen gaining on Voyager 2.

By the time Seven got the rights back we'd tragically lost the chosen one in Clinton Grybas and now have a horrible mishmash of cliched callers, panels of past players with negligible insight and horrid SD-potatovision.

When Dennis gets on a roll of just calling the game as it is though, he is unsurpassed in this era. Bruce unfortunately still get's turned on by the 'centimetre perfect' quips and brings out the worst in Dennis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also polled 6 votes from the coaches (and looking at them I suspect #sackwalsh gave him 5 of them).

Carlile missed out on the AFL team of the week again at the expense of loose (Victorian-based) men Taylor and Gibson.
gray 9 (5 -4) next best 6 (5-1)... it would be hilarious if it was walsh that gave him 5....
ebert 0 was a touch baffling.
I hope it was Walsh giving 5, unless Ken is taking the piss. A 5 from Walsh is clear evidence his brain washing into the cult of 'our players can do no wrong' is progressing nicely. Helps eliviate concerns he could make a real difference there.
The only votes which make sense to me (below) have Hinkley giving Danger 2 votes, and Walsh giving him 4 (sorry for repost from the matchday thread)

Adelaide v Port Adelaide
9 R. Gray (PA)
6 Dangerfield (Adel)
6 Schulz (PA)
5 Boak (PA)
3 Betts (Adel)
1 Carlile (PA)

Hinkley
5 Shulz
4 Gray
3 Boak
2 Dangerfield
1 Carlile

Walsh
5 Gray
4 Dangerfield
3 Betts
2 Boak
1 Shulz

The tv commentary / umpires only works at the ground. It works as an FM radio anywhere else. I know, because I have one. Used to take it all the time to Footy Park.
Holy crap they actually work?
I thought it was some fake ripoff.

Umpires say any raunchy s**t on the mic's?

Any patting on the butt and "good job" over the mic when they manufacture a free for a certain North Melbourne team?

Last edited:
The inflation of the Crows tyres continues. Just happened to hear an interview between ambassador David Penberthey and Patrick Dangerfield discussing how dominant the Crows were on the weekend, controlling the game. Dangerfiled was happily going along with it.
Who cares about stats, for all but 15 minutes of the 2nd/3rd quarters Port had complete control of the game, in fact apart from that period (obviously they kicked first 2), I was sitting back comfortable as the game always felt like we had it where we needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back