The Movie Thread

• Thread starter Old Spice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Draft Day after hearing some of the hype in here.
Meh. Was not overly impressed.
Hollywood has a habit of getting a good story and ruining it. The end result is that the movie just becomes unrealistic. If you want to know what I mean watch the movie again and take note of just how much happens in the 12 hour period the movie is set in. Way over the top.

Watched Draft Day after hearing some of the hype in here.
Meh. Was not overly impressed.
Hollywood has a habit of getting a good story and ruining it. The end result is that the movie just becomes unrealistic. If you want to know what I mean watch the movie again and take note of just how much happens in the 12 hour period the movie is set in. Way over the top.

Man, speaking of unrealistic films, Gone Girl did my head in. I don't think there was a logical plot twist - or for that matter a plot twist that didn't have more holes than Swiss cheese. Was still enjoyable but jeez..

Man, speaking of unrealistic films, Gone Girl did my head in. I don't think there was a logical plot twist - or for that matter a plot twist that didn't have more holes than Swiss cheese. Was still enjoyable but jeez..
Haven't watched it yet. Scores well on IMDB but the problem is I am not a big Ben Affleck fan.
What is your suggestion. Should I give it a go or give it a miss

Haven't watched it yet. Scores well on IMDB but the problem is I am not a big Ben Affleck fan.
I haven't seen this movie but I do think Ben Affkeck has become a very good dramatic actor, and a very skilled director

If you want to save 2 and whatever hours of your life I'd say give it a miss :p

If you're interested in watching a good drama then I'd say watch it, particularly if you like Fincher's other films (Fight Club, Se7en), but it's certainly not a must watch. It's also very long, and unfortunately IMO turns to s**t in the last 30 minutes.

There where so many lines that just cannot be taken seriously, the cinema burst into laughter.

I went in expecting to hate it but I left liking the movie.
Interesting, I have not read the books, nor have I any desire to watch the movie. May sneak a peek when it comes out on DVD.

I saw Birdman and was a bit disappointed. Lot's to appreciate in terms of the unusual angle or perspective from which the film is shot and the characters and conflict, but ultimately it left me empty. I didn't really understand or comprehend what I was meant to make of the theme and conclusion. A power failure about half way through and an unanticipated intermission gave me the chance to get a coffee to wash down the bailey's irish cream choc coated ice cream cone which at $4.80 is to die for.

Check out 50 Shades of Grey it was really funny.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it went for 2 hours.
I was going to watch this the other night but then saw that it had an IMBD rating of 4 which is really poor so decided not to.
Maybe I will give it a go but if I waste 2 hours of my life because of your recommendation I am going to come gunning for you Mars II :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to watch this the other night but then saw that it had an IMBD rating of 4 which is really poor so decided not to.
Maybe I will give it a go but if I waste 2 hours of my life because of your recommendation I am going to come gunning for you Mars II :)
There's mixed reviews here but most critics have given it 3 stars.

I read the books and, underlying the sex scenes and obvious themes, there are some interesting layers to the story and characters.

I saw Birdman and was a bit disappointed. Lot's to appreciate in terms of the unusual angle or perspective from which the film is shot and the characters and conflict, but ultimately it left me empty. I didn't really understand or comprehend what I was meant to make of the theme and conclusion. A power failure about half way through and an unanticipated intermission gave me the chance to get a coffee to wash down the bailey's irish cream choc coated ice cream cone which at $4.80 is to die for.
The theme touches on many points.

But mainly its about the Hollywood life, how everyone is so contrived and full of ego. It touches on film critics (the scene in the bar), action movies today (when you see Birdman for the first time), and more but I've forgotten.

The ending is ambiguous. The writers made it that way. The ending is whatever you make it out to be.

However, at first, I figured it was Riggan killing himself, and Sam believing he is flying is in his imagination as he kills himself. Pretty lame? I know.

So I read up another take on the ending, and I think this fits it much better. The whole movie, Sam doesn't respect Riggan. Their relationship is strained At the end, Riggans face has changed, and when he leaves the bathroom, Birdman is looking dejected and disappointed, and Riggan says goodbye along those lines.

What this represents, is Riggan not needing Birdman to be famous anymore. He's achieved his goal of being known to the world, without having the label of Birdman.

So when he jumps out the window, and Sam looks up at the sky as to see him fly off, this is how HE views Sam sees him.

She finally accepts him, respects him, considers him something of positive value. Whether or not this is from true love, or because he just got a million twitter followers, is unknown.

I'd definitely watch this movie again with a friend.

Most reviews I've read has been pretty bad.

s**t dialogue, the main lead is wooden, and the script comes straight from the book which was apparently very poorly written.

Most reviews I've read has been pretty bad.

s**t dialogue, the main lead is wooden, and the script comes straight from the book which was apparently very poorly written.

The male lead put on a a really bad european accent and the cinema burst into laughter every time he said "later babe".

What's it about?
A timid female journalist finds the opportunity to interview a famous billionaire, and in that interview they grow very close and fall for eachother.

However, the billionaire has a dark secret as he's into BDSM and he takes her into this wild ride of crazy sex and living the billionaire lifestyle.

The book actually came about from a Twilight fanfiction, so there are corresponding themes about forbidden love, and how he keeps telling her he's bad for her, and I suppose he is(?) I dunno. I've never read the books or the movie, this is just what I know from bits and pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back