The never ending Priddis debate - part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good in theory but the stats don't support it. Since Priddis' debut in 2006 (just 2 games) his percentage of handballs for total disposals has been (in ascending years) 39%, 46%, 53%, 61%, 69%, 58%, 66%, 61%, 58% and 66%. Since his early days he's been basically a 2/3 handball, 1/3 kick type player. As far as I'm concerned Priddis has always been a player who wins the ball in tight and dishes it off to the run and carry types. The better the team is performing the more outside options you have.
The quality of his handballs has improved dramatically over the past few seasons too (which one would expect with age and experience). Stood up well in the tackle and dished off some great passes last year. I agree though that having better players (not better than him, just better compared to those circa 2010) in good positions around the contest has helped him find his "zone" in this respect.

Could play til he's 40 at this rate. Won't lose any pace and is extremely durable. First eagle to play300?
if he started as an 18 year old. some players look like they can go around for a bit after 30 but all of sudden streak of poor form ends their career. I really thought coxy and glass would reach 300 but from 2013 to 2014 they had a massive drop in form.

I love how Priddis is now more selling candy. I rekon its a great weapon for him to use because its the last things the opposition to expect of him.

Seriously? Is debating Priddis still a "thing"? The guy is a super star and seemingly only getting better with age. But at least the arguments against provide entertainment I suppose ;)

I didn't think he could improve this year but after seeing a few things in NAB I now wouldn't be surprised if he became even better.

The area I can see him improving is his offensive side. With Redden sharing some of the contested ball winning load plus a few youngsters developing their inside game (eg Sheed, Duggan) Priddis could have more room to move and I could easily see kicking a few more goals in 2016. If you watch his highlights video from 2015 you can see how competent he is when given some space with ball in hand inside 50.

I don't see Priddis' improvement as something that Nic Nat caused. I think Priddis has been carrying our midfield for years and it's only recently our other midfielders have stepped up to support him. As much as the the PF showed we can win without him, it's his consistency game after game that no-one else on our list is close to replicating that means he is still somewhat irreplaceable atm.

Noticed a recent post in this thread and was then surprised to find I apparently should have been banned way back, though for what specifically nobody actually elucidated. Godfather32 intimated that it was because I reckoned Terry Wallace's opinion was better than the keyboard warriors here who had been critical of Priddis. Even though I don't recall saying that it has a ring of truth. What I did say, and reiterated many times, was that my own opinion of Priddis was bouyed by the collective concensus of media experts, umpires, B&F voting panels, All Australian selectors and AFL coaches (giving me some faith that my thoughts were pretty well on the money). Not sure how any of that warrants a banning. Over the 2 odd years I contributed to this thread Priddis won a Brownlow and was a runner up, was in the All Australian squad one year and and in the team the next year, was 4th and 7th in the AFLCA award and won an Eagles B&F and was runner up the other year. But apparently neither any of those people who deliberated on those awards nor me had any true idea. To quote Mandy Rice-Davies, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they".
You're really hung up on this aren't you, just give it up, no one who's left really cares that much anymore.
Although I'm not sure why you're quoting months old posts from someone else and then bringing me into it.

The thing is Priddis has changed a lot since a few years ago when I created the original thread. He used to try and kick the ball when he was under pressure due to him being so slow. He has developed his game and realised though that he needs to get the ball out to faster players with better skills which has made him a far superior player. He is still a liability on the defensive spread though.
Exactly, his game has changed and matured immensely the last few years, he's no longer a liability with ball in hand and is now often quite creative and dynamic.

Just wondering how long this thread will be when Pridda retires. Will be fascinating viewing.....
popcorn_danny_devito.gif

Exactly, his game has changed and matured immensely the last few years, he's no longer a liability with ball in hand and is now often quite creative and dynamic.

You're really hung up on this mate. Pushing the old line about how drastically he's changed in an attempt to validate your early incorrect opinions of him.
Yep the Simpson and Sandover Medallist suddenly became a completely different player so he's OK now but he was shite prior. You're so full of it and the lame attempts to back out of your position and retain any credibility reek.
For a guy who supposedly doesn't care you sure do jump back in quick smart:rolleyes:!

You're really hung up on this mate. Pushing the old line about how drastically he's changed in an attempt to validate your early incorrect opinions of him.
Yep the Simpson and Sandover Medallist suddenly became a completely different player so he's OK now but he was shite prior. You're so full of it and the lame attempts to back out of your position and retain any credibility reek.
For a guy who supposedly doesn't care you sure do jump back in quick smart:rolleyes:!
Read the posts from today, it's not just my opinion. And the only reason I came back into the thread is because someone bumped it by replying to one of my posts and the resident thread nutcase started dribbling on about posts I made months ago. Your opinion means less than nothing to me anyway, you come on occasionally, talk crap, can't back it up when you get called out on it and then disappear again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back