The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember getting up at 4:30am to catch a bus, train, train, bus to Curtin for a 6am lecture. Twiddle my thumbs until a 5pm tutorial in that afternoon.

I did this a few times, but my earliest lectures were at 8am. Back in first year I used to have 8am-9am then 4pm-6pm.

Every Curtin student needs to experience the joys of Oats St Stn then the 98/99 Circleroute bus.

I seriously wouldn't have a clue how to catch a bus to go somewhere in Perth.

Same - I need to catch one over the coming weeks and I don't know if you can use cash, how much it costs or whether I have to buy a smart rider or whatever they are called

Just had a look at the website - appears I'm one zone so $3 - $6 in total - not bad but it becomes a lot more expensive when you start to get further out

No wonder some people prefer to drive - not much incentive

I've been walking atm - only takes me 1/2 hour but it's just those days when it maybe too horrendous to walk - hopefully that doesn't occur

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look at the website - appears I'm one zone so $3 - $6 in total - not bad but it becomes a lot more expensive when you start to get further out

No wonder some people prefer to drive - not much incentive

I've been walking atm - only takes me 1/2 hour but it's just those days when it maybe too horrendous to walk - hopefully that doesn't occur

Of course, if we had multiple cities instead of one, people wouldn't need to be going long distances in the first place.

Of course, if we had multiple cities instead of one, people wouldn't need to be going long distances in the first place.
If only the big business didn't think it was a corporate disgrace to have their offices in a place less than the big city buildings.

If people as a whole got passed the idea that clients will care what message the building sends, that a big strong building is a big strong company, it would go a long way to spreading out the employment and reducing overall costs.

Sometimes I wonder if a $20,000 a week office might be smarter to have in Warwick for a quarter the price and less staff need to be held back on salary or let go in the name of reducing costs.

If only the big business didn't think it was a corporate disgrace to have their offices in a place less than the big city buildings.

If people as a whole got passed the idea that clients will care what message the building sends, that a big strong building is a big strong company, it would go a long way to spreading out the employment and reducing overall costs.

Sometimes I wonder if a $20,000 a week office might be smarter to have in Warwick for a quarter the price and less staff need to be held back on salary or let go in the name of reducing costs.
Part of the issue is building applications. The big companies prefer to have less locations (ideally one) but anywhere other than the city and local councils are likely to stop the chance of any building over 5 storeys. Can you imagine the shitstorm in Warwick, if Woodside applied to build a 15 storey tower there. Even on major roads, in places like Leederville/Mt Lawley it's tough to get council approval for towers over 5 storeys.

Part of the issue is building applications. The big companies prefer to have less locations (ideally one) but anywhere other than the city and local councils are likely to stop the chance of any building over 5 storeys. Can you imagine the shitstorm in Warwick, if Woodside applied to build a 15 storey tower there. Even on major roads, in places like Leederville/Mt Lawley it's tough to get council approval for towers over 5 storeys.

It would really suck for local business to have 500 people working in their community haha

The problem with de-centralisation in Perth is that the transport infrastructure is built around centralisation.

Perth just doesn't have a culture of living where you work, and plenty of people can't afford to anyway.

I currently live South, and if I was working anywhere North that isn't near the rail line I'd be ****ed trying to commute.

The way Perth is laid out I think we need more businesses in the city, just less cars.

Son had a school organised river cruise leaving from Barrack Street Jetty.

Dropping off was a bit of a head* as it wasn't much past peak hour (6.30) but jesus wept - picking up. Getting in and out of that place when a bunch of parents are trying to pick up their kids was a serious cluster*

Son had a school organised river cruise leaving from Barrack Street Jetty.

Dropping off was a bit of a head**** as it wasn't much past peak hour (6.30) but jesus wept - picking up. Getting in and out of that place when a bunch of parents are trying to pick up their kids was a serious cluster****

I remember doing that for my year 11 or 12 river cruise 15 years ago and it was a cluster then, can only imagine how bad it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back