The Perth Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older sister has been teaching for over 25 years and she works her arse off. As well as teaching a year 6 class full time, she looked after school camps, valedictory stuff (whatever it's called in Vic), IT, was science coordinator and had meetings every evening after school at least 3 times per week plus brought home marking most nights, spent a lot of her own money on school supplies to engage the kids or to brighten up the classroom. Add that to putting up with bullies, prima donnas, abusive parents and kids, red tape, staff issues, etc. it's no surprise that some people don't find it rewarding.
More recently my sister has moved to be a coordinator in middle school and still runs the science department and still spends hours outside of school time doing things for the kids. She spent her last summer holidays looking after a big garden at the school that she'd organised her year group to dig over and plant during the year.

Not all teachers are 100% slack and not all are like my sister. I am proud of the effort she has put into her career- a vocation, more than just a job- and I think she deserves every single cent that she has earned.

My kids' physics teachers are amazing- they go out of their way to help the kids in their free time and never complain. Their maths teachers are the same. I've got no complaints. I'm sure there are crap teachers at our school and I'm sure my kids know who they are but there are also amazing teachers out there who really care about their students and want to help them achieve their potential, for reasons other than how the school results look at the end of the year when ATAR results are published in the newspapers.

Certainly don't think all teachers are the same. Your sister sounds like she's extremely dedicated to her job and would work harder than 80% of most people in any workforce.

My point was mainly about the constant pay rise discussions. I think it sits about right atm. There obviously are a lot of very very dedicated teachers who improve each kids chance at life it's just in my personal experience a very large majority weren't like that at all.

Can only speak from personal experiences but didn't mean to come across as slagging all teachers out.

Certainly don't think all teachers are the same. Your sister sounds like she's extremely dedicated to her job and would work harder than 80% of most people in any workforce.

My point was mainly about the constant pay rise discussions. I think it sits about right atm. There obviously are a lot of very very dedicated teachers who improve each kids chance at life it's just in my personal experience a very large majority weren't like that at all.

Can only speak from personal experiences but didn't mean to come across as slagging all teachers out.
That's fair enough. Please support your gf if teaching is what she wants to do- and don't let your views of teachers poison your relationship with her. Unless she's only doing it because she can't get into something else. Too many kids are being directed into jobs they aren't suited for, rather than advised to strive for something they would love to do or which they are extremely passionate about, because the school doesn't want them to fail. It doesn't hurt someone to fail. I think it hurts them more to be "dumbed down", if anything, because they then accept mediocrity.

Reach for the stars!!!

I have no issue with teachers but I find it strange people want to be a teacher straight out of school. Its almost like people that want to get married have a kid at the same age. Dont you want to go experience something else with your life? Also how can you really teach kids if you've never been out of the school environment?

I have no issue with teachers but I find it strange people want to be a teacher straight out of school. Its almost like people that want to get married have a kid at the same age. Dont you want to go experience something else with your life? Also how can you really teach kids if you've never been out of the school environment?
If your vocation is teaching, there is a calling for you to get out and into the system ASAP. Nothing wrong with doing it straight out of school at all.
Plenty of time to experience life along the way- you have Uni breaks, you can work a part time job, travel, etc.

Life doesn't stop just because some wants to be a teacher. :)

Not sure why teachers are getting such a bullocking in here. Even the most campaignerish ones still have to bust their arses with marking and preparing work outside of school hours and having to deal with parents who think their precious little angel couldn't possibly be a dumb campaigner who needs to engage their brain once in a while.

Not sure why teachers are getting such a bullocking in here. Even the most campaignerish ones still have to bust their arses with marking and preparing work outside of school hours and having to deal with parents who think their precious little angel couldn't possibly be a dumb campaigner who needs to engage their brain once in a while.
So what, their job has drawbacks? That's like saying how people in call centres deserve a pay rise because they have to put up with people being rude, not even talking to them, mocking them, or being genuinely abusive. Every single job dealing with other humans is going to test your patience. Why should teachers be somehow more allowed to bitch than any other profession?

How often did a teacher take four weeks to hand back assignments? With four classes a day, surely they could've done it quicker. I really doubt that many sit there for more than an hour a night planning and marking work.

So what if they work hard? A lot of people do. Some people work way harder in much shitter environments for waaay worse money. Teachers have a very good job.

So what, their job has drawbacks? That's like saying how people in call centres deserve a pay rise because they have to put up with people being rude, not even talking to them, mocking them, or being genuinely abusive. Every single job dealing with other humans is going to test your patience. Why should teachers be somehow more allowed to bitch than any other profession?

How often did a teacher take four weeks to hand back assignments? With four classes a day, surely they could've done it quicker. I really doubt that many sit there for more than an hour a night planning and marking work.

So what if they work hard? A lot of people do. Some people work way harder in much shitter environments for waaay worse money. Teachers have a very good job.
Oh boo hoo you had a raft of s**t teachers then. Public School all the way and I can honestly say there was some absolute ripping teachers along the way with genuine love for their subject and for teaching it.

Oh boo hoo you had a raft of s**t teachers then. Public School all the way and I can honestly say there was some absolute ripping teachers along the way with genuine love for their subject and for teaching it.
Did you have teachers who thought they were on your level and called you dude and bro?

I had the same thing and I went to Girrawheen High of all places. Some of our teachers were fantastic. Others aren't allowed to teach anymore for various indiscretions.

As I said in previous posts only talking from my schooling experience but that isn't even close to correct. I ended up being good mates with the teachers after years of a lot of disagreements. Even ended up going into staff room often during certain classes and all they did was bitch and whinge about the students and work. That hour they stayed back after school "busting their arses" was spent doing 20 minutes of marking which spending a good 40 chatting and drinking coffee.

Think we can all agree on the fact some teachers are lazy campaigners and others are very dedicated and should be applauded for caring about the futures of their kids they teach.

Every job has advantages and disadvantages it's just you always hear about their disadvantages and how tough they have it.

I had the same thing and I went to Girrawheen High of all places. Some of our teachers were fantastic. Others aren't allowed to teach anymore for various indiscretions.
I encountered, maybe, one or two teachers I'd consider 'good' during my time there. Most of them couldn't give a s**t.

Did you hear the rumour about a certain drama teacher who slept with a year 12 student a few years back? Apparently she still has a job there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you hear the rumour about a certain drama teacher who slept with a year 12 student a few years back? Apparently she still has a job there.

2rc8uty.png

I encountered, maybe, one or two teachers I'd consider 'good' during my time there. Most of them couldn't give a s**t.

I can tell you that for a fact because it happened at a party at my house. It was pretty ****ed up. Also there was a science teacher there at the same time that's now married to one of his old students. You may remember him from breaking his collarbone riding into a parked car

Maybe we should send SA into a school for a couple of weeks.

I'm on my first teaching prac now (finish tomorrow) and although I thought I knew how hard the teachers work, my eyes have been opened to just how hard and stressful it actually is.

I'm on my first teaching prac now (finish tomorrow) and although I thought I knew how hard the teachers work, my eyes have been opened to just how hard and stressful it actually is.
Yup.

Had my first Prac last semester, and go on my second in just over a fortnight. Stressing majorly about having to teach 10 lessons.

Did you enjoy it? My friend's daughter has just done her final prac but had lazy so-and-so's in a couple of her pracs, who did nothing at all but use her as a personal slave.
Her mum was so proud the other day because she found out that her daughter had recognised a problem child in the class as being dyslexic, went home and found all of her coloured overlays that she and her sister used throughout their school days (both are dyslexic, with Irlen syndrome) and got this kid started on reading with the overlay that worked best for her until she could be assessed. The diagnosis came back- yep...dyslexia.
It's like she's teaching a different kid. :)

Yup.

Had my first Prac last semester, and go on my second in just over a fortnight. Stressing majorly about having to teach 10 lessons.
What age group do you have?
You'll be fine- just remember that you're the adult and try and enjoy the experience of being on the other side of the desk. :)
If you enjoy it, the kids probably will, too.

Ahh... But if they knew WHEN it happened, the date they proved it is irrelevant.
Maybe they should've asked people that knew then :p
But there's plenty of other reasons to fire her if they wanted to. Like what kinda teacher goes to their student's house party that no parents are at???

The thing is, no one wants to teach at Girrawheen so you have to reaaaaaaaally * up to get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back