The prize for worst implementation of climate policy goes to...

Whos your choice ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The global right wing is cannibalising eachother politically, that's what capitalists do when their time is running out.

The Republican Party and the LNP will be unrecognisable in 5 years at best if they still exist. They stand for nothing and offer nothing but blame "It's your fault you're poor!" "If you can't afford kids don't have them!" etc etc

That's all wishful thinking without any evidence for what you asserted.

People are living longer and tend to vote more conservative as they get older.

But there is also a tendency for young people to be more right wing. So much so they are calling them Generation Right.

The research shows that today’s young tend to want to spend less on welfare, favour reduced government spending and lower taxes. Not because they don’t care about those in need, but more probably because their attitudes include a suspicion of collectivism, a greater scepticism towards the state and more faith in themselves as individuals to get things done.​
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/10915458/Why-are-young-people-so-Right-wing.html

But there is also a tendency for young people to be more right wing. So much so they are calling them Generation Right.

The research shows that today’s young tend to want to spend less on welfare, favour reduced government spending and lower taxes. Not because they don’t care about those in need, but more probably because their attitudes include a suspicion of collectivism, a greater scepticism towards the state and more faith in themselves as individuals to get things done.​
Where are you sourcing this research from-it doesn't sound quite right for Australia to me? Is this American data?

People tend to vote conservative as they get older only if their votes counted when they were young and the left wing parties of their youth evolve into conservative parties (like what happened with the ALP).

Not sure if the youth in the UK are getting more right wing, but considering the UK is the home of fascism nothing that they do to their kids surprises me.

But for most of the world, especially in America, the younger generation are turning into diet communists on account of no god damn jobs and greedy rich bastards.

Amidst all the Green posturing and gloating about this supposed 'Climate deal' signed by China and the US, I can't help but notice the irony that US emissions are dropping on the back of fracking, which the Greens hate, and the Chinese promised emissions cuts will mostly come from building more dams and more nuclear power plants... Both of which the Greens hate...
When we try and build dams or nuclear or expand fracking, the Greens oppose it, but when China and the US do it, they celebrate...?
Man, this is getting confusing!!!

Amidst all the Green posturing and gloating about this supposed 'Climate deal' signed by China and the US, I can't help but notice the irony that US emissions are dropping on the back of fracking, which the Greens hate, and the Chinese promised emissions cuts will mostly come from building more dams and more nuclear power plants... Both of which the Greens hate...
When we try and build dams or nuclear or expand fracking, the Greens oppose it, but when China and the US do it, they celebrate...?
Man, this is getting confusing!!!

Yes, well the Greens tend to oppose everything anyway, so we can forget their loony left fringe. But even Allan Jones opposes fracking in Australia! Go figure!

I keep hearing the Libs stating that electricity consumption has dropped 15%, could this possibly be due to the closure of so many manufacturing companies and not just householders using alternative energy?
This is likely to worsen with Ford and Toyota closures, then what, more price increases?

Us South Aussies are well ahead of the game.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-23/sa-commits-to-50-per-cent-renewable-energy-target/5763640
The South Australian Government says it will increase its Renewable Energy Target (RET) and aim for 50 per cent of the state's power to be generated by renewables by 2025.

Premier Jay Weatherill said figures from last financial year showed 31.5 per cent of energy produced in the state came from renewable sources.

He said updated figures were expected to show SA had since exceeded its current target of 33 per cent by 2020.

"Modelling shows that the RET has underpinned $5.5 billion of expenditure to date," he said.

"[It is] forecast to support a further $4.5 billion by 2025.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/south-australia-hits-100-renewables-for-a-whole-working-day-86069
There have been several instances in recent months when wind energy has accounted for all, or nearly all, electricity demand in South Australia. Last Tuesday, however, set a new benchmark – the combination of wind energy and rooftop solar provided more than 100 per cent of the state’s electricity needs, for a whole working day between 9.30am and 6pm.

The data comes from Hugh Saddler, at consultants Pitt & Sherry, and is part of his monthly overview of electricity market, emissions and pricing trends in Australia.

Saddler notes there were several periods in South Australia from Saturday September 27, and over the following days, when wind generation was greater than total state NEM demand. (South Australia has nearly half the country’s wind capacity with around 1.5GW of wind energy).

It occurred briefly on Saturday afternoon, for much of Sunday, and again, most strikingly, between about 9.30am and 6.00pm on Tuesday, September 30, a normal working day.

In reality, renewables contributed well over 100 per cent because they were generating and consuming their own electricity from rooftop solar – the state has 550MW of rooftop solar, with nearly one in four houses with rooftop modules.
Who needs Olympic Dam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep hearing the Libs stating that electricity consumption has dropped 15%, could this possibly be due to the closure of so many manufacturing companies and not just householders using alternative energy?
This is likely to worsen with Ford and Toyota closures, then what, more price increases?

The cause is a bit of both - household consumption has dropped due to a shift to solar as well as improved home energy efficiency, in response to rising prices, as well as some manufacturing shutdown.

Unless the government intervenes, prices are likely to go up, mainly in the form of the fixed charges component of a bill as the utilities are losing money on the variable use section. Worst outcome for consumers would be as in some jurisdictions in Florida where it is effectively illegal to live off-grid. You must have a connection (and pay for it) even if you don't use it.

It's all part of the utilities seeking to recoup their gold-plating costs.

The cause is a bit of both - household consumption has dropped due to a shift to solar as well as improved home energy efficiency, in response to rising prices, as well as some manufacturing shutdown.

Unless the government intervenes, prices are likely to go up, mainly in the form of the fixed charges component of a bill as the utilities are losing money on the variable use section. Worst outcome for consumers would be as in some jurisdictions in Florida where it is effectively illegal to live off-grid. You must have a connection (and pay for it) even if you don't use it.

It's all part of the utilities seeking to recoup their gold-plating costs.
Thought that government already subsides infrastructure costs, but can see your point about more government intervention. Got to keep those companies and shareholders happy.

Thought that government already subsides infrastructure costs, but can see your point about more government intervention. Got to keep those companies and shareholders happy.

I really can't guess whether they would step into that space - the fact that they don't on domestic gas prices, suggests they won't.

Yes!

Well Tassie was way ahead of the curve with its Hydro power & expanding wind Farms. We were exporting renewable energy via Bass link. However that took a massive hit with the Abbotts return to the 1950s.
Its Interesting with Xi Jinping visiting Tasmania today, an announcement re a joint wind farm with the latest technology to be built in Tassie is positive.
Hopefully Australia can survive this Government & rejoin the rest of the world in the development of future technologies ASAP.

Here is a random question that I am sure there is a legitimate answer to. When the Carbon tax was introduced instead of giving money directly back to the poor people why didn't Labor instead give households solar panels so eventually using the money from the Carbon tax every household in the country would have enough solar panels so during a reasonably sunny day no one was using electricity?

Pink batts.

Pink batts really was a good idea though, the implementation was just rushed. I would actually support a solar panel tax or something like that designed to give every house enough solar panels to mean that during the day they were using no power from the grid. In the long run it would save everyone money.

I think solar panels need to be considered like indoor plumbing. Every household in the country needs it.

Pink batts really was a good idea though, the implementation was just rushed. I would actually support a solar panel tax or something like that designed to give every house enough solar panels to mean that during the day they were using no power from the grid. In the long run it would save everyone money.

I think solar panels need to be considered like indoor plumbing. Every household in the country needs it.

I think the implementation debacle made them gun shy of these kinds of projects.

It really would not be a cheap project, not cheap at all but once it is done it would mean that every Australian suddenly has quite a bit more disposable income (if they are halving their electricity bill).

I'm not disagreeing with you on the social and private benefits that might be achieved; it's just that governments don't do big nation building projects anymore because they're scared about the criticism.

I'd like to see some sort of incentive for those who own investment properties to install solar. It makes perfect sense as an owner/occupier but none at all for investment properties and with the housing market being the way it is, this could potentially become problematic. Perhaps some sort of tax break could encourage it.

I'd like to see some sort of incentive for those who own investment properties to install solar. It makes perfect sense as an owner/occupier but none at all for investment properties and with the housing market being the way it is, this could potentially become problematic. Perhaps some sort of tax break could encourage it.

I agree with that. The people that can benefit the most from solar panels are those who rent but people who rent can't really afford the $6000 they need to install a proper good sized solar panel system.

Also as current rules state I do not think people who rent can buy solar panels as I think the current rules state that as soon as the system is installed the system technically belongs to the owner of the house, not the person who bought it (ie the renter). I could be wrong there though.

Back