The umpiring error that cost us our season

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah well, I just wanted to lay the boot in a little bit because it brings me a bit of joy in a dour time.

Feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to go to another clubs thread and mouth off, especially after their team suffered a 71 point loss, it would have saved the Lions from that embarrassing loss if the AFL had got things right. ;)

Just popped in because I saw a comment float up on a thread complaining about a single correct umpiring decision >2 weeks ago, and blaming it on the loss and not the other reasons the game was lost.

Kinda sad really.

Ah well, I just wanted to lay the boot in a little bit because it brings me a bit of joy in a dour time.

Lay the boot in all you like champ, we have 3 recent cups to cry into and a very exciting 2023 and beyond coming. I think we’ll be right. Hope you’re ok

Just popped in because I saw a comment float up on a thread complaining about a single correct umpiring decision >2 weeks ago, and blaming it on the loss and not the other reasons the game was lost.

Kinda sad really.

😂 go celebrate your prelim showing you flog , your s**t stain of a club won’t win a flag for another 50 years

Kinda sad really.

Power rangers!!😉😄

Kinda sad really.

I hope that you feel so much better relieving yourself of your load. Best clean yourself up now, be wary of stains.

Better than both grand final teams this year.

Swans,umpire shenanigans.
Cats,Prestia kinghit,umpire shenanigans.

A year lost due to the AFL boy’s club.

Also our luck with injuries was rotten this year.

A fully fit list and premiership cup 14 would be sitting in the cabinet.

AFL fARCed us over.

Advance Richmond Fair!

Like Richmond premiership coach Fly said in his presser,I’m closing this and moving on,good times for Richmond in the future.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but while this decision was inconclusive, it horrifies me that we had 4 blokes in the goal square and not one of them could get enough fist on the ball to knock it through. It was virtually palmed into Danihers path for an easy match winner. Disgraceful effort which was similar to Geelong's winning goal against us late in the season. High ball comes in and not one defender could spoil, allowing a bloke running with the flight to mark on his chest.

The Office Someone GIF

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but while this decision was inconclusive, it horrifies me that we had 4 blokes in the goal square and not one of them could get enough fist on the ball to knock it through. It was virtually palmed into Danihers path for an easy match winner. Disgraceful effort which was similar to Geelong's winning goal against us late in the season. High ball comes in and not one defender could spoil, allowing a bloke running with the flight to mark on his chest.

No you don’t understand, the ONLY a reason Richmond lost was the ARC review. That’s IT.

And they’re clearly better than both Geelong and Sydney, such a shame they got bundled out by an irrelevant team because of the ARC umpire and nothing else.

No you don’t understand, the ONLY a reason Richmond lost was the ARC review. That’s IT.

And they’re clearly better than both Geelong and Sydney, such a shame they got bundled out by an irrelevant team because of the ARC umpire and nothing else.
Finally an oppo supporter who understands what a waste of a prelim it resulted in with the Cats essentially having a bye instead of having to earn their spot in the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you admit the ARC was the reason Richmond lost?

Go back to your own board idiot, I could understand you coming here gloating if your team were still in it but you got bloody trounced at the weekend, did you see it? Just witches hats they were. All you deserved.

The more people i talk to about this the more i am hearing people all think the call was dodgy on purpose, not an error. The same people are also commenting that Collingwood appeared to get pretty crap run in that game & i also agree. I thought that game was umpired in the same meddling tempo of our games. As soon as their run became too hot, 50's or soft calls came back in. I think its actually pretty feasible to think that the AFL have been umpiring games to preferred results for some time, but unable to get the final piece right always. I think 2016 & 17 we & the dogs benefited from that. Dee's last year, Collingwood in 2018. Swans this year. Geelong, Always

A Dangerfield vs NSW GF is Gils ultimate wet dream. And he finally got it in his last year. what "luck"

The umpiring to a result in the Collingwood v Swans game has made our situation seem more obvious to a lot of neutrals i think. I reckon we haven't seen the end of this conversation

In a weird way this incident might be the plotline which makes our Dynasty sit above all others. That we were so dominant that the league continually had to change the rules to of the game to hold us back & the league became insecure against the club due to its rapid growth. Even in our latter years of the dynasty when it was clear we are not the force we once were, we had the AFL & Geelong so spooked they paniced and did ARCGATE. This year was one of the most obvious examples of AFL meddling i have seen, our games were so crazily umpired compared to every other game i watched. Its insane how much it influenced our season. Its actually impossible to gauge just where we are as a team because of it - We played our entire season in the Twilight Zone

I implore others to do what i have been doing, which is rewatching games throughout the year, especially the ones where we felt we got a ridiculous bad run of calls. Re-watch one of those games, then re-watch the best game of that round and compare the umpiring in the 2 games. It stands out like a sore thumb. It literally happened in Rnd 1 with those 50's, and was a constant for an entire year. When put side by side with the dust of emotion blown away, its really startling how bad it was. we got screwed a lot this year

Last edited:

or just take the mark

Dimma said on 360 the explanation he got was they are going to give the goal ump the option of not making a call, and “triangulation.” Triangulation is fine in theory of course, if all 3 cameras can catch the ball at precisely the same moment, but we have a good opinion on the main board thread from a Suns supporter with expertise in the field that this is quite unlikely. And i certainly didn’t see any point where the ball appeared directly over the post from all three cameras. But we have seen some shots where the ball appears over the post from two angles, but not the third.

So what the media should really be trying to find out now is what level of accuracy the cameras have, what is the margin of error? I am sure if they divulged the precise camera specs and setup to experts someone with the necessary expertise would be able to give a good indication of the likely error margin. Then I am sure tests could be done to test the error margin of the naked eye of an average goal umpire. Only if the cameras are more accurate than the naked eye should they even consider excluding umpire’s call from the process where the umpire is not confident he has enough certainty to make a call.

I have absolutely no confidence the AFL will get this right. That same Lynch kick happens after a siren in a Grand Final to decide the game, they will be open to the result of the game being decided in courts over the off season. Say the umpire called goal and the ARC overturned it as happened with the Lynch goal. A club losing the GF that way is not going to just accept the ARC is correct without challenging it and getting expert opinions on it. Their supporters wouldn’t stand for it.

We have already seen that because the Tribunal system of deciding cases was incorrectly set up the result of the biggest individual award in the sport - the Brownlow Medal - was changed. It is important they get all these systems properly stress tested before any more fiascos like that occur. The Tribunal’s failure to meet a reasonable standard for procedural fairness, which is a very basic legal requirement for any such disciplinary system, reflects absolutely shamefully on the AFL. I knew in advance the Tribunal system was not sound just from helping some people with disputes with their employers over the years. How the AFL Legal Counsel could possibly not know that until a QC came in and drove a truck through their procedures beggars belief.

And now here we are again, they look like creating another system with potential legal holes in it.

Dimma said on 360 the explanation he got was they are going to give the goal ump the option of not making a call, and “triangulation.” Triangulation is fine in theory of course, if all 3 cameras can catch the ball at precisely the same moment, but we have a good opinion on the main board thread from a Suns supporter with expertise in the field that this is quite unlikely. And i certainly didn’t see any point where the ball appeared directly over the post from all three cameras. But we have seen some shots where the ball appears over the post from two angles, but not the third.

So what the media should really be trying to find out now is what level of accuracy the cameras have, what is the margin of error? I am sure if they divulged the precise camera specs and setup to experts someone with the necessary expertise would be able to give a good indication of the likely error margin. Then I am sure tests could be done to test the error margin of the naked eye of an average goal umpire. Only if the cameras are more accurate than the naked eye should they even consider excluding umpire’s call from the process where the umpire is not confident he has enough certainty to make a call.

I have absolutely no confidence the AFL will get this right. That same Lynch kick happens after a siren in a Grand Final to decide the game, they will be open to the result of the game being decided in courts over the off season. Say the umpire called goal and the ARC overturned it as happened with the Lynch goal. A club losing the GF that way is not going to just accept the ARC is correct without challenging it and getting expert opinions on it. Their supporters wouldn’t stand for it.

We have already seen that because the Tribunal system of deciding cases was incorrectly set up the result of the biggest individual award in the sport - the Brownlow Medal - was changed. It is important they get all these systems properly stress tested before any more fiascos like that occur. The Tribunal’s failure to meet a reasonable standard for procedural fairness, which is a very basic legal requirement for any such disciplinary system, reflects absolutely shamefully on the AFL. I knew in advance the Tribunal system was not sound just from helping some people with disputes with their employers over the years. How the AFL Legal Counsel could possibly not know that until a QC came in and drove a truck through their procedures beggars belief.

And now here we are again, they look like creating another system with potential legal holes in it.
There is also an angle where the ball appears to be behind the post before reaching the top of the post. How did they account for that in their ruling? Did that not create enough uncertainty or were they only looking for evidence to overturn the decision? And where is the explanation for the fans?

Sometimes you’ve got to move on for the sake of your own mental health. I was fuming for a long time but once you realise that even if you ultimately get satisfaction from them admitting their error (which they won’t do) or confirming there’s no other footage, the result is not going to be changed.

So I can’t actually see what could possibly be done or what answers could be given that would
make me feel any better about the cluster f*ck that played out on Thursday night. There’s a good chance the outcome makes me feel even worse, so ultimately what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is what i have been saying about yourself & many of your mates here - soft as butter. Act as if your "love" of the club is more valuable as you refuse to be critical - want to waggle fingers and curl your lips at supporters who might show a critical attitude to Dimma, the club, etc. But, when the going gets tough you all want to allow yourselves to be cheated, treated lesser than - in the sacred quest to protect your mental health.

How you work on your mental health mate is to challenge it. If your plan to strengthen your mental health is im going to put my head in the sand about something which is, apparently, incredibly important to you - then i dare say you are not protecting your mental health, you are hiding from it. Just my same 2 cents on the matter. Realistically, i cant actually understand how anyone needs to accept being cheated or treated lesser than in the name of self preservation. It's not that challenging to just stay appropriately upset at something unjustic.

And they did all this in 7 seconds?

It's strange how all season if it's not 100% clear it goes back to the umpires call and in this case.............

For maybe the millionth time there is no extremely complex calculation or computer program to look at the triangulation of the ball. It’s literally just having a basic understanding of high school mathematics, you can look at the three camera angles and if they’re all over the post then the ball is over the post.

For maybe the millionth time there is no extremely complex calculation or computer program to look at the triangulation of the ball. It’s literally just having a basic understanding of high school mathematics, you can look at the three camera angles and if they’re all over the post then the ball is over the post.
All Camera's need to be taking shots at the exact same moment otherwise it is moot point. Considering the speed at which the ball travels and time delay in the shots would mean calc is shot to pieces

Remove this Banner Ad

Back