The Weakest Link?

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What is Melbourne's biggest weakness going into this season?

From a ruck point of view we actually look reasonable - Jeff White, Darren Jolly and Mark Jamar are a decent trio of rucks.

We've always had a host of small defenders who like to run off, such as Whelan, Ward, Brown.

To me that leaves tall defenders, midfield, tall forward or small forwards? At this stage I can't really pin point which area looks the weakest - opinions?

Originally posted by footyman
What is Melbourne's biggest weakness going into this season?

From a ruck point of view we actually look reasonable - Jeff White, Darren Jolly and Mark Jamar are a decent trio of rucks.

We've always had a host of small defenders who like to run off, such as Whelan, Ward, Brown.

To me that leaves tall defenders, midfield, tall forward or small forwards? At this stage I can't really pin point which area looks the weakest - opinions?

At a glance I'd say...

1) Tall defenders, Nicholson led us in spoils last season despite playing what 8 games?:eek: Even if he plays every game who's going to help out down back? Holland is an unknown quantity in a Dees guernsey, at least one could say in recruiting him we're attempting to adress this. Carroll on occasions did well on others he was poor. Bizzell was admirable but he's wasted at CHB. Rivers has shown improvement but can he cut it during the real season? Lamb probably won't be given another chance unfortunatley.

2) Small forwards, this won't be a problem for us IF Vardy stays fit. Throw in either Davey or Armstrong as cover & we should be fine. We had no crumbing for the majority of last season & it hurt us terribly.

3) Tall forwards, we saw improvement in big "Frosty" Miller but he struggles to play 4 quarters. The only other real tall forward we have is Nick Smith, he has bucket hands but is too often over looked by Sandy teammates on the occasions I saw him last season. Needs to be more mobile & demand that footy! He is on the improve as well but may still be a year away from really imposing himself. Bruce, Robertson,Wheatley etc are all medium size players who chip in up forward, all have played well at CHF/HFF in the past but aren't ideal there. Bruce is required in Midfield & Wheatley is best used on a wing/HBF.

4) Midfield, Yze, TJ & Godders starting in the middle we CAN have a good balance. Skill from Yze & Johnno plus hardness & accountability from Godders. Throw in the improving Thompson & the steady Macca. We have plenty of options. The decisive long kicking of Rigoni CAN demoralise teams. Brown gets plenty of it but must use it like he did in 02. McLean & Sylvia hopefully bring us the best of both worlds, but they need time & someone who'll get into the trenches with them. On it's day it's a good midfield but as we speak I think we're 1 short. McLean, Sylvia, Thompson, Armstrong etc... could top us off but it's a big could right now.

I think we've made some progress into adressing our deficiencies. How much progress is yet to be seen, we need a few to have breakout seasons. It happened in 2000 & 2002 but didn't in 99,01 & 03.

Originally posted by The Shev
Basically, when compared to Brisbane, the players simply aren't as good.

No team can match them, for a variety of resons....

We beat Brisbane @ the Gabba in 2002, they hardly looked invincible that day. With a bit of momentum & confidence we can beat anyone. Consistency is our main deficiency.

That last sentence sounds like an advertising slogan!
:rolleyes: :eek:

Melbournes weak point is their lack of Crumbing forwards.

You have a good tall fward line.
eg Neitz, Holland, Robertson, Bruce and Green.
But you dont have any half decent crumbing forwards, eg ,Leight Harding, or Brent HArvey

Originally posted by NorthBoi96
Melbournes weak point is their lack of Crumbing forwards.

You have a good tall fward line.
eg Neitz, Holland, Robertson, Bruce and Green.
But you dont have any half decent crumbing forwards, eg ,Leight Harding, or Brent HArvey

Closet Melbourne supporter! :rolleyes: :D

You are right though we need 20+ games from Vardy, he fit at the moment so fingers crossed.

No way, in a million years, will i follow Melbourne.
I dont like their history, with all that money floating around, i will always back the underdog.
eg North Melbourne
And when i lived in England i followed Manchester City, not united

Go Roos

Originally posted by NorthBoi96
No way, in a million years, will i follow Melbourne.
I dont like their history, with all that money floating around, i will always back the underdog.
eg North Melbourne
And when i lived in England i followed Manchester City, not united

Go Roos

We have no $$$!

I din't realise however that you were a Man City fan & therefore instantly a top bloke!

haha, oh yes Go CITY

Ive gots heaps of family over there, living in Manchester, and THEY ALL follow United.
That feral Black and Red army, just like the feral black and red army over here, oh yeah, and that feral black and white army too.

If you live in or near Manchester and wanted to follow the underdogs couldn't you go for Stockport, Oldham or Macclesfield. Or have I got my geography all ****ed up?

City are hardly underdogs - even when they lost the plot and went down to division two (and won that playoff final in the most bizarre circumstances) they were just a big club down on their luck.

Originally posted by Supermercado
If you live in or near Manchester and wanted to follow the underdogs couldn't you go for Stockport, Oldham or Macclesfield. Or have I got my geography all ****ed up?

City are hardly underdogs - even when they lost the plot and went down to division two (and won that playoff final in the most bizarre circumstances) they were just a big club down on their luck.

No your geography's fine.

Oh & by the way it's a MASSIVE club alright! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our biggest problem for the last couple of years has been lack of onfield leadership over the whole ground. Neitz is ok (no one else available though) but in the midfield and backline whe have been devoid of mature leader type players.

Originally posted by Demonheart
Our biggest problem for the last couple of years has been lack of onfield leadership over the whole ground. Neitz is ok (no one else available though) but in the midfield and backline whe have been devoid of mature leader type players.

Bizzell is the lead by example type in defence, if players can't draw some insparation from a guy like him, I don't know what it would take.

Think you have a point on the midfield though.

Originally posted by BT
Bizzell is the lead by example type in defence, if players can't draw some insparation from a guy like him, I don't know what it would take.

Think you have a point on the midfield though.

Aye, I did forget the Biz, but with most top teams, including us when we made the GF, have leaders on every line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back