Beauty & Style Things that everyone likes but you just dont get

Remove this Banner Ad

I've discovered in the beautifulpeople.com thread that apparently people are all over the extremely fake/plastic 'supermodel' type. I.e.
2lkfxpj.png

Does absolutely sweet * all for me. Seriously wouldn't look twice in the street.

Natural beauty/cuteness = the only beauty as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't say that everyone likes this, but one thing I can never get patriotic about is bush poetry.

Coffee, and everything about it.
The way people "need" their coffee. The way people use not having had their coffee as an excuse to be a cockstain. The smell. Had a rep at work the other day ring up and organise a meeting, and he asked "Are you a coffee drinker?" I said "No, don't drink it at all personally." He reacted as if i'd said i like to collect ball sweat and use it as facial scrub.
F*ck coffee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll preface my post by saying in no way am I bagging people for liking any of these - they just don't do it for me. But it would be a pretty miserable world if we all had the same tastes.

Coffee - all sorts, all baristas - tried to like it for social reasons. Nope.
Background music - whether loud or soft. If I want to listen to music, I listen to music. If I want to listen to somebody, I don't want music in the background. Particularly dislike music in Restaurants.
Tattoos and Piercings. All types. Even ears.
Stockings - the least sexy item of clothing that's supposed to be sexy.
Ski-ing - I can get cold and wet in the bath.

Only exception is if you meet a hot chick with one or two piercings, there's a very good chance she's a dirty, pleasure-loving soul. Which can be quite pleasant.

Remember folks, this isn't a hate thread, it's about social trends that you just don't get.

I nominate those stupid flat peak caps with the shiny stickers on them. They look ridiculous and don't really function as hats.

Also Nespresso machines. I'm not a coffee drinker, but surely these things are as much about marketing spin than they are about the product they produce? Plus every cup of coffee leads to one of those little aluminium pod things going to landfill.

Small/medium 4WDs. I get the concept, I just don't get the reality. The whole reason you buy a Toyota LandCruiser or a Nissan Patrol etc. is its functionality - it can go off road. It's big, has high ground clearance, is built on a ladder frame chassis and has 4 driven wheels and a low range gearbox. If there was an equivalent vehicle 3/4 the size I'd probably get one. As it is there is a series of cars 1/2 to 3/4 the size with between zero and bugger all similar functionality. Less ground clearance, monocoque construction, petrol only engines, no low range gearbox... essentially just a station wagon that's a bit taller. Chances are if you own one of these cars (and in many cases a proper 4WD also - shakes head) you will never take it off road because it will fall apart, so it begs the question why buy it in the first place? A small sedan will be cheaper to buy and run and easier to drive and park, a large sedan/wagon cheaper to buy and run and easier to drive and park and will have room for the kids etc., and a van will give you the most flexibility and space for carrying kids/stuff.

Northcote - The suburb. Just horrible. High Street is the end of the world. Take your vegan and boutique shops and piss off somewhere else. All you hipsters would die if you saw what High Street was like 15 years ago. Give me Theo in his dirty singlet serving up cheap fish and chips and swearing at you any day of the week than some pompous clown in a beanie sipping on his latte discussing the latest Greens policies.

Nerds - Not regular every day nerds. I'm talking the Star Trek costume wearing types. I was recently asked at the supermarket by a kid at the checkout if I was into manga. I said no and he proceeded to tell me about comic-con for the next 10 minutes. I find Nerds being Nerds out in the open more offensive than beastiality. And people find them "cute" or "off beat". Heres another word for them - Virgins.

Ute Muster - Really? People are using bombs in Afghanistan? Stop wasting them. Especially if Barnsy, Farnsy, Guy Sebastian or Shannon Noll are performing there. The nations average IQ would triple if we organised these and then blow them away.

Flat Peak Hats - I don't know what they are called, but you all look like idiots wearing them, why is the sticker still on there? Hats are meant to be curved. You look like special kids from the 90's who didn't know how to curve their hats.

Two and a Half Men - Not funny

Also Nespresso machines. I'm not a coffee drinker, but surely these things are as much about marketing spin than they are about the product they produce? Plus every cup of coffee leads to one of those little aluminium pod things going to landfill.

Small/medium 4WDs. I get the concept, I just don't get the reality. The whole reason you buy a Toyota LandCruiser or a Nissan Patrol etc. is its functionality - it can go off road. It's big, has high ground clearance, is built on a ladder frame chassis and has 4 driven wheels and a low range gearbox. If there was an equivalent vehicle 3/4 the size I'd probably get one. As it is there is a series of cars 1/2 to 3/4 the size with between zero and bugger all similar functionality. Less ground clearance, monocoque construction, petrol only engines, no low range gearbox... essentially just a station wagon that's a bit taller. Chances are if you own one of these cars (and in many cases a proper 4WD also - shakes head) you will never take it off road because it will fall apart, so it begs the question why buy it in the first place? A small sedan will be cheaper to buy and run and easier to drive and park, a large sedan/wagon cheaper to buy and run and easier to drive and park and will have room for the kids etc., and a van will give you the most flexibility and space for carrying kids/stuff.

Convenience on the Nespresso machine part, parents have one of the MAP machines, works out at about 35c a cup and a lot more foolproof in a hurry, has a proper frother built on. You can get a better cup out of a proper machine but for your average drinker they're going to get a better result from a pod machine than cheap machine.

Small 4wds most don't buy one for its functionality or off road performance, most would never have seen a dirt road. All about status and the misconception that they're safer and the perfect car for a wife... Myself i own one of the 2nd gen Rav 4's which well at least it's AWD, mainly like it because it's incredibly comfortable to drive, small but good clearance. With how many speed bumps and shight roads there is around it is a hell of a lot better on the back than my old sportscar. Other big bonus is people at least see you most of the time also really easy to park and drive, no worse on the petrol than most 4cyls...

Has anyone nominated Corona?

I don't hate the stuff and if someone hands me a cold one I'll certainly drink it, but how on Earth does it have premium beer status over here? Bland, watery and certainly not 'premium' in other parts of the World. People spend $50+ buying cartons of the stuff, and go out to pubs and spend $8-10 buying stubbies of it when pints of nice draught beer are the same price... Odd.

Has anyone nominated Corona?

I don't hate the stuff and if someone hands me a cold one I'll certainly drink it, but how on Earth does it have premium beer status over here? Bland, watery and certainly not 'premium' in other parts of the World. People spend $50+ buying cartons of the stuff, and go out to pubs and spend $8-10 buying stubbies of it when pints of nice draught beer are the same price... Odd.
Was actually one of the few beers I could stand to drink when I actually consumed alcohol, one of the few that doesn't just taste like bitter brown gunk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back