Social Science Things that make you question societies intelligence

Remove this Banner Ad

The number of people who are willing to trade their dignity on national television for appearing on a reality show - dating, cooking, singing, losing weight etc.

True, people have always been willing to go on TV shows for years, but there is a lot of difference between a person appearing as a contestant on a quiz show or being interviewed on a lifestyle show with making an exhibition of yourself on a reality show over several weeks.

Agree with the first one. Blows my mind how anyone could not understand how to use one.

People's inability to solve simple addition/subtraction sums really blows my mind. At work last year I saw a bloke in his 40s/50s pull out a calculator to solve a problem along the lines of 320+45. I couldn't believe it. I lose all respect for someone's intelligence when I see that sort of thing.

I can forgive teenagers working in retail, but seeing it from grown adults is pretty embarassing.

Did he have a disability?

If not, then that's real poor.

Been around other people with disabilities who struggle with basic maths and spelling.

Surely a 26 year old with a disability knows what 270 + 50 is without resorting to finger counting or calculators.

There's Banana Milk & Strawberry Milk too, Milk isn't limited to animals.
There's bull milk too, although that takes ages to milk and is a bit too thick for cereal.

Um, I heard :$

Last edited:
There's bull milk too, although that takes ages to milk and is a bit too think for cereal.

Um, I heard :$
Spoken to many farmers who tell me it's all about getting a good seal around the vessel from which you're milking.

Spoken to many farmers who tell me it's all about getting a good seal around the vessel from which you're milking.
I try but my lips just don't stretch that far... wait, wut?

1. The majority of reality television
2. Celebrity culture
3. Ignorance/intolerance regarding racism, sexism etc.

Agree with the first one. Blows my mind how anyone could not understand how to use one.

People's inability to solve simple addition/subtraction sums really blows my mind. At work last year I saw a bloke in his 40s/50s pull out a calculator to solve a problem along the lines of 320+45. I couldn't believe it. I lose all respect for someone's intelligence when I see that sort of thing.

I can forgive teenagers working in retail, but seeing it from grown adults is pretty embarassing.

I watched while a small business owner I deal with, wrote down on a piece of paper

+165

And took a good 10 seconds to reach the answer

I watched while a small business owner I deal with, wrote down on a piece of paper

+165

And took a good 10 seconds to reach the answer

It's amazing how often you see people struggle with something like that. I'm not judging anyone because I mostly think it's an issue with the education system. Arithmetic just seems to be a struggle for a lot of people. I don't even think it's a strength for me but when people struggle with a simple sum then you know they weren't well taught (or just didn't bother).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You drink the milk of lactating almonds as well.
I would only drink it if the almonds have been activated.

pete-evans-th.jpg

I would only drink it if the almonds have been activated.

pete-evans-th.jpg

I just pictured a heap of almonds on the bench in little green vests...

99% of the threads on the main board.
Just in the last days we've had:

• Sydney 2016, time to deliver?
  • How valuable are players over 30?
  • Sydney Swans avoid Collingwood fans for Adam Goodes farewell
Now, that last one stemmed from an article in The Age so can't blame the person who posted it but it was debunked in a matter of seconds as the reasoning was they play Collingwood at ANZ and wanted his farewell as the SCG. The amount of people though who would not have questioned the article and then sprouted off that Collingwood fans are disgraceful etc etc without applying critical thinking is a reflection of a vast majority of people in current society who believe everything that is written and question nothing, especially if it doesn't suit their narrative.

The amount of checkout people that when you give them for example $5.15 for something that costs $3.15 because you want an even $2 change it confuses the s**t out of them.
they can even type in the amount they're given and it will give them the change. that us how easy it is!

The number of people who are willing to trade their dignity on national television for appearing on a reality show - dating, cooking, singing, losing weight etc.

True, people have always been willing to go on TV shows for years, but there is a lot of difference between a person appearing as a contestant on a quiz show or being interviewed on a lifestyle show with making an exhibition of yourself on a reality show over several weeks.

Going on those reality shows like Big Brother, Australian Idol or The Bachelor can be a stepping stone to fame on other reality shows like I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

If they're really lucky they might even get a gig on a wacky breakfast radio show.

Going on those reality shows like Big Brother, Australian Idol or The Bachelor can be a stepping stone to fame on other reality shows like I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

If they're really lucky they might even get a gig on a wacky breakfast radio show.

This was so annoying/funny/sadly accurate.

One that gets me - when people take money out of an ATM then stand there for 2 minutes like an idiot staring at either their statement or the money they've just withdrawn.
Move along idiots and learn to read numbers a little quicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back