Beauty & Style Things where cheap isnt an option?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toilet paper
Scotch....Glenfiddich or GTFO
Shirts.....RMW or forget it.
I also buy genuine Ford parts for my car rather than generic where possible.

Shoes - the difference in comfort and how long they last mean cheap shoes are not worth it.
Beer - one good, properly naturally brewed beer without preservatives is more worthwhile than six generic ones (plus the lack of hangover)
Cheese - Especially parmesan for pasta. If it isn't the genuine Italian article, it doesn't do the job.
Milk - Unhomogenised organic milk FTW. You can get $1 per litre white liquid masquerading as milk, but don't bother.
Bread - Agree with the poster above; $5-$8 sourdough loaves properly baked are more filling and infinitely better for you.
Cars - I have a European diesel car. 120,000 km, no problems. I also have a 40-year old Kombi that is now worth 3x what I paid for it 15 years ago.

Fuel - nothing under 98 octane
Chocolate - Haigh's chocolate FTW (especially Coconut Roughs)
Airlines - tend to only fly with QANTAS or Virgin
PC parts - usually go for the mid-high range parts.
Toilet paper
Alcohol
Pizza - no Dominoes or Pizza Hut for me. Crust is where it's at.
Cars - I have a European diesel car. 120,000 km, no problems. I also have a 40-year old Kombi that is now worth 3x what I paid for it 15 years ago.
One thing I can go cheap on is Cars. But the rule is it has to be JDM and Luxury (see Toyota Crown).

I wish someone had told me the one about mattresses and bedding when I was 18. Man, so many years of epic sleeps and dreams, just wasted.

Will also add:

Suits, shirts etc. for work (with one caveat, if you can find a really top notch tailor in a "cheap" country)

Hotel Rooms. Don't have to be ridiculous, but cheap is not an option.

Motorcycle helmet. Anything that saves my face from an abrasive brush with asphalt is worth spending an appropriate sum of money.

Also, coffee. I've never had a good cup of international roast.

Cannot agree enough with the mattress, bought a cheaper bed so I could buy I better mattress, my only regret is not stealing a bed so I could get an even better mattress.

Agree Krieger. I had my first spill the other week, (only been riding for 10 months) copped the gutter in the side of my helmet at 70K's. Didn't even crack my RJays SP2, Walked away with only scratches on my arm.

Much like leathers, helmets should not be skimped on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Food
Alcohol
Traveling to get bargins

Rule 2 over-rides Rule 3, 80 dollars a bottle of hendricks gin at local bottleo, 15 minute drive to dans for 15 dollars cheaper and i'll buy my 2 to last me the week. Can't go lower then Tanq, special for 40ish and 'ill bite, cant stand Bombay or anything lower

Cigars. Not a big fan of them in general, but go a cheap cigar and everyone within a 25m radius knows you are cheap without even having to look at you.
Cheap Easter Eggs wins thread.
Electronic stuff, the cheap stuff will fail on you.
Table tennis bats, fuggen useless can't put any decent spin on the ball.
Pies, meatballs and other meat products where cheap increases liklihood of gristle, etc.
Running shoes unless you want to get injured.

From what I've been told, when painting:
The cheaper the paint, the longer the smell of paint will linger

Agree on cookware and knives. Also big kitchen appliances - food processor, stand mixer etc. should be the best you can afford.
Dental work - not that there is much scope for 'cheap' visits to the dentist but I've got a mate who works in dentistry with plenty of horror stories about people getting stuff done cheap overseas.

This can be true, an expensive watch for a formal occasion, for work or going out is the way to go. But depending on what you do day to day (at Uni etc) you wouldn't want to be wearing an expensive watch all the time. I've got a cheap watch handy which I wear quite often, costed me $2.50 and it works just fine.

wedding invitations

dcwi8.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back