Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily the best key forward on the ground in two of his three premiership wins and was basically as good as any of the others in the third. He could have/should have filled his boots in two blow-out wins in the 2022 finals and ended with about 10 in that series... oh well, he kicked the game breakers, missed the junk times.

Unlike the others listed, Colemans were never really Hawkins' thing. I'd argue that unlike the others, Hawkins could have a great game and kick 0-1 goals.

Maybe the Coleman isn't an award that Hawkins really rates? Surprised he went on to win one I guess, I mean after all as you said "Coleman's were never really Hawkins thing"

Dunno where you come up with this stuff. There's no way Hawkins would end up at another club, and there's no way Geelong would want him to go anywhere whilst he is still playing well.

People would have said the same about Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell back in the day. No-one thinks that their twilight cameos interstate makes them any less Hawthorn legends.

Hawkins' form would only be one of many considerations. I don't want Hawkins kicking bags in a team sitting in the bottom third of the ladder. I don't want potential key forwards who could take us into the next decade walking because they're stuck behind Hawkins, Cameron and Henry.

If/while we're competing for top fours and premierships, sure it's reasonable to mortgage your future a bit. But I just don't see that happening next year. The club needs to absolutely and honestly know where it's list is now and in the short-medium term and make decisions on the list accordingly. It's where Hawthorn butchered it by bringing in a guy who won a Brownlow with them (admittedly among many less defensible moves) and Richmond's probably butchered it by bringing in a guy who won their B&F in his first year (ditto).

People would have said the same about Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell back in the day. No-one thinks that their twilight cameos interstate makes them any less Hawthorn legends.

Hawkins' form would only be one of many considerations. I don't want Hawkins kicking bags in a team sitting in the bottom third of the ladder. I don't want potential key forwards who could take us into the next decade walking because they're stuck behind Hawkins, Cameron and Henry.

If/while we're competing for top fours and premierships, sure it's reasonable to mortgage your future a bit. But I just don't see that happening next year. The club needs to absolutely and honestly know where it's list is now and in the short-medium term and make decisions on the list accordingly. It's where Hawthorn butchered it by bringing in a guy who won a Brownlow with them (admittedly among many less defensible moves) and Richmond's probably butchered it by bringing in a guy who won their B&F in his first year (ditto).

I understand your point and it’s fairly understandable. I would hope that we are still competing anyway so that it would be worthwhile him staying regardless if he was still up to scratch. Sometimes if a young player is wise enough they’ll see that opportunity to stay as an understudy as being worthwhile in the long term for what they learn. It would be a pretty good way to develop, watching a stay at home monster like Hawkins and a roaming athlete like Cameron on the training track every day, to be fair

Big Tommy is a champion player and a champion person.

When he played his 300th I had been having a wretched time in my personal life and one of the few little highlights each week where I just didn’t have to think about life in general was watching the roosters and cats play footy. I could just switch off for two hours. I sent the club an email congratulating him on the landmark, and just saying what a difference it was making at that time to have something to look forward to each week, and that I enjoyed the way he played his footy and that he’d proved a lot of doubters wrong from his early career.

I got a personal response from him - quite a long one - encouraging me in my personal life just to basically keep going and that despite how s**t things might seem at a given time it could always get better, and more to the point saying that he felt genuinely touched that someone reached out the way I did.

The simple fact that he took the time to respond pretty much told me what sort of person he is.

When he played his 300th I had been having a wretched time in my personal life and one of the few little highlights each week where I just didn’t have to think about life in general was watching the roosters and cats play footy. I could just switch off for two hours. I sent the club an email congratulating him on the landmark, and just saying what a difference it was making at that time to have something to look forward to each week, and that I enjoyed the way he played his footy and that he’d proved a lot of doubters wrong from his early career.

I got a personal response from him - quite a long one - encouraging me in my personal life just to basically keep going and that despite how s**t things might seem at a given time it could always get better, and more to the point saying that he felt genuinely touched that someone reached out the way I did.

The simple fact that he took the time to respond pretty much told me what sort of person he is.

That’s a really good story, I love hearing stuff like this cos it never is brought to light. I hope things got better for you.

Up to 786 goals now, will go past Riewoldt and Richo and potentially Quinlan to sit just outside the top 10 all-time goal kickers by year's end. Exploded in the 2011 GF and hasn't looked back since.

View attachment 1937322
He did undoubtedly come of age in the 2011 GF. He announced himself in that game (finals series, really) and continued on as our most dominant key forward for the rest of his career. That said, he wasn't without his hurdles. He was having his break out season in 2012, building upon the end of his 2011 superbly. Then he goes for a mark in Perth and comes crashing down on his head, which seems something to hurt him long term. Then after that, in 2013, he is plagued by back issues that curtail his potency. For years after he is a great contested key forward but he struggles to get off the ground and is often a cause of consternation of the rebound due to his seemingly lethargic pace.

For a few years, it looked like we would see the premature demise, or at least the deterioration of, what Hawkins could have been due to his injuries and body composition. He was undoubtedly incredibly strong and if caught one out against a KPD, few could consistently beat him (I think Lake was the only one I saw do it), but as the one damaging key forward we had, he was often double or triple-teamed and his lack of pace gave him few means to remain in games when the midfield was being stifled or to out-maneuver opponents.

But I think to Tom's greater credit, his career renaissance came later in his career, once he trimmed down, got fitter and adapted his game to what the side needed more of. He's been able to become a better rounded player in his later years, and I think the work he has done here has been where he's most underrated. I remember many, even Geelong fans, saying at one point that Hawkins was a guy who relied on natural physical attributes and talents to get by, and that he was somewhat of a dinosaur, a key forward of a bygone era and that would stem his career.

So, for me, Tom's major achievement has been that he's done the opposite. When he had his setback with his back, he had to adapt and change, and he evidently struggled at times to find the right balance for him. But he's worked hard to become a player to be damaging in the modern game.

His career renaissance can also be attributed to the acquisition of Cameron, who has helped take the heat off him a bit. I feel like people also forget that for many years Tom carried the Geelong forward line basically by himself, definitely as the only dangerou key forward but also at times as pretty much the only capable forward. Take a year like 2018 - Hawkins kicked 60 followed by Menzel who only played half the season, and then it was just midfielders kicking any notable numberes of goals. 2019 a similar story. Then Tom would often be the first to come under attack from Geelong fans when we'd had a bad loss, often at times when the midfield had been flogged and Hawkins had absolutely no forward line support. He was expected to beat a defense entirely organised around stopping him, because he was the only scoring threat, and a midfield that did him no favours with delivery.

Whatever the wider competition think of him, Hawkins has been a wonderful servant of the Geelong football club. By all public appearances, a very nice and humble guy, and I think most can admit he's proven many wrong, even Geelong fans, for his longevity in the game, and a large part of that can be attributed more to his character than pure footballing talent.

that's pretty great - definitely strikes me as the gentlemanly type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my take is he has had a very peculiar career trajectory to play his most consistent footy after 30

I think evaluating this generation of forwards it is :

Buddy

-- size of the known universe --

Throw a blanket over Hawkins / Kennedy / Riewoldt

I think at times Richo is underrated a tad. He was a brilliant player and sometimes moved out of the forward line too. That 2008 season where he played on the wing, nearly won a Brownlow medal, finished 3rd. He is probably one of the best marks/contested marks in the history of the game - really good hands.

His accuracy, yeah shots on goal let him down at times but he did go at 59.2%. .....Bernie Quinlan (they called him super boot) was worse.

Where did I mention Richo?

11 times our leading goal kicker and in one of the most successful eras of all time. The other time he came second with a big haul of goals ( I think last year). His consistency is amazing and a real striking presence outside of football who represents Geelong in an amazing way.
Didn’t play in 2007 but was in the squad and contributed for close on 20 years in the game now! One of our best players ever walk up start to the all time team.

11 times our leading goal kicker and in one of the most successful eras of all time. The other time he came second with a big haul of goals ( I think last year). His consistency is amazing and a real striking presence outside of football who represents Geelong in an amazing way.
Didn’t play in 2007 but was in the squad and contributed for close on 20 years in the game now! One of our best players ever walk up start to the all time team.

Hawkins played 9 games in 2007 (debut year) and kicked 12 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back