List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Not entirely sure we get a first round pick for him.

Are we talking about Balta?

He is a FA in 2025. There would be zero chance we would trade him this year unless it was for a top 10 pick + something extra considering he would likely trigger Band 1 compo next year.

Are we talking about Balta?

He is a FA in 2025. There would be zero chance we would trade him this year unless it was for a top 10 pick + something extra considering he would likely trigger Band 1 compo next year.
Pre fa would need to be 2 very early pics to even get us interested , Coll have a r2 pic this year so keep walking , there window is shut now I wouldn’t get too excited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not talking tpp I’m talking draft pics they don’t have a r1 went to freo , to make a pre fa move it needs to move the earth they got NOTHING
Sorry was talking about contract.
Even if they had a 1st why would they 1yr out from RFA.

Looking like Richmond will be freeing up alot of cap space this year

Prestia - $600
Grimes - $450
Graham - $450
Dusty - $1.2 mil
Baker - $600k
Pickett - $450

Could be as much as $5 mil
$5 Mill saved and going towards the PRO devo!

The fact people are actively advocating for a North Melbourne style ‘older’ player cull when we’ve clearly seen what the result of that would be is baffling
I'm one who wants a cull, but I also have a group of 12-15 older players that should be retained where possible, to give us that experience core the kids can be played alongside to ensure that we remain competitive on the field and not become the next WCE/North.

Martin
Pickett*
Naismith*
Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
D.Rioli
Baker
Taranto
Graham
Bolton
Balta

Of that group, Martin has a decision to make, stay with us, head elsewhere or retire. Graham is a free agent who has put off talks and Baker & Broad could be headed back to WA given reports both have either purchased or are building homes in WA.

* - Pickett is in that group, but it depends on his court case and how that progresses. Naismith is another that is part of it, depending on how Ryan develops this year as well as Naismiths body.

That means that Grimes Prestia & McIntosh are the older ones that I would be cutting, while we could also lose 1 or more of Martin Broad Baker or Graham. So it could be up to 7 experience players that move on this year.

I'm one who wants a cull, but I also have a group of 12-15 older players that should be retained where possible, to give us that experience core the kids can be played alongside to ensure that we remain competitive on the field and not become the next WCE/North.

Martin
Pickett*
Naismith*
Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
D.Rioli
Baker
Taranto
Graham
Bolton
Balta

Of that group, Martin has a decision to make, stay with us, head elsewhere or retire. Graham is a free agent who has put off talks and Baker & Broad could be headed back to WA given reports both have either purchased or are building homes in WA.

* - Pickett is in that group, but it depends on his court case and how that progresses. Naismith is another that is part of it, depending on how Ryan develops this year as well as Naismiths body.

That means that Grimes Prestia & McIntosh are the older ones that I would be cutting, while we could also lose 1 or more of Martin Broad Baker or Graham. So it could be up to 7 experience players that move on this year.
North Melbourne delisted 11 in what was a zenith of their list turnover. None of them were world beaters but that amount of mature bodies departing the list in four years has seen them finish 18th, 18th, 17th and 16th

The early picks they’ve drafted have quickly gotten losing engrained in their culture. It would be folly to go down the same path

North Melbourne delisted 11 in what was a zenith of their list turnover. None of them were world beaters but that amount of mature bodies departing the list in four years has seen them finish 18th, 18th, 17th and 16th

The early picks they’ve drafted have quickly gotten losing engrained in their culture. It would be folly to go down the same path
That's why I'd like to keep as many of that first group as possible, so that we do have that experienced core to provide leadership & experience. Even if we were to lose 5-7 of them through retirement/free agency/trade, we'll still have a good core there, but it will mean that we need some of those unproven kids to step up over the remainder of this year, so that we don't end up in WCE/North territory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back