Fantasy Tradeaway League 2014 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

EagleOz, where are though?

It's been your pick for over 24 hours now!

Did we have a time limit on picks in this draft?

For those of you who've done a lot more fantasy on BF than me (this being my first season in BF fantasy), how hard could it be to set up a live draft? And if you put it at say, 8pm on a weeknight and put that in the rules of entry, would it be reasonable to then say that if people can't make it on draft night, then don't enter?

I'm really just hypothesizing. It's obviously too late to do anything about this season. And it was really the Cutthroat League that got me thinking about this moreso than the Tradeaway league.

For those of you who've done a lot more fantasy on BF than me (this being my first season in BF fantasy), how hard could it be to set up a live draft? And if you put it at say, 8pm on a weeknight and put that in the rules of entry, would it be reasonable to then say that if people can't make it on draft night, then don't enter?

I'm really just hypothesizing. It's obviously too late to do anything about this season. And it was really the Cutthroat League that got me thinking about this moreso than the Tradeaway league.
Impossible, IMO. I've got a 10 team league with mates and we can't even get all 10 together at the same time. Fat chance getting internet randoms to all be available at the same time.

One rule I'd like to discuss, which was something I was going to institute in my version of the tradeaway league that I never got around to starting this year, was....

My idea was that it was a match-up league. So scoring would be something like where if your QB scored more points than the other guys QB, you got 1 pt. And if your RB beat his RB you got 1 pt. So now you're up 2 pts. And his WR1 beat your WR1, so he gets 1 pt. Now 2-1 your way. Etc thru the starting roster. So you end up winning games 9-3 or 7-5, etc. As opposed to the collective fantasy points of your team vs the collective points of his fantasy team.

Then the same thing happens...winner gets to trade a player for a player from the same position of his choice.

Which made the idea of winning based more on good management match-ups instead of just scoring more points, or lucking out with one player scoring a whopping 40 pts that tipped you over the edge. Eg, of trickery, you put Calvin Johnson at OP1 because you notice he has Cam Newton at OP1, you thinking I have a little weakness at QB, so if i move Megatron to OP1 I could hopefully beat out that match-up. Etc.

I was struggling to find a method on ESPN/Yahoo/NFL where such a scoring method could be created, why I delayed creating it so I could do more research, but eventually got swamped for time by work, podcasts, cutthroat, empire, alpha, ae, etc.

So just wanted to ask NakedDeadGuy and the rest of you if you like that idea or not. Perhaps its doable manually. Like post-week, commish manually edits the score of each match-up to a 1 or 0 result. Which would also alter the results of games that by default ESPN has decided by total fantasy points.

Otherwise, I'll just try to create that concept next year (perhaps in MFL, where scoring methods like that are perhaps doable).

MFL also the only site that would allow me to run a Survivor league (40+ people in one league), where lowest total pts scorers get eliminated each week until there's 1 person remaining. Do-able by changing roster size gradually each week.

Both ideas to run + empire, would be like $200 each year to pay for. Grrr. Is the only problem.

But i really love the idea of both those concepts----match-up and survivor, to go along with Cutthroat. Really different unique fantasy concepts that perhaps stand the test of time on this board.

I like the idea but you can't do that mid way through the draft IMO. I'm also really quite interested to see how this league will play out as is atm with the trade-away concept. No need to change.

I'll take my pick now.

Last edited:
Here's a problem...

The email I gave ESPN isn't one that I use every day - I check it on weekends, that's about it.

So I didn't know the invites for the league had been sent. And now it won't let me accept the invitation because the draft is underway.

Solutions anyone?

Soon as the draft is over, you can rejoin. It's not a big deal.

Or, NakedDeadGuy can just tell the espn league page we are NOT in the draft, remove all those players he's added, reinvite you, your link will work, and you will join, and then he can start the draft on the espn page anytime after.

I actually think it would be better for ndg to just wait till our offline draft is fully over, and then in one 30 min sitting he can upload all the draft results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick question in regards to the weekly trading. You can only trade like for like players right? So if an opponent has a player in their QB slot you're interested in, and you've got a QB in one of your OP slots you can trade that yeah?

Also, can you trade players on and off from bench positions?

Quick question in regards to the weekly trading. You can only trade like for like players right? So if an opponent has a player in their QB slot you're interested in, and you've got a QB in one of your OP slots you can trade that yeah?

Also, can you trade players on and off from bench positions?

If you have a WR at OP and they have QB at OP, and you win and want that QB, then you trade position for position....where they are exactly matched up. But remember you can only carry 2 QBs. If you have another QB at OP you wouldn't be able to offload that WR at OP for the QB at OP.

Bench players is a good question. I'm guessing you can also choose to trade a bench player for a bench player.

NakedDeadGuy please elaborate on these good questions.

If you have a WR at OP and they have QB at OP, and you win and want that QB, then you trade position for position....where they are exactly matched up. But remember you can only carry 2 QBs. If you have another QB at OP you wouldn't be able to offload that WR at OP for the QB at OP.

Bench players is a good question. I'm guessing you can also choose to trade a bench player for a bench player.

NakedDeadGuy please elaborate on these good questions.
GG is right, any trade has to be like for like, as long as they were in both starting lineups that week. No bench trades, is where a little of bit of strategy may come into it. If I think I've got no hope v GG, I can bench 3 to "protect" them - although I obviously miss out on possibly causing an upset.
If you want to trade for a QB at OP slot, you would have to trade one of your QBs - but they would have had to have been in that weeks starting lineup, whether at QB or OP slot. Hope that makes sense?

In regards to the draft, it has dragged a couple of times. Think at the end of this round, to give everyone a chance to be made aware that a 24 hour clock will be on each pick, then missed. If a pick is missed you can come back and draft asap but miss out on who may have been taken.

One rule I'd like to discuss, which was something I was going to institute in my version of the tradeaway league that I never got around to starting this year, was....

My idea was that it was a match-up league. So scoring would be something like where if your QB scored more points than the other guys QB, you got 1 pt. And if your RB beat his RB you got 1 pt. So now you're up 2 pts. And his WR1 beat your WR1, so he gets 1 pt. Now 2-1 your way. Etc thru the starting roster. So you end up winning games 9-3 or 7-5, etc. As opposed to the collective fantasy points of your team vs the collective points of his fantasy team.

Then the same thing happens...winner gets to trade a player for a player from the same position of his choice.

Which made the idea of winning based more on good management match-ups instead of just scoring more points, or lucking out with one player scoring a whopping 40 pts that tipped you over the edge. Eg, of trickery, you put Calvin Johnson at OP1 because you notice he has Cam Newton at OP1, you thinking I have a little weakness at QB, so if i move Megatron to OP1 I could hopefully beat out that match-up. Etc.

I was struggling to find a method on ESPN/Yahoo/NFL where such a scoring method could be created, why I delayed creating it so I could do more research, but eventually got swamped for time by work, podcasts, cutthroat, empire, alpha, ae, etc.

So just wanted to ask NakedDeadGuy and the rest of you if you like that idea or not. Perhaps its doable manually. Like post-week, commish manually edits the score of each match-up to a 1 or 0 result. Which would also alter the results of games that by default ESPN has decided by total fantasy points.
I like the idea, but not this year for this comp. Would def be on board with this concept though!

Here's a problem...

The email I gave ESPN isn't one that I use every day - I check it on weekends, that's about it.

So I didn't know the invites for the league had been sent. And now it won't let me accept the invitation because the draft is underway.

Solutions anyone?
Have reset the draft, should be able to go now?

In regards to the draft, it has dragged a couple of times. Think at the end of this round, to give everyone a chance to be made aware that a 24 hour clock will be on each pick, then missed. If a pick is missed you can come back and draft asap but miss out on who may have been taken.

I'd make it 12 hours... If we all check at least once a day you know if your pick is coming up. ie: if I logged on this morning at 8AM and saw that my pick is 2 picks away, I know I should be up that evening.

Does anyone in this league work evenings? If not I'd suggest we all get online between 9PM and 11PM (just 2 hours) tonight or tomorrow night. Get an idea on who you need at what position, look at who's left on the board and do your homework.

If we could clear through 2 or 3 rounds it'd make all the difference in getting ready for week 1.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back