Training Training Report - Fri 5th Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very warm and sunny at Waverley this morning. I was hoping to catch a match simulation but that happened on Wednesday (see photos on HFC website). It was a smaller contingent out there today, maybe 30 Players all up and a few of them only stayed out for a very short time. Lots of running for the first hour or so but eventually there were small match style drills taking place so I will give you my take on what I saw.

James Sicily really stood out today. He was playing full forward for the green team with Gibbo manning up on him. He took a beautiful overheard contested mark, he got in front of Gibbo and his leap was just too good, he took it at full stretch. Then he went back about 40 metres on a 45 degree angle and slotted it. His work in general play was great as well, hitting targets with a fair degree of difficulty.

Sam Mitchell was slicing it up as usual, just sidestepping his way through traffic and delivering with perfection. At one stage he Sidestepped Hartung, but Billy didn’t give up the chase, so Mitch just kept moving laterally for a good 10 or 15 metres managing to evade Hartung until he was able to deliver a low flat handball 20 metres away to his teammate. Looks like he is ready for another stellar season.

Liam Shiels was running rampant in the mid field, laying tackles and kicking goals.

Brendan Whitecross looks in great shape. He was getting a lot of the ball at half back and driving it in forward. He is moving really well.

Kaiden Brand, Litherland & Big Boy all looking sharp as well.

On the downside, Will Langford looks to have injured himself. Was only out there for a short time doing handball drills and has his left knee bandaged up.

Spang also still in rehab group.

Surman walked the boundary line.

That’s all I’ve got today.

This is my final report for the summer although there is a chance that I will be able to get down there one more time next week, and if I do I will report back. Hope you’ve found my reports enjoyable and informative. Go Hawks!!

Last edited:

Just add my thanks to the list Axeman. Starve for info in this part of the world, so your reports are a Godsend, especially for someone who has attended so many of Hawthorn's training sessions, even from the old days at Glenferrie.

Very warm and sunny at Waverley this morning. I was hoping to catch a match simulation but that happened on Wednesday (see photos on HFC website). It was a smaller contingent out there today, maybe 30 Players all up and a few of them only stayed out for a very short time. Lots of running for the first hour or so but eventually there were small match style drills taking place so I will give you my take on what I saw.

James Sicily really stood out today. He was playing full forward for the green team with Gibbo manning up on him. He took a beautiful overheard contested mark, he got in front of Gibbo and his leap was just too good, he took it at full stretch. Then he went back about 40 metres on a 45 degree angle and slotted it. His work in general play was great as well, hitting targets with a fair degree of difficulty.

Sam Mitchell was slicing it up as usual, just sidestepping his way through traffic and delivering with perfection. At one stage he Sidestepped Hartung, but Billy didn’t give up the chase, so Mitch just kept moving laterally for a good 10 or 15 metres managing to evade Hartung until he was able to deliver a low flat handball 20 metres away to his teammate. Looks like he is ready for another stellar season.

Liam Shiels was running rampant in the mid field, laying tackles and kicking goals.

Brendan Whitecross looks in great shape. He was getting a lot of the ball at half back and driving it in forward. He is moving really well.

On the downside, Will Langford looks to have injured himself. Was only out there for a short time doing handball drills and has his left knee bandaged up.

This is my final report for the summer although there is a chance that I will be able to get down there one more time next week, and if I do I will report back. Hope you’ve found my reports enjoyable and informative. Go Hawks!!
Love your work mate awesome stuff!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So you're just quitting, slacker :p

As a fully unpaid volunteer of the training reports the expectation was for them to continue throughout the whole 2016 season.

Well, I could quit my job but you guys will have to sponsor me. I may be a little out of your price range though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any sign of TOB Axeman?

Yep. Did a couple of nice things. He definitely has the tools to make it, but does he have the mindset? I do feel like there has been a bit of an upward shift in his intensity level just over the time I have been watching since early Jan. He still is somewhat inconspicuous but less so than he was 5 weeks ago. Maybe Roughie going down has him sensing an opportunity??

Great to hear mate! Thanks
If an opportunity like this doesn't get him going I don't see what will.
Let's the Games begin!

On his way to a second Brownlow?

Meant to add this in my original post:

*The stand-out young players over the last 5 weeks have been:

1. Daniel Howe
2. Billy Hartung
3. Kurt Heatherley
4. James Sicily

Very Honourable mentions to Kaiden Brand, Zac Webster, Angus Litherland and Shem Tatupu

*This is purely based on my observations during training sessions over the last 5 weeks and should not be taken too seriously.

You rock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back