keyboard_warrior

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2008
cyberspace
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Jon bones Jones
Wand is out with broken ribs and is replaced by chris leben who only fought 2 weeks before this is scheduled. shattered wand isnt fighting but even tho leben is a jerk you gotta respect a guy who steps up like that.

Brock Lesnar Vs. Shane Carwin Should be able to get a shot in to end it.

Chris Leben Vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama Would think he is fresher and has more class than leben but leben doesnt stop coming forward and has a granite chin.

Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Brown has a sick nick name.

Krzysztof Soszynski Vs. Stephan Bonnar the rematch from 110. Bonnar fairly needs the win but i can never see him winning fights so i go against him

George Sotiropoulos Vs. Kurt Pellegrino come on aussie c'mon c'mon

truck load of prelims that i dont know enough about

Does anyone else share my concern (or joy) that Lesnar appears to be totally underdone for this fight?

I read that he has been using Couture as a training partner for this bout. Apparently Lesnar's "walk around weight" is still 20 pounds lighter than what it was pre-illness.

Lesnar is claiming that being 20 pounds lighter is not a concern because "it will make it easier to cut for the fight" and it has not affected his strenth...but what else can he say?

I think this fight has warning signs for Lesnar written all over it.

Carwin is a good wrestler so Lesnar (who relies on his bullish strength so much) will not be able to just take the fight to the ground for an easy ground and pouns victory.

As well as that, Carwin reportedly has the heaviest hands of anyone in the UFC so if Lesnar decides to stand and "bang" with him then at best it is a 50/50 proposition for Lesnar.

Lesnar hasnot had a fight since UFC 100 and in that time he has gone through a major operation. He is going to have ring rust. Aside from that, there has clearly been some muscle wastage. Apparently Lesnar is visably smaller looking now compared to UFC 100.

Carwins an absolute beast and comes from one of the best Training camps. I think his takedown defensive will be too good for Brock and Carwin obviously has the edge on the feet.
Carwin with a 2nd Round KO

Will be interested to see who George is up against next if he wins this fight..

The loss of Wandy hurts this card, but Lesnar vs Carwin is massively appealing.

Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) vs Shane Carwin- I am a little worried about Lesnar's fitness, but I'm going him anyway. I think people are overestimated Carwin's size and the Gonzaga fight tells me Lesnar can beast him to the ground and maybe punch his face in. Of course one clean shot from Carwin and we'll see Lesnar knocked out and millions of happy fans.
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Yoshihiro Akiyama- Tough ask for Leben after only a few weeks, but he's in with a shot. Akiyama to armbar him though.
Welterweight Bout: Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown- Should be a cracker. I think Lytle could win a decision or possibly submit Brown.
Light Heavyweight Bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs Stephan Bonnar- Bonnar's lost a bit, but I still think he's got more than Soszynski.
Lightweight Bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Kurt Pellegrino- Bit worried about this. George has looked awesome but Pellegrino's on a great run as well. George will win it though.

Schaub and Reljic to win the Spike fights and hopefully further impress. Cool to see Petruzelli back and Harris should make it 10 in a row.

Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) vs Shane Carwin - There are a million different ways this fight can go, giving the champ the edge here.

Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Yoshihiro Akiyama - KO, will be good fight, if Leben can keep off his back he should be able to catch Aki with nearly the heaviest hands in the business.

Welterweight Bout: Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown - Decision, Can't wait for this, a real dog fight.

Light Heavyweight Bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs Stephan Bonnar - TKO, would have won last time anyway.

Lightweight Bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Kurt Pellegrino - Sub (armbar) No confinence in this at all, Pellegrino's an animal, similar form line expect he's finishing his fights.

MAIN CARD
* Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin: Carwin by KO in the first 2. Bad match up for Brock. He wasn't able to bully Couture around the cage like he does every other opponent and Carwin's got size, strength and wrestling over Couture. Carwin will land a clean shot either in the clinch or going toe-to-toe. Don't be surprised if Carwin gets a sub either. The dude has a legit ground game with 4 first round subs before joining the UFC. BJJ brown belt too.
* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: Sexyama to take this by Leben's premature ejaculation when they touch gloves. If the Sex doesn't get Leben there, then a Sexyama uppercut will put him to sleep (Leben will wet dream whilst out cold on the canvas).
* Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle: Pumped for this. Matt Brown is one of my favourite fighters and both guys always bring it. The Immortal's made it to the main card even though he lost his last fight purely because he puts on a good show which Dana and the UFC love. I think Brown will use his reach here and get a decision.
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski: Bonnar to get the decision he was headed towards in Sydney.
* Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos: YEH GEORGIE BOY!!! George is a contender guys. All the Aussie fans are scared to build him up but I don't think he'll have any trouble with Pellegrino. George by rear naked choke but don't write off a TKO ground and pound.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
* Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer: Schaub by decision.
* Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero: Good to see Petruzelli back. I think he'll get a TKO.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)
* Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic: Reljic to bounce back with a TKO after getting the ring rust out of his system in Sydney.
* Dave Branch vs. Gerald Harris: Harris is on a roll and should get the KO.
* Forrest Petz vs. Daniel Roberts: Roberts sub.
* Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola: Vermola to struggle with Madsen's wrestling. Madsen decision.

Looking forward to this. I'll take:

Carwin - He has the power to put Lesnar out on their feet and the ability to keep the fight standing if that's how he wants it.

Sexyama - Leben is running his mouth a bit pre-fight, as usual. He doesn't have the talent or technical ability needed to win this fight though. A solid chin and heavy, but sloppy, hands aren't going to be enough for him. Credit to him for taking this fight on short notice after his fight at the TUF finale, but he's walking away with a loss here.

Chris 'FOTN' Lytle - 50/50 here for me, but I like Lytle. Always brings it.

Krzysztof - This fight should be a prelim. Bonnar isn't great, but neither is Krzysztof so it'll be close again. There shouldn't be a moron officiating in the octagon this time like there was in Sydney, so we should actually get the correct result this time.

GEORGIE.....GEORGIE.....GEORGIE! This fight is too good to be the opener, should be higher up on the card because the winner here (George) is probably just one more fight away from a title shot.

Kendall has been turfed off the Spike prelims for some comments he made, so the Seth fight moves up and takes that place. He should get the win in his return to the UFC, and Schaub should aswell.

MAIN CARD
* Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin: I don't feel confident about this pick, but I think Lesnar's best is enough to get him past Carwin. If he's back to 100%, I see him taking it to the ground early and dominating Shane en-route to a tko in the 3rd.

* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: So over all the "Sexyama" crap that gets written about, but think he's a good fighter and should be able to handle Leben most likely by decision. Despite it being a short notice fight, I think it could be an absolute barn burner.

* Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle: These are two of my favourites and it'll suck to see one of them lose. I'll likely be pulling for Brown to pull of the win, but think Lytle's a little more well rounded and should be able to eek out a decision.

* Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski: Krzysztof was winning the first fight IMO and I think he'll have too much for Bonnar again in this one. Can't see Bonnar getting finished though, so I expect it'll go to the cards.

* Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos: Kurt's been on a tear of late, but I think George will be too much for him. Kurt's no joke on the ground, but I think he'll get caught late after a very close, competetive fight.

* Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer: Schaub by TKO. Tuchshcerer has a chance if he can get it to the ground, but Schaub showed on TUF that he's got a knack of getting back to his feet when taken down. It'll likely last a couple of rounds, but I think Chris eventually gets caught and goes down.

* Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero: Seth's promised to let his hands go more this time around in the UFC and hopefully he can get a win in this one. Will be interested to see if he and Lawlor have an elaborate ring walk planned for this one.

* Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic: A shame this one isn't making the main card as it's a very interesting matchup. I think Goran will be able to hang with Grove if the fight hits the ground and should be able to pick him off enough on the feet to get a decision.

* Dave Branch vs. Gerald Harris: No idea on Branch, but Harris has been hot since his TUF loss. I'm expecting he'll win via GNP in the first or second.

* Forrest Petz vs. Daniel Roberts: Roberts looked alright against Howard until the punch that KO'd him. Petz is experienced, but I don't expect too much of him coming in on short notice. Roberts by sub in the 2nd.

* Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola: No idea on Vemola either, so I'll stick with what I know and that's that Madsen is a very good wrestler. I think he'll LNP his way to a decision.

* Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin: No way am I tipping against Carwin. He has the heaviest hands I've ever seen in combat sports and every fight starts on the feet. He's primed for this and he'll knock Lesnar out, and I hope I'm right!

* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: Brave effort by Leben fighting again so soon, but Akiyama will sub him.

* Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle: Lytle by KO in what should be an entertaining fight.

* Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski: I think Bonnar was shading Sos in their first fight and I have faith that he still has something left in him. By decision.

* Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos: Two really good submission fighters, but I reckon Sots is a notch above Kurt and wins by decision.

* Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer: Heavy-handed Schaub by KO.

* Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic: Reljic by sub.

Would love to see Brock win and react to the sea of boos, but I think Carwin will catch him first round.

Would love to see Brock get a takedown, purely to see how they match up strength wise.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben: Sexyama to take this by Leben's premature ejaculation when they touch gloves. If the Sex doesn't get Leben there, then a Sexyama uppercut will put him to sleep (Leben will wet dream whilst out cold on the canvas).

LOL, feeling a bit weak at the knees too... I think I just messed myself reading that... damn that sexy man!*

EDIT: GEORGE!!!!!

*no homo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, with Wand out other than George this card pretty much sucks outside of the main event. Still pumped for it though as it's probably the first time the UFC has had a legit heavyweight title fight and it's the biggest heavyweight fight since Fedor/Cro Cop in 2005.

Main card
Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin - almost a flip of the coin for me, how Lesnar will return after his illness is the big issue, he's apparently not even cutting weight for this fight. I'd have gone with him if the fight at 106 last year went ahead as scheduled but there's enough doubt over how he can return that I'll go with Carwin here by TKO, but either way I suspect the winner will be getting his ass handed to him by Cain later this year
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Chris Leben - Akiyama's far more well-rounded but I can't help but think Leben's going to clip him and put him away, Akiyama's reluctance to take this fight after Wand pulled out hasn't helped
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown - Lytle by TKO
Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs Stephan Bonnar - Soszynski by decision
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Kurt Pellegrino - Sots should be better in enough areas to take this, Pellegrino might be able to get him down but George will be able to sweep him and takeover from there, hopefully a sub finish but probably a decision

Spike Prelims
Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs Chris Tuchscherer - hopefully Schaub takes this one quickly, similar to the way he put away Gormley, one of the only fighters from TUF 10 I rated during the actual season
Light Heavyweight bout: Seth Petruzelli vs Ricardo Romero - not sure, haven't really seen any of Seth other than the Kimbo fight and haven't seen Romero at all

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs Goran Reljic - hopefully Reljic, Grove's probably cut he loses this after losing his spot on the Spike card for bitching about TUF
Middleweight bout: Gerald Harris vs Dave Branch - Harris by TKO
Welterweight bout: Daniel Roberts vs Forrest Petz - Roberts by decision
Heavyweight bout Jon Madsen vs Karlos Vemola - hope Vemola can take this but Madsen's going to blanket him and take a decision

I know he's only had 5 or whatever fights, but I'm finding it hard to picture Lesnar knocked out. To me he's always been this superhuman character and I remember feeling really awkward when he was tapping like a girl as Mir tried to rip his leg off. There's a 50% chance it's happening though, so I'm getting ready.

Just letting people know the UFC 116 will be shown live on the big screen at James Squires Pub Waterfront City Docklands.

From their site.
Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar returns to defend his heavyweight championship against interim title holder Shane Carwin at UFC® 116, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday, July 3. (Shown in Australia - Sunday 4th July, 12pm)

It's also being shown at the Inkerman Hotel Balaclava (From Fox venue finder)

I know he's only had 5 or whatever fights, but I'm finding it hard to picture Lesnar knocked out.
C'mon man, he's fighting Shane Carwin. I'll suggest it should be easy to picture Carwin knocking out anyone. :)

Just letting people know the UFC 116 will be shown live on the big screen at James Squires Pub Waterfront City Docklands.

From their site.
Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar returns to defend his heavyweight championship against interim title holder Shane Carwin at UFC® 116, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena on Saturday, July 3. (Shown in Australia - Sunday 4th July, 12pm)

It's also being shown at the Inkerman Hotel Balaclava (From Fox venue finder)

James Squire is not listed on the Fox site, maybe they don't want much business. Makes it hard to locate venues when you have to rely on random posts from people, although I thank you for the info.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/fight-night#ufc-116-lesnar-v-carwin

http://www.jamessquirebrewhouse.net...e-on-fox-sports&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=98

A bit annoyed at so many fighters pulling out, but I guess that's the business. But it makes me shy away from buying PPV if the final card barely resembles the initial card.

Is George's fight one of the biggest/most important fights for Australian MMA to date? If he was to win, would he be 1 or 2 fights away from a title shot?

My picks:

Lesnar - TKO - 2nd round
Akiyama - Decision
Lytle - TKO - 1st Round
Bonnar - Decision
G Sot - Sub - 2nd Round
Tuchscherer - Decision

also really interested to see how Madsen goes. I would really like too see him finish Vemola early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back