US Open 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon one of the hardest things in tennis is serving at 4-5 to stay in a match.

Personally have lost many games at this point
Funnily enough I have more trouble serving out a match than serving to stay in a match. I've pulled off a lot of come-from-behind victories, but don't tend to have a lot of close wins where I had my nose in front all day. My serve is pretty weak though so once I get tight I'm in trouble.

Funnily enough I have more trouble serving out a match than serving to stay in a match. I've pulled off a lot of come-from-behind victories, but don't tend to have a lot of close wins where I had my nose in front all day. My serve is pretty weak though so once I get tight I'm in trouble.
You should play against Federer. The guy always finds a way to come back against me. Maybe I need to train more..

******* Wawrinka. Nishikori will be a sitting duck in the SF on the back of two marathons.

Lol it was hilarious reading people thinking Stan the fluke would make a final again. Has done diddly squat since Australia

Murray is the master injury faker. Always grabbing something when he's losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nishikori is class and is going to be a star. Soft as butter is not getting through 5 sets against Wawrinka fatigued and coming out on top - you must be thinking of Tomic. Poor call.

Nishikori is class and is going to be a star. Soft as butter - you must be thinking of Tomic
No. I'm talking about the guy that withdrew/retired from Madrid, Toronto, Miami, Davis Cup, then threatened to pull out this tournament if his toe "started hurting again".

Lol it was hilarious reading people thinking Stan the fluke would make a final again. Has done diddly squat since Australia

That's not really correct. He has now had a Masters win and 2 GS QFs since Australia (all on different surfaces). Sure, he is protected a little by his draws, and hasn't set the world on fire, but if your name isn't Djokovic, Nadal or Federer, then that's pretty good. Also still has a potential Davis Cup win to look towards. In some years (i.e. late 90s/early 00s), those results would have you contending for YE1.

I was predicting last year that Stan would make a lone GS Final appearance at the 2014 Australian Open, so I'm not one of the ones that was predicting multiple finals for him, but I think your recurring claims of certainty on this board are getting a little tiresome (they reek of MTF banter).

That's not really correct. He has now had a Masters win and 2 GS QFs since Australia (all on different surfaces). Sure, he is protected a little by his draws, and hasn't set the world on fire, but if your name isn't Djokovic, Nadal or Federer, then that's pretty good. Also still has a potential Davis Cup win to look towards. In some years (i.e. late 90s/early 00s), those results would have you contending for YE1.

I was predicting last year that Stan would make a lone GS Final appearance at the 2014 Australian Open, so I'm not one of the ones that was predicting multiple finals for him, but I think your recurring claims of certainty on this board are getting a little tiresome (they reek of MTF banter).

For a number 3 seed that is pretty ordinary. Lets see what his results have been in Slams after Australia..and this includes having an easy draw, he doesn't have the excuse of being injured and having a tough draw. He just got outplayed by Nisikori...I mean seriously is this our number 3 seed? Davis Cup, meh, half the players barely care. We might in Australia, most would take a Slam over that.

As I said he got lucky in Australia, and good luck to him, but he has failed to reproduce it. Will be very interesting what happens in Australia next year. Can he reproduce it? Or will he flop again?

We might be indulged a little by the era of the big 4, but traditionally, any year you win a slam, a masters, make 2 GS QFs, plus win some other titles and maybe a Davis Cup, is a decent year. Especially for someone who has never been top 2, won their 1st slam late in their career, and has historically struggled with the mental consistency required of the very best players. Even a Murray would just about be content with an overall year like that.

For a number 3 seed that is pretty ordinary. Lets see what his results have been in Slams after Australia..and this includes having an easy draw, he doesn't have the excuse of being injured and having a tough draw. He just got outplayed by Nisikori...I mean seriously is this our number 3 seed? Davis Cup, meh, half the players barely care. We might in Australia, most would take a Slam over that.

As I said he got lucky in Australia, and good luck to him, but he has failed to reproduce it. Will be very interesting what happens in Australia next year. Can he reproduce it? Or will he flop again?

Oh FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back