2nds VFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Box Hill, Casey Fields, 2:10PM Sunday 9 September

Remove this Banner Ad

yep that's right Gaz and the good thing is he's only 23 years of age so we give rucks that big a couple more years before realizing they won't make it or not.

Good build too, compared to Bailey, he's a vastly stronger frame all over...more like a Sandilands-type than a beam pole like most tall blokes that height.

nice snap shots dave :thumbsu:

3rd last pic, even Troy Selwood who's 6ft'2 is dwarfed by Dawson.

Thanks boys, this weekend was starting to look like a train wreck on a few fronts for me.

Really good signs from a few I thought - Brown in particular but all the talls were a damn sight better than last week. Stringer Schroeder Guthrie and hyphen should all be played from rd1 regardless, even if it means resting some of the older boys. Eardley looking more like MR II every week, ripper mark going back.

It may not be the flag we were all looking for but lets hope we can bring it home in the next couple of weeks.

Once again I want to congratulate the Geelong Cheer Squad for showing up and providing a banner - added some real atmosphere late in the game.

Geelong now play the (partly) North Melbourne aligned, Werribee Tigers, at 2pm next Sunday at North Port Oval, Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne.

Once again I want to congratulate the Geelong Cheer Squad for showing up and providing a banner - added some real atmosphere late in the game.

Geelong now play the (partly) North Melbourne aligned, Werribee Tigers, at 2pm next Sunday at North Port Oval, Williamstown Road, Port Melbourne.
Cheers CH, if I get a chance to get there up there from Geelong is it easy to get to from spencer st?

Look forward to turning the tables in a fortnight ;)

Is it just me or did the back-line look to be something really special with all these tall guys back their.

Bathie and Gillies who seem to be maligned had really good games today and did all the right things (even though I admit I have been less than impressed with them on other occasions).

Mclean showed glimpses of something really special with some smart plays.

Supahoops suggested Eardlsey is looking more like MR II every week. I agree if MR II is Milburn as not only is he almost a spitting image of him but he plays with that same fearless attitude and skill.

But the one that gets me is the number 60 Sully. Who is he and how good could he be. The last 2 weeks he has been nothing short of exceptional. Against Port his last quarter could almost be the reason Geelong got back in the game with some of his saving plays across half back that because of him became dangerous attacks. This week everything I saw him do suggested he is a classy player very much in the making of Harry Taylor. His kicking is a bit awkward but even then it got the job done fine and showed that he has the decision making skills of a seasoned AFL player.

He has me sold...two finals games like that.

But the one that gets me is the number 60 Sully. Who is he and how good could he be. The last 2 weeks he has been nothing short of exceptional. Against Port his last quarter could almost be the reason Geelong got back in the game with some of his saving plays across half back that because of him became dangerous attacks. This week everything I saw him do suggested he is a classy player very much in the making of Harry Taylor. His kicking is a bit awkward but even then it got the job done fine and showed that he has the decision making skills of a seasoned AFL player.

He has me sold...two finals games like that.

top post :thumbsu:
he caught my eye as well.
I was surprised at his size when standing next to Gillies and Bathie at the quarter time huddle.
He's actually listed at 196cm and 95kg's and he's only 19 years of age.

Could be something good brewing, although Gillies also looked steady in his first season and unfortunately it didn't pan out as we thought.

So glad to see the boys win. I ran outta steam and had to sleep. Kersten looks great but sounds like Walker, Eardley, Brown, Gillies, Burbs, Schredder, Hypen were all amongst it. Shagga. as well.

Would be great to keep Shagga at the club as player / mids coach in the magoos. Would not want to do it if he got a better offer however...

Really impressed with Eardley. Seems well skilled but just a merciless attack on the ball and player. REally hope he keeps going, gets Rookie again next year and developes further. Reckon MR2in the wings...

GO Catters

I haven't written reviews the last two weeks as I'm assuming with the games on TV, there are many better judges than me.
Gotta say though.. Matthew Sully, George Burbury and Ryan Bathie will all be on AFL lists next year.. gotta hope it is with the hoops.
The amazing photographer Dave Savell has already beaten me to the punch with amazing shots from the game, but here is my input for this week
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.418488388208271.98470.162448683812244&type=1&l=c6fdf00d64

Guys Would Sully be a chance to be rookied Next Season reminds me a little bit of Matt Egan strong overhead and a nice Left foot kick doesnt lack courage either loved the way he backs into packs

Guys Would Sully be a chance to be rookied Next Season reminds me a little bit of Matt Egan strong overhead and a nice Left foot kick doesnt lack courage either loved the way he backs into packs

I'm hoping for a big defender from somewhere, he has all the required attributes, plenty to work with.

What with many AFL teams having at least two monster fwds and a 3rd tall, as well as rucks running forward, I believe the time has come for us to have a second tall defender in the over 195cm bracket.
We currently have Lonergan at 197cm, he would be a good foil for Tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good win, great effort from the boys to come back in the last quarter, I didn't actually think we played that well for most of the day but it was good grit to get it over the line.

Player wise props to Shagga, keeps turning up and playing really well at the moment. Hope he can find another club next year, not just because it would give us a compo pick but because he deserves to play some more senior footy.

Thought hyphen was really crucial when it counted, hopefully we can hang onto him because no doubt other clubs will be having a very good look, and he needs a good run at senior level next year ala Duncan etc. Schroder is really developing and starting to look like a good player in the making.

Bathie was really good, not just the lookaway handballs either, he has some skill-definitely worth keeping next year I think. Gillies was a bit better, and McLean was a rock as always, so assured. I know we're playing for a flag but honestly we should put Sully away now, I'm afraid he may not last til the rookie draft if we keep putting him in the window.

Kersten was super, I suspect the issue will be finding a position for him at senior level as he's a little short to play traditional key forward, but he's a good marking target and his kicking is a thing of beauty. Was an absolute steal where we got him.

Thought Orren didn't do much in the first half but was important in the second and started to wear Bailey down. Dawson tried hard but looks like he's lumbering everywhere, needs a massive pre season. Brown was better and all the rookies were pretty good, some big decisions to be made there.

Selwood led from the front as always along with Byrnes, and Corrigan was great considering he looked like he was playing hurt.

Hopefully we can play well next week and make the grand final.

BIG chance of happening!
Does anyone know the players who played AFL last night who can play in the VFL?
I'm presuming its only Murdoch and Simpkin?

They will definitely get Simpkin back which is huge because he's close to our best player at vfl level. Murdoch should be eligible too.

I think Vardy should be eligible under the injury rule (i.e. missed over 8 weeks), although not sure if Guthrie is still eligible now that the senior team is out, I am sure the club will let us know. Varcoe would also be eligible but they may put him away for the year now the seniors are out, although I'm sure if it is up to him he will want to play.

although not sure if Guthrie is still eligible now that the senior team is out, I am sure the club will let us know. Varcoe would also be eligible but they may put him away for the year now the seniors are out, although I'm sure if it is up to him he will want to play.
Guthrie is out due to too many AFL games [18] this year

Guthrie is out due to too many AFL games [18] this year

Thought so.

Which would mean Smedts is out too isn't he? Which is a pity as you'd think he would have been right to play this week.

Although I'm pretty sure Vardy does qualify, but if he was sore after Sat night maybe they won't risk him, he's done well to get back this year.

Cheers CH, if I get a chance to get there up there from Geelong is it easy to get to from spencer st?

Very, very easy.

Take the train to Spencer Street (Southern Cross) station.

Walk to the corner of Spencer Street and Collins Street. Walk one minute east along Collins Street, where the tram stop should be in front of a Krispy Kreme store (I think the store is still there!).

Take the 109 Port Melbourne tram and jump off (6/7 minutes later) at the North Port tram platform.

When you get off the tram, you'll see exit end of the platform, cross over the tracks and head west about 2 blocks along Raglan street (you'll pass the Albion Hotel).

Then you're at Williamstown road and the North Port footy oval :thumbsu: - In all, about 10 minutes from Spencer Street.

Yep agree simpkin will a huge in and also played great game at the same ground 2 weeks ago.
will interesting if the club gets sully he looks the goods but with bathie and that other tall player really slim fogot his name.And all the other rookies seem to be playing quiet well.Wells and co really picked some good rookies.

Yep agree simpkin will a huge in and also played great game at the same ground 2 weeks ago.
will interesting if the club gets sully he looks the goods but with bathie and that other tall player really slim fogot his name.And all the other rookies seem to be playing quiet well.Wells and co really picked some good rookies.

Your thinking of Hamling. Anyone know why he didn't play yesterday

Your thinking of Hamling. Anyone know why he didn't play yesterday

I assume because we already have too many talls in the side, and he is the rawest of all the talls that we have.

Kersten was super, I suspect the issue will be finding a position for him at senior level as he's a little short to play traditional key forward, but he's a good marking target and his kicking is a thing of beauty. Was an absolute steal where we got him.

He's a little short if we bomb it in on top of his head and expect him to consistently outmark AFL-standard defenders, like we do with Hawkins.

However, he's the perfect leading forward - quick off the mark, great hands and great kick for goal. Reminds me of Fev, actually, and I believe is exactly the same height. Fev seemed to manage OK ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back