2nds VFL Round 14 - Coburg v Geelong, Reid Oval Warrnambool, 2:00PM Sunday 1 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like Brown had a good game in the back line, that is really important. Especially with Taylor being so dangerous up forward, we really need a key defender. If Scarlett plays on, we will look very well stocked for key position players next year.

Brown will get smashed in a Key Position. Might teach him some discipline playing down back but he's not ready for a key position up forward or down back.

Brown will get smashed in a Key Position. Might teach him some discipline playing down back but he's not ready for a key position up forward or down back.

Why not have Brown as the 3rd tall defender, allowing Lonners and Scarlo to take the opposition's best two forwards and freeing Taylor to go forward?

Why not have Brown as the 3rd tall defender, allowing Lonners and Scarlo to take the opposition's best two forwards and freeing Taylor to go forward?
Not convinced Winty.
I wonder if they're trying a similar approach to Menzel last year. Menzel played most of the second half of the year (when back from injury) on a back flank and got the run around. When they put him down front he kicked 5 against the Pies and was on target until he did his knee against the Hawks.

Not convinced Winty.
I wonder if they're trying a similar approach to Menzel last year. Menzel played most of the second half of the year (when back from injury) on a back flank and got the run around. When they put him down front he kicked 5 against the Pies and was on target until he did his knee against the Hawks.
Whilst good for development, Brown is a forward and has a unique goal kicking sense that should be nurtured. His performances at AFL have been limited given his size, but its probably more a continuity issue and I would imagine that if we did give him 10+ games he would start to shine.

Big thing with Brown is that we need to start judging him after 30+ AFL matches. Would be good to see him get a go next week.

Brown offers us something very different to what we are use to seeing these past 2 years.
He's a terrific lead up player who has a good burst of speed for his size along with great hands.
He's very similar to the way Mooney played and that could very well be the right balance we need which would allow Hawkins to be the sole flyer in the air, rather than the current situation where both Pods and Hawks compete against one and another.

He usually leads to similar places Nick Riewoldt does for the Saints and that means Tomahawk has more room to lead and use that prodigious jump deep inside the 50.

That's an option. I know I would prefer him to Gillies in that role. Maybe not for this year's run in but definitely that is where his short term future lies. He could go back forward when he has some confidence and more bulk.

It is easy for a light bodied player to play in the backline because they can read the play rather than being shadowed by a bigger opponent. I would not want him in on the last line on a Cloke or Franklin but would be very happy for him to play on Gunston or someone of that nature.

Really excited about the progress of our reserves. It seems they have a good mix of our talented youngsters and cool heads like Selwood and Gleeson. Knights is doing a good job.

46 point win. We're now sitting fourth on the ladder!

We're a game behind 3rd with a game in hand too, although we have an inferior percentage. If we give Box Hill a pasting this week, we could jump past them as they have the bye. Port Melbourne and Casey play each other this week too, so depending on who wins that, we could be one game out of the top two come this time next week.

Its gotta be said that coming into the last quarter we were only 1 point up. Was a fantastic performance from the Cats. Great win and a genuine shot this year IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an option. I know I would prefer him to Gillies in that role. Maybe not for this year's run in but definitely that is where his short term future lies. He could go back forward when he has some confidence and more bulk.

It is easy for a light bodied player to play in the backline because they can read the play rather than being shadowed by a bigger opponent. I would not want him in on the last line on a Cloke or Franklin but would be very happy for him to play on Gunston or someone of that nature.

Agree. It's a good move for Brown and it's the role that will give him the most chance to play at afl level, as his body is a way off being ready for a key forward role, so this gives him something else in the meantime.

Also could certainly suit us as we do really need to find another good young key defender.

Whilst good for development, Brown is a forward and has a unique goal kicking sense that should be nurtured. His performances at AFL have been limited given his size, but its probably more a continuity issue and I would imagine that if we did give him 10+ games he would start to shine.

Big thing with Brown is that we need to start judging him after 30+ AFL matches. Would be good to see him get a go next week.

We absolutely should. For what it's worth I think Hawkins and Lonergan especially have shown you could wait until about 60 games before doing that. For all players.

Some thoughts on the players..
1) Brown .. looks good down back. Reads the play well and uses his body smartly. Plays a floating role to allow his disposal to be used on the attack.
15) Schroder.. good game. Very busy in the conditions and always looked dangerous up forward. Showed good hands.
16) Simpson.. great contest in the ruck and moved well around the ground, taking strong marks at both ends. Questioned at qtr time for not being tough enough at contest.
17) Byrnes.. very good game. Scrappy conditions helped him shine with his pace and ability to find space. Unlucky not to kick more goals.
24) Bews.. good run and carry from down back. In and out of game, but didn't lower his colours.
25) Gillies.. spent some time in attack. Good run and carry through the midfield and good on the rebound.
34) Hogan.. playing at the old stomping ground performed well. Scrappy conditions helped him. Tough around the contest and good at extracting the ball. Good hands.
37) Eardley.. continues to impress. Strong body and good by hand and foot.
38) Sheringham.. good run and carry, but made a few silly mistakes/ turnovers when the game was on the line.
42) Walker.. presented well up forward all day, but was let down a bit in the ruck (against Graham and Browne). Stood up in the last quarter when the game was there to be won.
43) Burbury.. really stepping up his claim for a spot on the list in 2013. Smart ball user, tough at the contest and good carry. Smart around goals.
45) Hamling.. spent the entire game up forward and struggled to have any impact. On a learning curve at the moment.
46) Simpkin.. another helped by the conditions and the home ground knowledge. Extracted the ball well and made good use of the space of the ground.
47) Bathie.. bit of time in the ruck and up forward. Due to matchups, played small.. and did not lower his colours. Good below his knees and with his speed.
50) Gleeson.. great game as indicated by his mud coated body post-game. In the contest early and adding good forward line pressure.
51) Selwood.. busy all day and added great calmness and poise to the contest. Good with his disposal and with putting his body on the line for the ball.
52) Hollmer.. presented well up forward and had a few telling touches.
53) Barham.. started busy and kept bobbing up throughout. Good outside player in these conditions.
54) McLean.. another strong game. One of the most reliable defenders in the VFL, reads the play well and rarely beaten.
57) Corrigan.. tough body around the contest and good at extracting the ball. Added an x-factor to the forward line where his disposal won out.
58) Condy.. impressive game again, providing good rebound off the half back line. Smart and courageous, adds a foil for Andy Mac.
59) Maas.. used in a midfield/ half forward role with Bathie playing small defender. Very clean game, making his disposals count.
72) Howe.. threw his body into every contest, but went off early in the second with a serious shoulder injury.

As always, photos are up on my facebook page.. as well as on the Cats website/ Cats smartphone app.

Very impressive signs today. Really hoping that despite the game being on next week live on the ABC, that fans can turn out to support the VFL Cats and in particular the VFL listed players. New 23rd player next week.. possibly Dyson Bell-Warren.

RaptorRoj said
Very impressive signs today. Really hoping that despite the game being on next week live on the ABC, that fans can turn out to support the VFL Cats and in particular the VFL listed players. New 23rd player next week.. possibly Dyson Bell-Warren.

Can I take it from that comment that the VFL are playing in Geelong at K'Park next week?

Awesome summary as always RaptorRoj. :thumbsu:

Sounds like we've got a VFL squad that bats very deep this season. Will stand us in good stead if and when our AFL side gets bundled out of the finals and we have to rely on those who have played enough VFL games to qualify to play finals at VFL level (assuming of course they still have that rule, or is it more a case nowadays that we will have to play x amount of VFL listed players each week?).

EDIT: Found the following rules on the Sporting Pulse website. They were for the finals last year, but I assume they're still current for this season as well:

21.1 Players who have not played at least one (AFL or VFL) Senior or Reserve match in the relevant season shall be ineligible to play in the Senior Grade Finals.
21.2Players who have played with the AFL Senior team of any AFL Club after the 1st day of July in the relevant season shall be ineligible to play in the VFL Senior or VFL Reserve Grade Finals unless they have played a total of at least seven (7) Senior or Reserve VFL matches in the same season.
21.5Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21 when a Club has both of its Senior Grade (AFL or VFL) teams engaged on the same day, (or consecutive days) the selection of players in the VFL Senior Grade team shall be unrestricted, provided a player has participated in at least one (AFL or VFL) Senior Grade or Reserve Grade match in that relevant season.
21.6Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21 when an AFL Club is still qualified to participate in the AFL Finals Series, all such AFL Club listed players shall be eligible to be selected for a team participating in either the VFL Senior or VFL Reserve grade Finals Series game provided that such player has played at least 1 game in the VFL Senior Grade or missed through injury at least 8 consecutive Home and Away matches of either the AFL or VFL Season.
21.8Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21, when an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, AFL listed players must qualify for selection under Regulation 21.2.
21.9Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21, for a VFL Club(s) who do not field a VFL Reserve Grade team in the competition, AFL listed players must qualify players under Regulation 21.2 and must have played not more than 12 AFL games to be eligible to play in VFL finals matches.

Some thoughts on the players..

16) Simpson.. great contest in the ruck and moved well around the ground, taking strong marks at both ends.

Thanks Roj. I always look for your report. Very informative.

I have left out the bit about Dawson being "geed up" but the first part of your comment about Dawson is very encouraging. The one big question mark I had over him was his ability to take a mark.

He will make a real difference. Sooner or later.

Thanks Roj - excellent work. I look forward to your assessments on the Reserves.

Here's my VFL team come the finals this year (assuming no injuries to these players or to senior players that might require on of this team to into the senior line up).

Gillies Bathie JHunt

Wojo McLean Cowan

Byrnes Selwood Simpkin

Stokes Walker McCarthy

Kersten Brown Schroder

Foll. Orrenson Corey Stringer

Int. Gleeson, Hogan, Bews, Eardley, Hamling, Burbury.

That is a pretty awesome line up if they are switched on.

Dreamteam scores from the game
Selwood 117
Byrnes 111
Simpson 105
Brown 104
Simpkin 104
Barham 102
Schroder 96
Gleeson 94
Sheringham 89
Corrigan 74
Hogan 74

Stellar form as always Roj....
Congrats too on getting the gong from the club as the official Ressie photographer....
Saw that on the website recently. Top form mate. Glad you got some recognition outside of here for all the good work you do.

Go Catters

By gee Simpkin keeps banging on that door, it'll have to open eventually.

Delighted to see Mitch Brown made a good fist of the shift to defence. I think it could be really good for him.

Glad to see Byrnes start to string together some good form, while I think he will find it very hard to get back in the 22 again it is really good for the group as a whole if we have lots of pressure from below as it keeps everyone on their toes in the knowledge that there's a few others who are champing at the bit to get a spot.

EDIT: I do notice from twitter that the club have just put Menz back on the LTI. Even though no replacement has been named at this stage that may indicate they are preparing to elevate one of the rookies if they have another good game or two in the vfl. At the very least the carrot is there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back