News Walters ready to weigh in for Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear Walters lift and I hope he is ready to train with Freo again.

Sounds like Mundy might be the sub this week which is also great.

The only thing I am not happy with is Ross wanting Silvagni to become a forward. He may or may not in the long run prove to be a good forward but everyone knows he already is a valuable backline player. People may disagree but I beleive he is better than Dawson. He has better disposal and can completly shut down his player.

I would like Ross Lyon to explain why Silvagni isn't required as a backmen.

Good to hear Walters lift and I hope he is ready to train with Freo again.

Sounds like Mundy might be the sub this week which is also great.

The only thing I am not happy with is Ross wanting Silvagni to become a forward. He may or may not in the long run prove to be a good forward but everyone knows he already is a valuable backline player. People may disagree but I beleive he is better than Dawson. He has better disposal and can completly shut down his player.

Good news on Walters. I really believe he can be an excellent small forward for us.
I find myself also disturbed by the bit about Silvagni. It would be the first really black mark on Lyon if he continues to blindly play Dawson in front of SOS purely on a playing favourites basis. SOS is proven quality as a big defender.
I wish one of the muppet journalists that get to ask the questions in the media would call him on this to hear a straight answer.

My guess is that Ross looked at our forwards list and said we needed more. Specifically a fearless, competitive body to pack crash and take marks in the 50.

Total agreement he is a gem down back and should be out there - but he was limited in pre-season. Maybe need to look at it as he is talented enough to play forward or back - and they know he can play back, so are getting some looks with him up forward. The purpose? when we need a forward or back he's the first cab off the rank.

Regardless, a valuable asset I'm sure is not lost on Lyon.

Silvagni could be an asset in the forward line. But he's been a consistently strong performer as a backman. I suppose it comes down to what area needs the more reinforcement. Our back line has looked relatively decent, and it's only going to be bolstered by Grover. Our forward line, however, has been pretty much non-existant. It's a weird situation though: Because Silvagni really is a quality defender.

Could Luke fit the mould of a possible forward? He has a little more experience than Silvagni.

Also, good news about Walters. He's shown some determination that I thought he'd never have. His skills and ability can be obvious. Now that Ballantyne's getting some midfield action, another small body around the packs could be beneficial. But he's very much a confidence player, and very much a kid who'll fire up only if we fire up. Five goals down, and I wouldn't rely on Sonny too much.

Silvagni could be an asset in the forward line. But he's been a consistently strong performer as a backman. I suppose it comes down to what area needs the more reinforcement. Our back line has looked relatively decent, and it's only going to be bolstered by Grover. Our forward line, however, has been pretty much non-existant. It's a weird situation though: Because Silvagni really is a quality defender.

Could Luke fit the mould of a possible forward? He has a little more experience than Silvagni.

Also, good news about Walters. He's shown some determination that I thought he'd never have. His skills and ability can be obvious. Now that Ballantyne's getting some midfield action, another small body around the packs could be beneficial. But he's very much a confidence player, and very much a kid who'll fire up only if we fire up. Five goals down, and I wouldn't rely on Sonny too much.

I'm sorry, but in what way is 24 career AFL games an indication of consistently good performances? I've mentioned this a couple of times, I really rate Silvagni, but how many times has he played without McPharlin or Tarrant and been consistently better than a key forward?

24 games over 2 seasons is nowhere near enough to prove consistency.

I'm sorry, but in what way is 24 career AFL games an indication of consistently good performances? I've mentioned this a couple of times, I really rate Silvagni, but how many times has he played without McPharlin or Tarrant and been consistently better than a key forward?

Good post, I like silvagni too but I think he is a little overrated on this board, there is no way that he streets ahead of Dawson like people suggest. I personally think that a mcpharlin, Dawson, silvagni backline would be great, but silvagni hasn't had a full preseason and to be honest, at the training sessions I have been to he has looked lackluster and frankly at times disinterested. There is nothing wrong with making him earn a spot, those saying that Lyon is playi g favourites are not thinking straight. Dawson played every match in the preseason, he performed well, he kept podsiadly to 2 goals, he has earnt his spot, in comparison what has Alex done? He hasn't even put in a good wafl game yet. I think silvagni has potential as a forward, but he needs to kick goals for Claremont.

Good post, I like silvagni too but I think he is a little overrated on this board, there is no way that he streets ahead of Dawson like people suggest. I personally think that a mcpharlin, Dawson, silvagni backline would be great, but silvagni hasn't had a full preseason and to be honest, at the training sessions I have been to he has looked lackluster and frankly at times disinterested. There is nothing wrong with making him earn a spot, those saying that Lyon is playi g favourites are not thinking straight. Dawson played every match in the preseason, he performed well, he kept podsiadly to 2 goals, he has earnt his spot, in comparison what has Alex done? He hasn't even put in a good wafl game yet. I think silvagni has potential as a forward, but he needs to kick goals for Claremont.

Listening to our track watchers over pre-season, Silva and Ballas were the star performers during pre-season. Both were carving it up and Silva looked in the best shape of his life. There were many reports on this both on here and in the press. He only went down with injury in the week of our intraclub game (as did McPharlin) and was back a few weeks later. So I don't get the many comments about Silva having a reduced pre-season and that he's still regaining fitness??? He's had as much or more preparation than McPharlin?

What went wrong from the motivated guy carving up the pre-season to now?

Listening to our track watchers over pre-season, Silva and Ballas were the star performers during pre-season. Both were carving it up and Silva looked in the best shape of his life. There were many reports on this both on here and in the press. He only went down with injury in the week of our intraclub game (as did McPharlin) and was back a few weeks later. So I don't get the many comments about Silva having a reduced pre-season and that he's still regaining fitness??? He's had as much or more preparation than McPharlin?

This! It's criminal our second best defender can't get a game. I can see this could end up being Rhys Palmer all over again. :(

(Great news about Sonny though.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well of course he's done great jobs on Hall, Brown, Franklin but the most impressive thing about him is he always steps up when required and is consistent for 4 quarters. Unlike Zac who is s**t for 3 and a half quaters but will lay 1 bump per game to get the BF posters frothing.

Don't forget though, that McPharlin is a seasoned veteran campaigner of 10 odd seasons, players like Macca don't need as much body conditioning to get up. Macca's also not pressing for a spot in a position relatively new to him either.

Don't forget though, that McPharlin is a seasoned veteran campaigner of 10 odd seasons, players like Macca don't need as much body conditioning to get up. Macca's also not pressing for a spot in a position relatively new to him either.

Silvagni did a heap more training / conditioning than Ibbo too.

Great news about Walters!
Hopefully he can join the Fremantle training group and crack into the 22 eventually.

Very pleasing news about Son Son. Particularly as we have been looking too tall recently. I wonder what the loss of 9kgs does to his leg speed; hasn't he already bettered his PB time trial by 40 odd seconds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back