AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The Danster pollution continues. It was like clockwork in the Collingwood game day thread. He is not liked on the Melbourne board either. But the good news is that he seams to be constantly wrong with Collingwood so I assume he has no idea with West Coast.
As to trading your pick 1 it looked like a good deal was never on the table so you take the best avaliable and move on. It was the right call even if Reid some how becomes a bust.

2027? Dreaming.

A lot can change in four years. One year is a long time in AFL, much less four.

Find out which sides finished second last in 2019 and 2021, and then how they finished in 2021 and 2023 respectively.

I am in no way saying West Coast will win a flag in 2027 - we are very far from it, let's be realistic - but things like game plan and having the right players for it matters more these days than pure talent.

A lot can change in four years. One year is a long time in AFL, much less four.

Find out which sides finished second last in 2019 and 2021, and then how they finished in 2021 and 2023 respectively.

I am in no way saying West Coast will win a flag in 2027 - we are very far from it, let's be realistic - but things like game plan and having the right players for it matters more these days than pure talent.

Yeah... nah...

Those Melbourne and Collingwood teams in 21 and 23 were chock full of established stars and veterans and had bad years.

West Coast are a shambles due to poor list management. The last few drafts have been good but will take alot more to be contenders by 2027.

Yeah... nah...

Those Melbourne and Collingwood teams in 21 and 23 were chock full of established stars and veterans and had bad years.

West Coast are a shambles due to poor list management. The last few drafts have been good but will take alot more to be contenders by 2027.

Eagles will have 95% rebuilt by 2027.

Tall stocks have been topped up. A CHB like Busslinger rounds that off.

So 2027 is three seasons and three more drafts, trades and FA periods from now.

Players like Ginbey, Hewett, Ried, Hough, Chesser, Long, Brockman, Hall, Maric, Burgiel and Bazzo will have over 50 games under their belts.

Allen and B Williams over 100.

Plus draftees. Trades and FA's.

Free agency and trades are the great unknown.

Eagles add another top 3 pick gun mid next draft, trade in Busslinger as a CHB then trade for Warner in 2025. Things look very different in the midfield.

Flynn and B Williams ruck.

C Warner, Ried, Ginbey, Hewett, Long and Kelly plus the 2024 draft top 3 mid.

With Culley, Hall, Chesser and others providing depth.

Oh and to those nuffies who Lol. Good clubs don't take 10 plus years to rebuild. Poor clubs with ongoing unstable boards and coaching panels they do take 10 plus years....and the really crap ones beg for AFL handouts because they aren't up to the task on their own.

Last edited:
Quick question….. why are wce fans so certain Sammy Taylor is moving home? I mean he is likely to be gws captain in the future and has a young group of backs around him that get along super well

Quick question….. why are wce fans so certain Sammy Taylor is moving home? I mean he is likely to be gws captain in the future and has a young group of backs around him that get along super well
I’d say hopeful, not certain. He’ll be the highest recruiting priority for us next year. Most likely re re-signs with GWS but we’ll certainly be in his ear.

I’d say hopeful, not certain. He’ll be the highest recruiting priority for us next year. Most likely re re-signs with GWS but we’ll certainly be in his ear.
Hey, man, wasn’t referring to you specifically but have seen quite a few comments that Taylor is nailed on

Can understand you’ll be in his ear, but I reckon we extend him early

Hey, man, wasn’t referring to you specifically but have seen quite a few comments that Taylor is nailed on

Can understand you’ll be in his ear, but I reckon we extend him early
I think generally the comments about getting Taylor should be interpreted as best case scenario (for us), I certainly haven’t come across anyone on our board saying matter of fact he’s coming back to WA.

We got atleast 3 years to find another CHB and have options like Bazzo on our list to try claim that role. Id be shocked if that ??? isnt Sam Taylor though. Nailed on to join in 2025

4 players yet to debut in that for sure but Burgiel is very highly rated at the club. I believe he will be the better footballer between him and Hewett overall and will be a real bolter this ear. Harry Barnett is a gem and is why we havnt bothered in the Tim English stakes and why Flynn came instead. Flynn just stop gaps til Barnett develops. Will take time to grow into his body. He is that Dean Cox like ruck/athlete/. Clay Hall will just be a certain 200 gamer. Wont be a A grader but will play his role. Reid is Reid, no explanation needed

1 more draft. Some bolters like Archer Reid, Campbell chesser, Harvey Johnston, Jai Culley etc to koin that top side and then 2 gun established players in the mould of Sam Taylor and Chad Warner to add to that and will be more then ready for a GF in 2027. Finals in 2025 should be the aim and then that 3 year build to the flag
Just on the previous page

Just on the previous page

Take anything that poster says with a massive grain of salt

Likes to claim he's an ITK but is mostly full of s**t

I strongly doubt WCE get Sam Taylor. Busslinger on the other hand is a very distinct possibility.

Eagles will have roughly 2.5mill cap space (each year) for 2025 and 2026 as it stands now.

Pipe dream.

Will stay with GWS as they are peaking and he's a future captain of the club. Seems committed and will be well paid where ever he goes.

I strongly doubt WCE get Sam Taylor. Busslinger on the other hand is a very distinct possibility.

Eagles will have roughly 2.5mill cap space (each year) for 2025 and 2026 as it stands now.
I agree it will be very difficult to get Taylor but what do you base the above on? GWS obviously have every reason to try and keep Taylor so that’s self evident but is it just cap space meaning we can offer Busslinger more cash and years that you’re making that comment? If so wouldn’t the same apply to Taylor? Can’t see GWS matching any offer we put out if that’s what it comes down to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it will be very difficult to get Taylor but what do you base the above on? GWS obviously have every reason to try and keep Taylor so that’s self evident but is it just cap space meaning we can offer Busslinger more cash and years that you’re making that comment? If so wouldn’t the same apply to Taylor? Can’t see GWS matching any offer we put out if that’s what it comes down to.

Taylor is GWS #1 kp defender and future captain. He will be very well paid and would be a walk up start.

Busslinger hasn't played a game yet and the Dogs with father sons and JUH academy pick up are loaded with talls.

Eagles can offer more dollars and game time to Busslinger. Eagles offer to Taylor wouldn't be that much more in dollars and he's already best 22. So not as big an incentive for Taylor as opposed to Busslinger.

Taylor is GWS #1 kp defender and future captain. He will be very well paid and would be a walk up start.

Busslinger hasn't played a game yet and the Dogs with father sons and JUH academy pick up are loaded with talls.

Eagles can offer more dollars and game time to Busslinger. Eagles offer to Taylor wouldn't be that much more in dollars and he's already best 22. So not as big an incentive for Taylor as opposed to Busslinger.
Agree with all of the above except why can’t we offer a bigger contract than GWS? They have a number of stars that will be looking to be paid and if Phil’s suggested cap position is accurate why couldn’t we front end our other player’s contacts in 2025 and offer Taylor a huge front ended salary smoothed over with subsequent years? If it’s just cash he’s after surely we’ve got it covered.

Agree with all of the above except why can’t we offer a bigger contract than GWS? They have a number of stars that will be looking to be paid and if Phil’s suggested cap position is accurate why couldn’t we front end our other player’s contacts in 2025 and offer Taylor a huge front ended salary smoothed over with subsequent years? If it’s just cash he’s after surely we’ve got it covered.

We could offer much more. Doesn't mean we will nor if that would be smart.

Taylor is GWS's McGovern. So he will be getting $900k average. We offer what $1m.....$1.2m. $2 or 300k more. 50% goes in tax so maybe $150k more.

I just don't see the difference between offers being miles apart. And they will have been playing finals.

Last edited:
We could offer much more. Doesn't mean we will nor if that would be smart.

Taylor is GWS's McGovern. So he will be getting $900k average. We offer what $1m.....$1.2m. $2 or 300k more. 50% goes in tax so maybe $150k more.

I just don't see the difference between offers being miles apart. And they will have been playing finals.
It'd need to be 1.5 mil plus a cushy Minres job after to even get a 2nd look I recon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back