AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Again, not having a go, but that list is largely unproven. Harley Reid is probably a sure thing to be a star, but the rest would need to improve substantially to reach the levels of Rozee, Butters, Rachele, Rankine etc.

The strategy is the right one, but it's way too early to claim the Eagles are already on the same path.

Just having a ton of young players doesn't guarantee success in the future.

They are on the same path because those two clubs have the same restrictions in academy access and location.

JHF - H Ried
Rosee- Hewett
Butters - Long (fantastic 1st year).
? - Ginbey
? - Oscar Allen
? - Bailey Willims (breakout 2023 season)

Rioli traded in - Brockman traded in. And an nga Champion coming in 2024.

Port traded in a fringe ruck in Sweet - Eagles brought in Flynn.

Fast forward 4 years and the Eagles will be around where Port are now. Same path.....different stage of the journey.

Last edited:
And got what instead?

You only rated our players taken with top picks. Say the others probably wont make it. THEN say we should split the pick to get more 21 year olds with later picks you yourself dont rate anyway.

So your own comments explain quite clearly why splitting was not the way to go.

As for Garry. You obviously havent followed this idiot for the past 4 months basically pleading the logic behind the Eagles trading pick 1 to his beloved Dees so they could land Harley. Its only been in the media every week since the end of the season. And Gary was getting more and more frustrated every day the Eagles refused to trade. It was most enjoyable watching Gary get more and more frustrated as he didnt get what he wanted to happen.
He visited the parents as well didn't he?

They are on the same path because those two clubs have the same restrictions in academy access and location.

JHF - H Ried
Rosee- Hewett
? - Ginbey
? - Oscar Allen

Fast forward 4 years and the Eagles will be around where Port are now. Same path.....different stage of the journey.
Mate, I'm all for having positivity for the future, but if you're expecting Hewett and Long to match the output of Rozee and Butters then you're way too optimistic. Reid v JHF, well that might be one to watch moving forward.

Champion as an NGA doesn't make any sense either, if he's going to be a great player then he probably won't last to pick 40.

You would need a lot to go right to be where Port is right now in 4 years time.

Again, not having a go, but that list is largely unproven. Harley Reid is probably a sure thing to be a star, but the rest would need to improve substantially to reach the levels of Rozee, Butters, Rachele, Rankine etc.

The strategy is the right one, but it's way too early to claim the Eagles are already on the same path.

Feels a bit weird to be in full agreement with a North fan in this topic, but this is spot on.

I am bullish about some like Ginbey, Bazzo, Hewett, Hough and Long, but they are definitely not proven AFL-level players. Not yet, anyway. Plenty of Rising Star nominations have flamed out within a couple of seasons as they fail to make the next step up and get found out at the top level.

It is too early to claim whether this rebuild is a success or failure. I think I've been consistent about that in this thread - the rebuild is in earnest, and it started a couple of years ago, but it is too early to make the call on some of the young talent.

Feels a bit weird to be in full agreement with a North fan in this topic, but this is spot on.

I am bullish about some like Ginbey, Bazzo, Hewett, Hough and Long, but they are definitely not proven AFL-level players. Not yet, anyway. Plenty of Rising Star nominations have flamed out within a couple of seasons as they fail to make the next step up and get found out at the top level.

It is too early to claim whether this rebuild is a success or failure. I think I've been consistent about that in this thread - the rebuild is in earnest, and it started a couple of years ago, but it is too early to make the call on some of the young talent.
Ive got no interest in being like Port Adelaide

They havnt won nothing with these vanilla mids

JHF - H Ried
Rosee- Hewett
? - Ginbey
? - Oscar Allen

Hopefully will be

Reid - De Goey
Ginbey - Tom Mitchell
Kelly - Pendles
Hewett - Josh Daicos

Need to find our Nick Daicos HBF who goes into the midfield. Wont need to be at that level I feel cos the spine is better

Ive got no interest in being like Port Adelaide

They havnt won nothing with these vanilla mids

Of course not but if we get our midfield brigade up to the levels that Butters, Rozee and Duursma topped out at I wouldn't be unhappy.

Re: HBF into the midfield - could be Chesser perhaps. However, unlike the others I listed before, I'm not as bullish on this guy, needs a big pre-season otherwise I fear he could end up being a XON-level player - serviceable depth at best.

Just like we couldn't be sure about Ports draftees 3 to 4 years ago.

And right now would anyone swap H Ried for JHF?

JFH is looking ok but nowhere near the level what was discussed when drafted.

Rozee ,butters,rachelle and Co were all unproven at some stage too

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have to disagree on JFH. He had issues with his legs in first year preventing him from training fully and did have significant surgery on both legs and missed huge part of off-season. Just look at his scars.
And he did show some fantastic traits during the season. His burst from contest is unbelievable. With full pre-seasons, I would not be surprised if he becomes one of the best midfielders in 3-4 years.

Right now, it's JHF for me. Reid is a great talent, great prospect but played 0 AFL games. Let's see how he goes in AFL first. I may change mind next year.

Yes, there are a lot of draftees, young players on Eagles list. For sure, I would be excited too. But I also know that not all prospects fulfil their potential. Examples are everywhere. At the same time, all teams improve. It's a tough competition. IMO, still some tough years ahead for Eagles especially if mature players (Yeo, Sheed, Darling, Barrass, McGovern, Cripps, Gaff) struggle to stay on the field as was the case in last couple of years.

Last edited:
Do Eagles fans trust/have faith in Adam Simpson being able to develop/nurture all the young players and talent on their list for the long term or should the Eagles already start thinking about a coaching succession plan ?
Hard to say given the s**t-sandwich that's been served up in regards to injuries these past 2 seasons, so we haven't been able to see any significant to the game plan, as he said they wanted to do.

The recruiting's definitely changed to look for players who are bigger, faster and stronger in the contest. Previously, it was looking for outside ball-users for the chi-chip game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do Eagles fans trust/have faith in Adam Simpson being able to develop/nurture all the young players and talent on their list for the long term or should the Eagles already start thinking about a coaching succession plan ?

Inherited a list that finished 13th the year before and on a noticeable downward spiral. Took much of that list to a Grand Final in his second season and flag in his fifth.

I doubt he survives if we finish with a similar win-loss and percentage this year, though.

I have to disagree on JFH. He had issues with his legs in first year preventing him from training fully and did have significant surgery on both legs and missed huge part of off-season. Just look at his scars.
And he did show some fantastic traits during the season. His burst from contest is unbelievable. With full pre-seasons, I would not be surprised if he becomes one of the best midfielders in 3-4 years.

Right now, it's JHF for me. Reid is a great talent, great prospect but played 0 AFL games. Let's see how he goes in AFL first. I may change mind next year.

Yes, there are a lot of draftees, young players on Eagles list. For sure, I would be excited too. But I also know that not all prospects fulfil their potential. Examples are everywhere. At the same time, all teams improve. It's a tough competition. IMO, still some tough years ahead for Eagles especially if mature players (Yeo, Sheed, Darling, Barrass, McGovern, Cripps, Gaff) struggle to stay on the field as was the case in last couple of years.

We are well aware that half the kids drafted won't make it. At least we have added top end talent and bigger mids. Have been bullied the last few years with a lack of size and intent from the midfield.

Lots of changes at the Eagles. Especially in the fitness and sports science areas. Plus sending players overseas and interstate for 2nd or 3rd opinions, diagnosis and review.

Seems that something went off the rails over there.

The nucleus of a 2027 premiership side is there I think. 2027 will have

FB: Hough, Barass, ???
HB: J.Jones ??? Duggan
C: Hewett, Ginbey, Burgiel
HF: Brockman, O.Allen, Ryan
FF: Williams, Maric, Long
R: Barnett, Reid, Hall
I/C: ??? ??? ??? ???

We got atleast 3 years to find another CHB and have options like Bazzo on our list to try claim that role. Id be shocked if that ??? isnt Sam Taylor though. Nailed on to join in 2025

4 players yet to debut in that for sure but Burgiel is very highly rated at the club. I believe he will be the better footballer between him and Hewett overall and will be a real bolter this ear. Harry Barnett is a gem and is why we havnt bothered in the Tim English stakes and why Flynn came instead. Flynn just stop gaps til Barnett develops. Will take time to grow into his body. He is that Dean Cox like ruck/athlete/. Clay Hall will just be a certain 200 gamer. Wont be a A grader but will play his role. Reid is Reid, no explanation needed

1 more draft. Some bolters like Archer Reid, Campbell chesser, Harvey Johnston, Jai Culley etc to koin that top side and then 2 gun established players in the mould of Sam Taylor and Chad Warner to add to that and will be more then ready for a GF in 2027. Finals in 2025 should be the aim and then that 3 year build to the flag

JHF failed the character test. That is confirmed. The socks up style gave it away early on.:);)

Reid looks over the moon and so far has embraced the team, Perth and the move. Early days yes but so so far so good.

Cant wait to see Reid and JHF square off in the guts at some point.

Last edited:

We got atleast 3 years to find another CHB and have options like Bazzo on our list to try claim that role. Id be shocked if that ??? isnt Sam Taylor though. Nailed on to join in 2025

4 players yet to debut in that for sure but Burgiel is very highly rated at the club. I believe he will be the better footballer between him and Hewett overall and will be a real bolter this ear. Harry Barnett is a gem and is why we havnt bothered in the Tim English stakes and why Flynn came instead. Flynn just stop gaps til Barnett develops. Will take time to grow into his body. He is that Dean Cox like ruck/athlete/. Clay Hall will just be a certain 200 gamer. Wont be a A grader but will play his role. Reid is Reid, no explanation needed

1 more draft. Some bolters like Archer Reid, Campbell chesser, Harvey Johnston, Jai Culley etc to koin that top side and then 2 gun established players in the mould of Sam Taylor and Chad Warner to add to that and will be more then ready for a GF in 2027. Finals in 2025 should be the aim and then that 3 year build to the flag
Great take on where we are at. Team is close to what I think, J Jones is the only player I don’t believe is AFL standard. Butchers the ball too much.

2026 R1

B: Hough Barrass Duggan
HB: Busslinger Taylor Burgiel
C: Johnston Hall Chesser
HF: Brockman Allen Hewett
F: Ryan AReid Long
F: BWilliams, Ginbey, Reid
I/C: Barnett, Maric, Culley, 2024 R1

Sub: Champion

J Williams and Cole are the only non vet players currently on our list I’d expect to still be pushing for best 22. Kelly, Sheed, Hunt and maybe Yeo might still be around.

From memory, JHF had almost no preseason last year and still looked good. By all reports he is looking very fit training in the USA with boak. Write him off at your peril

Yep JHF is going to be a very good player very good shame its not going to be with us but i still wish him well regardless of what most North fans thinkof him.

2027? Dreaming.

2027? Dreaming.
Up yours Daryl Kerrigan!!!

slap-slapping.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back