AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Umm, no. They were always going with Gotherd, which was the point of that video.

Weird that they did it in the reverse order and didn't take Leake first but I guess they were concerned someone else would reach for Gotherd first.
Umm. Yes. At no point did the video say where they rated Windsor.

I did notice that he said that the draft was trash after the top 20 basically. But of course Archer Reid and Clay Hall were mentioned as good young players by west coast supporters. lol

Last edited:

Umm. Yes. At no point did the video say where they rated Windsor.

I did notice that he said that the draft was trash after the top 20 basically. But of course Archer Reid and Clay Hall were mentioned as good young players by west coast supporters. lol
They appear likely types to people who know that good players can also be drafted outside the top 10.

they were taken at their pick for a reason.
Plenty of misses inside the top 10 over the years.

If clubs can't nail 2nd and 3rd round picks consistently, they're going to find themselves in serious trouble.

North have the most first rounders on their list of any club, other than the expansion clubs. How's that worked out for them?

Conversely, WCE only had 5 top 10 picks in their 2018 side, of which 3 didn't play in the grand final.

Top 10 picks give you a better chance at a solid player, they absolutely don't guarantee you a superstar however.

If clubs can't nail 2nd and 3rd round picks consistently, they're going to find themselves in serious trouble.

North have the most first rounders on their list of any club, other than the expansion clubs. How's that worked out for them?

Conversely, WCE only had 5 top 10 picks in their 2018 side, of which 3 didn't play in the grand final.

Top 10 picks give you a better chance at a solid player, they absolutely don't guarantee you a superstar however.
Tell me something I don't already know...

But we know that as of the draft date, west coast picked up 2 players in the 30's in a draft where most recruiters believed it was trash after 30.

Tell me something I don't already know...

But we know that as of the draft date, west coast picked up 2 players in the 30's in a draft where most recruiters believed it was trash after 30.
Cool.

It'll probably come as a massive surprise to you then to know that clubs view players differently.

Also, the main comment was how even it was after around pick 15, not that it was 'trash'.

Every year people say dumb comments like yours and are shown up to be utter fools.

Cool.

It'll probably come as a massive surprise to you then to know that clubs view players differently.

Also, the main comment was how even it was after around pick 15, not that it was 'trash'.

Every year people say dumb comments like yours and are shown up to be utter fools.
I can't comment anymore. Moderator is here...
anyway, wce should've split the pick. not sure why wce fans are so defensive about it. there's a lot of logic behind it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't comment anymore. Moderator is here...
anyway, wce should've split the pick. not sure why wce fans are so defensive about it. there's a lot of logic behind it
Because as we've said, the offers were shite, especially going by your own criteria of not much chop outside the top 20.

Imagine we gave up Reid for Windsor(a winger who solves none of our midfield issues) and Tholstrup(a position we have multiple players for)?

There's zero logic to do that.

You don't trade a gold nugget for magic beans.

Don't worry about our 1st rounders, All clubs and supporters will find how it worked out for us soon enough don't you worry.

Because as we've said, the offers were shite, especially going by your own criteria of not much chop outside the top 20.

Imagine we gave up Reid for Windsor(a winger who solves none of our midfield issues) and Tholstrup(a position we have multiple players for)?

There's zero logic to do that.

You don't trade a gold nugget for magic beans.
why do you say Windsor and Tholstrop when that wasn't the offer? We offered a F1 too. And I still said it was marginally unders but not by that much.
Also, you don't need to pick up Windsor. You could pick up Curtin. It's just the pick number.
Also, with all due respect, you just need good players, regardless of position. You're not set on any part of the ground. The dees have Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon etc. and we still picked up 2 mids.

why do you say Windsor and Tholstrop when that wasn't the offer? We offered a F1 too. And I still said it was marginally unders but not by that much.

Because those were the 2 selected at those picks. Even if we ended up with Curtin/Tholstrup, it doesn't do much to address our inability to win contested ball. Reid does.

Also, you don't need to pick up Windsor. You could pick up Curtin. It's just the pick number.

Clearly the club rates Reid significantly higher than Curtin, which is why all offers were knocked back.

Also, with all due respect, you just need good players, regardless of position. You're not set on any part of the ground. The dees have Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw, Langdon etc. and we still picked up 2 mids.

Every club needs good players, which is why we went for Reid and didn't split the pick.

This is a very Vic-centric way of looking at it, as their media clearly doesn't know our list.

Because those were the 2 selected at those picks. Even if we ended up with Curtin/Tholstrup, it doesn't do much to address our inability to win contested ball. Reid does.

Clearly the club rates Reid significantly higher than Curtin, which is why all offers were knocked back.

Every club needs good players, which is why we went for Reid and didn't split the pick.

This is a very Vic-centric way of looking at it, as their media clearly doesn't know our list.
why do you keep refusing to mention the F1. unbelievable.

Hell Tholstrop will play midfield eventually.

Yeah, I mean you also asked for picks 2 and 3. and duursma amd mckercher would've been the 2 you'd take I'd imagine? if so, they're not contested bulls either.

I feel like I know your list every well. I just think you should've split it. That's all.

Yeah, I mean you also asked for picks 2 and 3. and duursma amd mckercher would've been the 2 you'd take I'd imagine? if so, they're not contested bulls either.

I feel like I know your list every well. I just think you should've split it. That's all.
Because with how compromised the draft is next year, that F1 will push out to around pick 20, which is apparently a trash range.

Also, split it for what exactly? Which players?

We've already drafted for a range of positions, we've gone through this before.

The biggest issue is in the middle for us. The other players simply need time to develop, yet you're writing them off after a season or 2.

Seems a bit premature, no?

You've have repeatedly displayed that you know absolutely FA about our list and needs.
You continually contradict yourself.
You've dribbled endlessly about what we need and at the same time stated you have no interest in WC.
It's was the exact same when Jackson wanted out of Melbourne, just spewing utter garbage.
If it's possible to have less than NFI you have it.

I've followed drafts more closely in the past but I haven't been this keen to see a pick 1 in action. He just seems like such an all round nice kid. He's as well mannered as I've heard. To me that's one of the biggest attributes. You can be a good player but if you're a dbag it's hard to build around you or for half the group to get around him. Providing he's able to make the step up, pencil him in for most accolades.

Soooooo much energy expended. I really don't know you CBF danster168 .

why-do-you-care-who-cares.gif

Given how the draft played out, it shows Eagles got it spot on. People wanted us to trade basically Pick 1 (Reid), 38 (Hall) and 49 (Johnston) for Pick 8 (Curtin) , 23 (Hardeman) and 28 (Collard)

Geez im devastated we missed out on that one :D
Which trade was this? Not trying to be a smart ass, just genuinely trying to figure out how you came to this conclusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back