What is your Favourite Melbourne game?

Remove this Banner Ad

After performances in recent years we haven't had a lot to get excited about. However we all have fond memories of good wins we all enjoy reminiscing about. So my question to the people on this board is what is your favourite Melbourne game that you've seen either on the TV or at the ground. Doesn't necessarily have to be a win, some people might like performances such as the Merger match. Doesn't have to be a blast from the past or now and current. It could be a final or a home and away game, just what you think is your favourite.

For me my favourite would be the 2006 elimination final. As someone who studies the past there are so many to pick from, however this one i can remember well from growing up and it doesn't get old no matter how many times i watch it

2000 prelim v Norf, I think. Vintage Farmer, wet dream forward line, great performance from our blue collar midfield, job done by our ugly bastard backline. I hated North back then. And Essendon. And Collingwood.

Following week was a disappointment.

2002 Semi against Adelaide. Was an amazing game. We were down by 60 odd points early in the second quarter, then staged an incredible comeback and at 3/4 time were 22 points up. But the effort expended in that 90 point turnaround left us buggered, and they eventually beat us by 2 goals. Was a terrific game and I remember Yze had a blinder.

2000 qualifying vs Carlton.. Greeny and Bruce in the last quarter, magic comeback
Yep this one for me, this game was epic. Down by 30 odd points halfway through the 3rd, Green starts to pick his game up as we snag 2 goals back to be around 20 points behind at 3qtr time. Dees then go on rampage in the last kicking the first 5 goals to be up by 9 points, blackas87 thinking the game is won and over, Cartlon then get 2 back and we're down by 3 points. Strait from the centre bounce we kick the ball into the 50, off hands it runs to the pocket, "Leoncelli" snaps a goal and we're back in front. The with about a minute to go the ball from a boundary throw in ends up on the top of the goal square, I still can remember Sandy Roberts commentating " Bruce, Bruce, the rookie, the rookie has done it. Dees up by 9 again. Game over Cartlon you bunch of flogs.

2000 qualifying vs Carlton.. Greeny and Bruce in the last quarter, magic comeback

Easily this game for me too. We were on such a roll then good times.

That game against carlton I was fairly young but I remember giving up on it thinking we were done , Brad Green and Cam Bruce probably never played more important games

My favourite is the 2006 elimination final though , re watch the video multiple times and still love it

It's crazy how much better the footy was to look at just 10 years ago but my god was it a beautiful game to watch compared to this congested s**t

Brock McLean playing a ripping final, Nathan Carroll dropping Fraser Gehrig and ruining his night in a tackle

Great game

Also the last 5 games of 2005 I think , when Jeff white goaled around the siren, Robbos off break to beat Essendon and the win down at kardinia park

I honestly struggle to remember a lot of our 'good times' from the early-mid 2000s, I was in my early teens and watched the games but it didn't extend much beyond game day for me back then. I do remember being excited while watching the prelim against North in 2000, and thinking how great it was to be able to watch my team play in a Grand Final (ahem). Have also watched the finals mentioned above numerous times on YouTube and get a kick out of them.

Best game I've actually been to though was undoubtedly us v Swans in 2010. I remember I went alone and sat by myself on the ground level in the members (don't know why? I usually sit top tier) and just lapped it up. It's hard now to think about that game without all the s**t that happened after it but at the time it genuinely felt like we were going somewhere. It was bloody exciting.

Best game I've actually been to though was undoubtedly us v Swans in 2010. I remember I went alone and sat by myself on the ground level in the members (don't know why? I usually sit top tier) and just lapped it up. It's hard now to think about that game without all the s**t that happened after it but at the time it genuinely felt like we were going somewhere. It was bloody exciting.

Looking back that makes this one my least favourite. We probably vowed never to play like that again.

2012 against the Bombers stands out for mine here, just an amazing feeling knocking them off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to beat the Rd 19 clash against Geelong in 2011 :p But seriously the one match I won't forget is the 2000 QF not only because of the match itself but it got very fiery between myself, another Melbourne supporter who I didn't know & some Carlton idiots sitting in front of us.

Was such a beautiful day too. My next favourite is Port in 98. Woey's goal
The 5 bounces from the back line up the middle

From last year: Vs Essendon definitely. I jumped up in my seat and cheered when the final siren went.

00 qualifying and prelim finals. Just because of that building feeling of hope that we might, somehow, pull off an upset and roll the bombers in the big one. Oh well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back