What is your Favourite Melbourne game?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we'd be just as bad, and Neeld would be preparing Port for a bid at the flag again.

Hinkley deserves a lot more credit than that.

And Neeld wouldn't have made it at any club, of that I'm 100% certain. He may be a valuable assistant coach but the senior role is most definitely not for him.

v Carlton, 1994 finals

Epic win. 2nd vs 7th, Melbourne had scraped into the finals after starting the season 5-0 but then shitting bricks and falling outside in the final weeks. Had to beat a shocking Sydney team that had upset us the last two times (including the infamous match in '93) in Sydney. Many of you will remember Swarta's performance.

This match was great because Carlton were hot favourite. I'm certain we were paying around $8 for the win. Carlton were hot chances to win the flag and we derailed them epically.

Lovell, Charles, Schwartz, great day! I remember seeing a hot-headed Carlton supporter bury their head in their hands as we kicked the sealer.

v Carlton, 2000 finals

Again, Carlton were hot favourites, and at three-quarter time they were a sure bet.

Enter Green and Bruce.

Had this cocky-ass Carlton supporter laying into Melbourne fans all day. When the siren went this one bloke went over to him and hugged him. He didn't take kindly to that.

A great win and we brought the house down with that. Set us up for a GF appearance.

v Adelaide, 2002 finals

Even though we lost, this has to have been one of the best finals of the past 15 years.

Adelaide absolutely smashed it out of the blocks and led by 40 (!) at quarter-time. Then out of no where led by Trapper and Vardy we came back and hit the front in the 3rd.

I was sitting in the Southern Stand, and the roar from the MCC members was unlike anything I've heard at a Melbourne game. That was by far the loudest I've heard the Melbourne contingency in the 25 years I've been going to the footy.

It was a very disappointing loss but objectively it was a very good game of football.

v Freo, 1998

52-point turnaround. 16,000 people sounded like 50,000. A great win in a very dark season.

v Essendon, 2012, 2014

Can't really separate these two wins. Just great all-round contests, which I unfortunately missed both of but have watched countless times on replay.

I'd have to say my overall favourite was the Carlton 2000 finals win.

v Freo, 1998

52-point turnaround. 16,000 people sounded like 50,000. A great win in a very dark season.

Might have the wrong season there mate.

Might have the wrong season there mate.

He would meant 2008 for sure.

The 1998 season is my favorite, just in front of 2000. Even though it s prelim year vs Grand Final appearance, i think i just like the style of footy played in that season by all teams. We had a group of senior players who i grew up loving, whereas 2000 was a younger group with a few players that played for the next decade.

Best game I've actually been to though was undoubtedly us v Swans in 2010. I remember I went alone and sat by myself on the ground level in the members (don't know why? I usually sit top tier) and just lapped it up. It's hard now to think about that game without all the s**t that happened after it but at the time it genuinely felt like we were going somewhere. It was bloody exciting.
That was a great afternoon at the G. 2010 was a promising year, this game in particular. If you had told me that day, that in the blink of an eye:

- Tom Scully would walk out on the club, and wouldn’t even turn out to be a good player anyway.
- Liam Jurrah and Austin Wonaemirri would be out of the game.
- Dean Bailey would no longer be with us at all. (RIP)
- We would be a bottom 2 side in 2014 (and 2015?)

I certainly wouldn’t have believed you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back