What time is Adelaide at on the Premiership clock?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Having read through the Fevola 'files' and seeing board members opinions on why we should or shouldn't target big Fev in our quest for premiership glory, I started thinking about Mick Malthouse's Premiership clock idea. Where are Adelaide at at the moment? I would like to think that we are about 2 years and some maturing of players away from challenging or at about 'quarter to' on the premiership clock. But maybe that is a bit pie in the sky and we might only be at 'half past'. What time are we? :confused: *

*The premiership clock idea, as put forth by Mr Michael Malthouse, says that a side only has a small window of opportunity to strive for a premiership. Using 12 o'clock as the time on a clock representing the winning of a premiership, this small window is likened to somehwhere between 5 to and 5 past 12. Then it's all down hill from there until you reach half past and starting to build for your next crack at 12 o'clock.

Well at the risk of getting shot down in flames untill we get some foward line players we aint got a clock yet we still have a sun dial.
As the way i see it that is the only thing [no fowards] stopping us from being a real finals threat the only problem is the longer it takes to get a solid foward line we are going to have a whole new midfield.

10:13pm

The premierhip clock 'window' is 11pm until 1am, correct? We aren't in that window yet, but close to it... the problem is, we need to have the correct playing group when we get in that window. We have the right mix at the moment of old stars and up and coming players... we just have to tweak our list, gel as a team, and hope that the coaching philosophy works.

The Toolman said:
Having read through the Fevola 'files' and seeing board members opinions on why we should or shouldn't target big Fev in our quest for premiership glory, I started thinking about Mick Malthouse's Premiership clock idea. Where are Adelaide at at the moment? I would like to think that we are about 2 years and some maturing of players away from challenging or at about 'quarter to' on the premiership clock. But maybe that is a bit pie in the sky and we might only be at 'half past'. What time are we? :confused: *

*The premiership clock idea, as put forth by Mr Michael Malthouse, says that a side only has a small window of opportunity to strive for a premiership. Using 12 o'clock as the time on a clock representing the winning of a premiership, this small window is likened to somehwhere between 5 to and 5 past 12. Then it's all down hill from there until you reach half past and starting to build for your next crack at 12 o'clock.

In the pre season a Melbourne Journalist (possible Mike Sheehan) positioned the Adelaide Crows to be at 2 o’clock, I think we would be more like 5 o’clock now.

We have a defence that is good enough to win us a premiership with in the next 4 years. Ben Rutten and Ken McGregor/ Trent Hentschel (still now sure who should be CHB) is a solid unit to build around. Nathan Bassett, Ben Hart, Jason Torney and Graham Johncock are very solid in that flanker’s role they have been assigned. We have experiences as well as long-term players in the key position

FB N Bassett B Rutten J Torney

HB B Hart T Hentschel B Reilly (Johncock when fit)

Defence 7.5 out of 10

The Eight to Ten (8-10) midfield and rucking players are definitely good enough to win us a premiership in that time frame.

I would like to see grouped together so they could develop into an elite midfield would be.

The four experienced players needed

Mark Ricciuto
Andrew McLeod
Simon Goodwin
Tyson Edwards
Brett Burton
Ben Hudson and Rhett Biglands

The backbone group NC talks about

Scott Thompson
Brent Reilly
Martin Mattner
John Meesen (when he plays a game he will quickly move into this group of players)

The next generation midfielders and ruck

Nathan Van Berlo
Chris Knight
Ivan Maric

The on ballers and ruckmen also gives us experience, talented young players as well as some very promising youth on the list.

C M Mattner m Ricciuto B Burton

Ruck B Hudson S GoodwinT Edwards

Midfield and ruck 8.5 out of 10

Forwards- the present 6 will not win a premiership (no consistency, no key target)

We have no long-term answers for full forward (Stevens, Welsh or Perrie are not the answer) and a suspect question mark for a long-term answer for the centre half forward (Trent Hentschel ability and Fergus Watts if he stays at the club). The one player who may look like being damaging as a key forward wont be considered for that spot because of his aerobic capability (Brett Burton, NC loves to play him on a wing) Luke Jericho may turn into a full forward, he has some of the key components needed, speed, good hands and good timing as a forward. If Jericho could work on his toughness around that ball and put his body on the line he could develop into a 65 plus goal kicker per year.

HF S Thompson K McGregor A McLeod

FF S Welsh I Perrie l Jericho

Forward 4 out of 10

So where are we on the premiership clock I would have a guess and say anywhere between 4 o’clock when playing away and 6 o’clock at home.

sorry it was so long :eek:

crows98 said:
So where are we on the premiership clock I would have a guess and say anywhere between 4 o’clock when playing away and 6 o’clock at home.

sorry it was so long :eek:

No need for apologies - it was an excellent analysis and very hard to argue against.

Well done. ;)

I see us being at around 6 now and at the start of the 2008/09 season we will be at 6 o'clock again. We have 2-3 years to win a premiership before McLeod, Goody, Edwards, Hart and Roo retire.

There are so many variables that go into making a premiership team that it's hard to tell where we are placed at the moment. We've got a core of good players, not enough top tier players and sorely lacking in that mid-level group from which our future stars should develop. But, as we've seen this year, when everything clicks, we can appear as though we're not far off from the best in the league.
That appears to be the problem of most mid-level or 'rebuilding' clubs - inconsistency.
You only need to look at some of the luminaries that played in our two premiership sides to see that quality throughout the side is not necessarily a prerequisite to a premiership team - it's just that all the factors need to click at the right time. (No need to name too many of them, but let's just think of Keating, Rintoul, Sampson, Thiessen, etc - all manful toilers at best)
If players such as Mattner, Reilly, Hentschel, Rutten and Thomspon continue to develop into top class players - we could be only 2 years away from seriously challenging. It will also depend how well we are able to replace the diminishing contributions of players such as Hart, McLeod and Ricciuto). But in that mix we obviously need a solution to our forward line - either a revelation of a player or a system that capitalises on some of our good attacking midfielders (ie Goodwin, Thompson, Mattner).
I know there aren't too many solid predictions in the above, but I think that's the issue - the difficulty of a club managing all those variables into a consistently winning combination.
After all that - I reckon we're at about 9.30 ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we are still around 3 years away at least. We have quite a few players retiring soon so i don't think we will be contenders for a while yet.

Jim Lihou said:
There are so many variables that go into making a premiership team that it's hard to tell where we are placed at the moment. We've got a core of good players, not enough top tier players and sorely lacking in that mid-level group from which our future stars should develop. But, as we've seen this year, when everything clicks, we can appear as though we're not far off from the best in the league.
That appears to be the problem of most mid-level or 'rebuilding' clubs - inconsistency.
You only need to look at some of the luminaries that played in our two premiership sides to see that quality throughout the side is not necessarily a prerequisite to a premiership team - it's just that all the factors need to click at the right time. (No need to name too many of them, but let's just think of Keating, Rintoul, Sampson, Thiessen, etc - all manful toilers at best)
If players such as Mattner, Reilly, Hentschel, Rutten and Thomspon continue to develop into top class players - we could be only 2 years away from seriously challenging. It will also depend how well we are able to replace the diminishing contributions of players such as Hart, McLeod and Ricciuto). But in that mix we obviously need a solution to our forward line - either a revelation of a player or a system that capitalises on some of our good attacking midfielders (ie Goodwin, Thompson, Mattner).
I know there aren't too many solid predictions in the above, but I think that's the issue - the difficulty of a club managing all those variables into a consistently winning combination.
Great 1st up post mate and WElcome aboard..

I must be misunderstanding something here, as using a clock as an analogy to premiership glory assumes that every team will eventual win a premiership. Just as a clock continues to move clockwise the premiership clock assumes constant improvement - this is certainly not true.

Until we have a dominant forward we will never be more the a middle ranked team, clock or no clock!

TooFar said:
I must be misunderstanding something here, as using a clock as an analogy to premiership glory assumes that every team will eventual win a premiership. Just as a clock continues to move clockwise the premiership clock assumes constant improvement - this is certainly not true.

Until we have a dominant forward we will never be more the a middle ranked team, clock or no clock!

But this isn't a real clock is it. The Premiership clock assumes no constant improvement, but rather is a gauge of a team's ability and progress in any given year.

Thus, Premiership clocks can be wound back, they can also be wound forward - If we were to land a Pavlich the hands would be moved forward. If we were to lose say a Goodwin, Edwards, Johncock or McGregor to salary cap pressure, the hands would be wound back.

Jim Lihou said:

Excellent first post JL, welcome aboard. Always good to hear from supporters of the mighty Bays.

P.S. Thommo is already top class ;)

The Toolman said:

Good topic. IMO the Crows only have one chance to win a flag in the next 5 years....2007. And that assumes:

- meaningful impacts by 2003/4 draftees - Watts/Meeson and Van Berlo in particular

- the old guard is still sound and playing reasonable footy - Roo etc

- We trade for one GUN forward - Pavlich or Fev etc. Without an established gun we are no chance of winning a flag in coming yrs

If we dont win one over the next 2-3 years we will lose our best 4-5 players and then we start rebuilding again

So peoples - as much as you dont like the idea and Craig doesnt like the idea the only possible chance for a flag is to give up a 1st and possibly 2nd round and/or player and go and trade for a gun forward - Pav late next year could be the go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back