Review Where’s Biff? Dees v Handbaggers: Good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn dropping an uncontested chestmark at CHB turned the game around for Geelong.

The two ruckmen setup does not work for us. Both are at their best when doing the majority of the ruckwork. Neither is a threat as a resting forward, and Grundy is horrible when dropping into the backline.

Grundy is an awful Jackson replacement. We are replacing an athletic utlity/ruck rover for a lumbering ruckman. Part of me wants to go into next week with 1 ruck, with Joel Smith to pinch hit.

That said, to date I prefer Grundy to Gawn this season.

Spargo as the sub was just puzzling. Both as an injury replacement, but especially as a tactical sub; I don't think a slow midget with a 25m kick is what you need to turn the game!

I am normally a supporter of DJ Shitboy as he has attributes our team severely lacks but he has been awful for most of this season. I would have loved to see Bowey play his role.

Smith kicked 2 more goals than I thought he would. He's kinda crap but you can see that he tries his heart out; more than what we get from Tmac. I tip my hat!

One thing confused me last night: JVR in the ruck contests in the forward 50?
We have two AA ruckmen why we got 10 gamer jumping for the ball. He shoulda been stuck in the goal square so he can have a shot at marking a hack kick forward.

Who were they? I only really recall Dew.

I think Dew was Roos #1 choice, and he also sounded out a few of his other former Swans assistants.

I also recall him being into Cameron Ling and Lenny Hayes. Lingy decided he'd rather be a media pundit than join our cesspit, before transitioning to full time coaching. I think he was in a comfortable gig at Norf before the team went s**t.

Adam Simpson was being heavily courted until he nabbed the Weagles job.

Toump Ass was another candidate, and he was my preferred choice. He is a bit of a nuffie, but at least he's passionate!

The club also considered premiership coach Bomber Thompson to do the apprenticeship under Roos, but I guess he felt he could get a gig at a club that didn't want to put training wheels on him for 2 years.

It was really an embarrassing saga. Goodwin bradburied the job.

One thing confused me last night: JVR in the ruck contests in the forward 50?
We have two AA ruckmen why we got 10 gamer jumping for the ball. He shoulda been stuck in the goal square so he can have a shot at marking a hack kick forward.
Yeah that was a bit bizarre. He was getting mostly towelled up in the ruck too but we kept persisting with it.

The thing that kills me the most is the lack of dare. We clearly look at our best when we're moving the ball and taking risks. How many times did we see Langdon or Jordon take a mark 70m out with space and a potential option ahead. They stop and wait for EVERY OPPOSITION PLAYER to run past and get back into position before trying to hit the exact option they had 10 minutes earlier except now they have no space and the ball gets intercepted.

It's clearly an instruction. The only time they're allowed to play with freedom and dare is when we're 5 goals down with 2 minutes left.

I think Dew was Roos #1 choice, and he also sounded out a few of his other former Swans assistants.

I also recall him being into Cameron Ling and Lenny Hayes. Lingy decided he'd rather be a media pundit than join our cesspit, before transitioning to full time coaching. I think he was in a comfortable gig at Norf before the team went s**t.

Adam Simpson was being heavily courted until he nabbed the Weagles job.

Toump Ass was another candidate, and he was my preferred choice. He is a bit of a nuffie, but at least he's passionate!

The club also considered premiership coach Bomber Thompson to do the apprenticeship under Roos, but I guess he felt he could get a gig at a club that didn't want to put training wheels on him for 2 years.

It was really an embarrassing saga. Goodwin bradburied the job.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The thing that kills me the most is the lack of dare. We clearly look at our best when we're moving the ball and taking risks. How many times did we see Langdon or Jordon take a mark 70m out with space and a potential option ahead. They stop and wait for EVERY OPPOSITION PLAYER to run past and get back into position before trying to hit the exact option they had 10 minutes earlier except now they have no space and the ball gets intercepted.

It's clearly an instruction. The only time they're allowed to play with freedom and dare is when we're 5 goals down with 2 minutes left.
We looked really good when Brayshaw looked inboard and turned the ball directly over and cost us a goal. I much prefer players have game sense and footy IQ than dare.

We tried kicking into the corridor at the start and turned it over a lot. Then we went into bomb it into a outnumbered contest in the middle of the ground to avoid OOTF, which didn't really work but started the grind as the rain came and was a stalemate as we had numbers deep as well. We looked good in the 3rd when we used the wings a bit more going inside to outside and generated a bit of run and space. So much easier for the forwards to operate in.

The 4th quarter it felt like the whole team pressed extremely high to keep it in our half. It backfired completely when the mids and half forward pressure was not at the required level and they all went ball hunting. Geelong used the fat side and burnt our pressed up defenders on the counter in the exact same way 3 times in a row. Game was effectively over. Geelong were less afraid to use the width of the ground the whole game

The directive to try and park the bus in our front half with a goal lead was really stupid. It worked in Geelong's favour as we committed too many players to the contest (which we made Collingwood do last week). We had a lot less tackles as well in the 4th, which is effort but also points to us crowding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was it when JVR jumped too early in a marking contest, like he usually does, and got called for unrealistic attempt. Like dude, never in my life have I seen a guy consistently jump at the wrong time to mark a ball. He took 1 good mark though I guess but geez mate.

Finally some media blowtorch on our poxy forward line. The fact that Goodwin won’t acknowledge it is deeply troubling.

We should make a hard play behind the scenes to entice Hardwick.

Might have lost a bit of credibility when he said Petracca is our best forward.

If we don't fix the forward 50 entries, it doesn't matter how many deck chairs we shift around down there.

Finally some media blowtorch on our poxy forward line. The fact that Goodwin won’t acknowledge it is deeply troubling.

"I think Petracca in my opinion is their best forward" :$

How was it when JVR jumped too early in a marking contest, like he usually does, and got called for unrealistic attempt. Like dude, never in my life have I seen a guy consistently jump at the wrong time to mark a ball. He took 1 good mark though I guess but geez mate.

But JVR was already our best KPF last year, didn't you say?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

"I think Petracca in my opinion is their best forward" :$
The way he just squatted down like he was doing poos while Brad Close marked uncontested near the end of the 3rd really screamed forward craft. Is also well known for his clutch set shot kicking.

Might have lost a bit of credibility when he said Petracca is our best forward.

If we don't fix the forward 50 entries, it doesn't matter how many deck chairs we shift around down there.

Fix ‘em all you like. JVR, J.Smith and Fritsch is one of the least threatening key forward combos in the competition. You can’t deny that - if you do you’re dee-lusional.

We are so terribly inconsistent. We can play like the number one team or like the 14th team. Unfortunately we seem to be trending towards something like 8th or 9th.
I think we are inconstant because we are struggling for the balance between a more attacking game style, and our zone defence.

We seemed to defend fairly reasonably in the first half, but we were down... After half time we seemed to take more options, but as if we opened up and got scored against.?

In the last, our D50 was almost empty, too often. I need to watch the replay, but seemed our defenders were playing too high.

Last edited:

He was doing so well until he mentioned Petracca in the forward line. Petracca has the worst conversion of any player in the afl of a 2 year period. You don't put those guys in the forward line.

Other than that, I agree. But we've known this coming into the season. We had a full season of watching Ben Brown and TMac scrub it up in 2022. So what do we do in the trade period? Nothing! We deserve everything that's coming to us. We paid Grundy who is a spud 600k a season who we don't even need and offers nothing to the forward line. We could've used that 600k to squeeze a forward out of another club. Oh well.

Man that stings, Geelong in Geelong, pencil that in as a loss every single year, already done so for next year too.

We're currently paying $3.10 to miss top 4 and $20 to miss 8, honestly great value.

to the Good.

May - our best defender by a 10 Nautical Square miles.

Grundy - getting better with body positioning, and directing taps.

Viney - all guts and held our midfield together.

Rivers - in career best form.

Salem - back in strong form.

Hunter - fair effort.

Hibberd - important defence, but not his best.

McVee - trying to feed off his teammates.

Petracca
- heavily tagged and molested, without help from Umps. wasteful with ball too often.

Spazz - defends first. Goes unnoticed.

Smith - needing another tall around him. Better last night. Signs of improvement.

van Rooyen - Needs regular heavy support.

Petty - needs some settled footy up forward.

Neal-Bullen - a product of mids around him.

Middling

Spargo
- Struggling with tall structural issues, up forward.

Chandler - can't blame him for dysfunctional forward half.

Fritsch - more effort at opponents last night. Needs more support, and better structuring of talls.

Brayshaw - Is a great reader of play defensively, but IS the TURNOVER KING.

to the Bad hurting our momentum

Gawn - couldn't catch a cold in a Chinese wet market. Use more aggro Max. Fearful since knee scare. Sitting on 2021 laurels.

Lever - imv, a front runner. Overrated in today's changing game. Held it together last night, but too often leads us back under pressure too often. Clear to boundary side Lever. Loves a slow game but then we struggle across centreline.

Pickett - Stop flying for mark of the century, and stay grounded. Use your legs for running. Not jumping, unless to halve a contest.

Langdon - is back in his FREO safety shell. Seems happy with 2021. Find your space and width Langers.

Jordon - struggling for a position.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back