Opinion Where will Ben Griffiths go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simply thats where you and I differ. I dont believe Matt played a good 7 years.
I think you'll find it was the other way round and I was flipping the situation around . White played a good year of footy last year and was held up as sub most of the year. He needed to be rewarded for that year. Port certainly thought so

I think Matty Whites form last season and this season is proof enough.... I'll make the same call on Ben G if we let him go.

I like how you ignored the Knights comparison.

Oh i did not ignore the Knights comparison mate. Just not worth fighting over it, so was trying to let it pass to the keeper. I believe Knights adds value to our side and his injuries that he received while wearing our jumper deserves some respect. Knights showed when fit and able he actually stayed in games and performed. White did that as well but not consistently enough, basing that on his uninjured from. Again, not going to even try to change your mind as we have diffrent views on it.

Fair enough?

Oh i did not ignore the Knights comparison mate. Just not worth fighting over it, so was trying to let it pass to the keeper. I believe Knights adds value to our side and his injuries that he received while wearing our jumper deserves some respect. Knights showed when fit and able he actually stayed in games and performed. White did that as well but not consistently enough, basing that on his uninjured from. Again, not going to even try to change your mind as we have diffrent views on it.

Fair enough?

I like Knights... adds a lot of class when he plays.... but to say White didnt add similar for a lot less pay is just plan stupid..... he was getting minimum pay for a 7 year player....

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1671&tid2=14&pid2=3644&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S ... Matty White stacks up pretty well along side one of the best players in the comp.

I like Knights... adds a lot of class when he plays.... but to say White didnt add similar for a lot less pay is just plan stupid..... he was getting minimum pay for a 7 year player....

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1671&tid2=14&pid2=3644&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S ... Matty White stacks up pretty well along side one of the best players in the comp.

I agree he was getting min pay for a 7 year player but he wasn't really giving what the average 7 year gives.... I'd prefer him to Knight though. I know we haven't seen much of Knights but that is sort of the point. I'd rather have White than Hampson too...

Signing a bloke that plays about half his games as a sub though for 3 years I'm not so down with.... He needed to be damaging across full games more to warrant 3 years. I wonder if we offered him the same money but 1 year less if he would have stuck around and backed himself to earn that next contract?

You bet he does. The one issue in my mind is that he still chooses when to go to a contest, can that be trained out of him ?

I think he's still learning and building his fitness. Remember he's had a lot of injuries.

I agree he was getting min pay for a 7 year player but he wasn't really giving what the average 7 year gives.... I'd prefer him to Knight though. I know we haven't seen much of Knights but that is sort of the point. I'd rather have White than Hampson too...

Signing a bloke that plays about half his games as a sub though for 3 years I'm not so down with.... He needed to be damaging across full games more to warrant 3 years. I wonder if we offered him the same money but 1 year less if he would have stuck around and backed himself to earn that next contract?

Hampson averaged 7 games a season.....

matty White averaged 16 games in his last 6 season... 2012 was a bad one.... but other than that he was more than handy.... especially when we played him in his suited role.

and I thought all players were contracted when traded because contracts ends after the trade period? or am I wrong?

Don't disagree with what you're saying but he has shown more than in previous years and I have seen him dominate in the F50 at VFL level this year which he didn't seem to do anywhere on the ground last year. On a wet day, he monstered his Geelong opponent on several occasions and should have kicked more than 4 goals. You think about guys like Tom Hawkins and Tippett and how many seasons it took for them to consistently contribute and they were playing in better teams which meant more opportunities as a forward. Also, lets not forget how much of his development was spent on trying to make him a backman. In the long run it might make him a better player but in the short term it would have slowed his progress as a forward. I really hope he stays. Along with McBean and maybe McDonough, I can't think of any player on our list with more potential upside.
Yep I don't disagree that this has been his best year, just I want to see more results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, again, he is young and will take awhile to come on but IMO he has something special so i can see why we picked him but IMO by watching him at the lower grades he seems to have his confidence easily impacted, thats my worry.

More one on one sports (dare I say it like boxing or some other). Not because he needs a belting but in those conditions it doesn't let up and you fight tooth & nail. If you relent , games over. You have to be consistently determined as a minimum... Just a thought ?

I'd love nothing more than for Griff to prove me wrong but I just don't think he's very tough mentally.
Certainly has all the physical attributes and no shortage of ability.

Last chance saloon? Hope he gives it s**t. Has too many good attributes to be rubbing shoulders in the VFL with Todd Elton
What's the feel on Elton anyway?
Geez he's filled out to be a big lad but he seems to be going nowhere?

What's the feel on Elton anyway?
Geez he's filled out to be a big lad but he seems to be going nowhere?

Decent player, but doesn't demand a position and is too far back in the depth to get one from injury (hopefully...If Chaplin or Rance went down, he might get a run).

I dare say he'll be one of those unfortunates...Good depth player and we'd like to keep him, but with a limited list size he gets delisted to make way for someone who will hopefully/potentially be more than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back