• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So it's come to that time of year boys and girls when everything settles down, our list is set for next year and we have had all of the pre christmas hype with the boys getter bigger, faster and more omnipotent all from the powers of 45 minutes a day, jubilant masto's and such.

So where does everyone think we will finish. I see us with a soft draw, improvements over the field particularly in depth with hopeful significant improvement of having a fully fit lecras as well as hopefully rosa, waters and yeo and a full season out of nicnat and shuey giving us a huge boost.

I'm tipping us for sixth, where is everyone else at? In other fields of interest if in their comments people want to post who will win the John Worsfold medal, who will be our leading goalscorer and who will be our rookie of the year it will make some interesting reading.

With our list, we are a bit of a bad run with injury, and a few close loses from a slide. We are at the same time, a good run with injuries and form, and a few close wins from a rise. One of a group of clubs that could realistically end up anywhere between 4th and 12th

I project us as finishing around 7th to 8th but injuries will have a big say, could even finish higher.

PROS

Many players have bulked up without losing speed apparently. Hopefully this mean we aren't pushed off the ball so easily.

Second years for players Jeremy McGovern, Scott Lycett & Elliot Yeo. All showed signs of being something special with heaps of room to grow. Exciting.

New recruits in Duggan, Adamson, Brophy, Cavka, Lamb, Nelson, Waterman and Lucas.

Players who haven't debuted or received much game time yet. Newman, Sheed, Karpany, Main, Barass, Maguinness & Powell.

Fixture is very fair, regardless of breaks between games, we only play one top 8 side home twice (freo) and get a few of the harder teams at home.

No serious injuries to date ACL..MCL......etc etc

CONS

Apart from Lucas no experience was brought in and as a result we have an incredibly young list. If we have a bad run with injuries the kids will have to play.

Injuries throughout pre season. There has been more than i would have liked and it's a little worrying. Hope the wheels aren't falling off already.

No experience was added to the coaches box either. Yes Coxy is invaluable and will continue to learn and help NN and Lycett but he was doing this part time this year. Would have liked a little experience brought in to help out our young coaching panel.

PROS

Many players have bulked up without losing speed apparently.

CONS

Injuries throughout pre season. There has been more than i would have liked and it's a little worrying. Hope the wheels aren't falling off already.

Can't help but think there's a link between the 2.

As much as I want to see us make finals I put us down for 9-10. I think this years draftees will be a regular part of our future team and will probably use this season to adjust to afl level and blend in with the rest of the side.

Teams I think will go top 8
Hawks - could easily make it 3 in a row
Swans - still going to be better than most
Port - sky is the limit
Freo - need their older players to stay on the park at the business end to be a flag chance
Geelong - sliding but making the 8 on the back of their home ground dominance

We are solidly in that next bracket of teams, could finish as low as 5th but could easily finish 12th. I'll be optimistic and say we'll come 6th with 13 wins thanks to a healthy percentage.

I can easily see us being in a tussle over the final few rounds again to make the 8 though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13th at the end of the home and away, big list cull at end of 2015 and things looking better for 2017.

Teams clearly better than us: Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney
Teams clearly worse than us: GWS, Melbourne, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs (loss of experience)

We'll be in scrap with a logjam of teams that will finish 7-13 (Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Gold Coast, Richmond)

Teams clearly better than us: Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney
Teams clearly worse than us: GWS, Melbourne, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs (loss of experience)

We'll be in scrap with a logjam of teams that will finish 7-13 (Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Gold Coast, Richmond)
The teams highlighted travel less than us, we will fade by the end of the home and away after showing some good signs. remember you have to be bloody good to win the Flag from WA, we're ok but we're just not that good to make it into the finals yet.

The teams highlighted travel less than us, we will fade by the end of the home and away after showing some good signs. remember you have to be bloody good to win the Flag from WA, we're ok but we're just not that good to make it into the finals yet.

We didn't fade last season, we finished pretty strong actually. I would back us in to finish on top of Collingwood and Goldcoast. Touch and go with Carlton and Richmond. Adelaide and Brisbane the unknowns at this point due to new coaching staff (Adelaide) and an influx of senior players (Brisbane).

Decent draw and a fit list to choose from could see us finish as high as 6th...

But..... Have added nothing really to our midfield, it will be the same 4 names in there again not only starting, but playing the majority of minutes each week. If Yeo can stay fit and be the hero we all think he is, it will go a long way to polishing a deuce.

Still don't think we have the testicles, maturity, hunger to finish higher then 9th. If we finish higher then that it will most likely be on the back of another typical flat track bullying season of the middle and bottom tier teams, particularly at home.

6th.

A lot depends on Shuey, Yeo and Lecras IMO.

Not to mention Naitanui and Hurn. Those two plus the three you mentioned are probably our best hope of making it beyond a single finals game; I would have Waters, Ellis and Rosa as the next three who have both experience and some ability to lift our side (yes, I probably rate Rosa more highly than most of this board - I think just like with Waters and Ellis he'd be an A grader if injuries weren't a factor).

Back