Which curtain raiser match would you like to see played prior to AFL Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Yesterday prior to the AFL Grand Final (and the pre game entertainment) there was a curtain raiser played at the MCG between an Under 17 side and a Under 18 team (Australia v the Allies).

Which got me thinking who would you like to see play in the curtain raiser game prior to the main event on AFL Grand Final Day?

To kick it off, I would have either a) the TAC Cup Grand Final, or b) the VFL Grand Final (seeing that 7 might do the VFL replacing the ABC next season).

8:00 Under 18s Division Two final (NSW/ACT v Qld)
10:45 Under 18s Division 1 final (SA v Vic Metro)
[edit for below request]
13:45 Tom Jones
14:20 National anthem
[ end edit]
14:30 AFL Grand Final

All the national titles decided on the one day.

TAC Cup is rightly before the VFL GF, as it is a state competition and not a national one.

Last edited:

seeing that 7 might do the VFL replacing the ABC next season
* I hope not, I love watching the ABC on Saturday afternoons, their coverage is 10 times better than channel 7.

I'd like the VWFL GF as a curtain raiser

No doubt the VFL Grand Final should be played before the main game and then you wouldn't have the farce of last week. It's time we celebrated football again on Grand Final day. You can still have all the razzamatazz that the AFL crave, but FFS can we get back to the footy? The ground will be fine, you could run a herd of buffalo across the ground and nothing will happen to it these days. Start the main game at 3pm if you have too, just play some footy before hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt the VFL Grand Final should be played before the main game and then you wouldn't have the farce of last week. It's time we celebrated football again on Grand Final day. You can still have all the razzamatazz that the AFL crave, but FFS can we get back to the footy? The ground will be fine, you could run a herd of buffalo across the ground and nothing will happen to it these days. Start the main game at 3pm if you have too, just play some footy before hand.
Sorry but the VFL Grand Final shouldn't have anything to do with the AFL Grand Final. If you want the VFL Grand Final why not have the SANFL and WAFL Grand Finals also? The only games that should be played on Grand FInal day should be the U18 National Championships.

Sorry but the VFL Grand Final shouldn't have anything to do with the AFL Grand Final. If you want the VFL Grand Final why not have the SANFL and WAFL Grand Finals also? The only games that should be played on Grand FInal day should be the U18 National Championships.
If that is the case why are AFL players running around playing in the VFL? Why is there any affiliation to AFL clubs at all? What horseshit.. Play the goddam VFL Grand Final on Grand Final day. Play the U18 GF, i don't care as long as there is a game on that people can connect with.

If that is the case why are AFL players running around playing in the VFL? Why is there any affiliation to AFL clubs at all? What horseshit.. Play the goddam VFL Grand Final on Grand Final day. Play the U18 GF, i don't care as long as there is a game on that people can connect with.

Wtf are you talking about? There are AFL players and AFL affiliated clubs in all state leagues

Vic Metro v Vic Country U18 game would be a good start.

Bahahahahahahahaha. Maybe because the Victorian AFL teams are aligned with the Victorian league (VFL), the South Australian teams are aligned with the South Australian league (SANFL), the Western Australian teams are aligned with the Western Australian league (WAFL), and the Queensland and New South Wales teams are aligned with the North Eastern Australian league (NEAFL)???

If you're going to play "feeder competitions" before the GF then rotate VFL, SANFL, WAFL, TSL & NEAFL. VFL is as associated with AFL as the others in this context.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back