Opinion Who can we turn into a tall defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen JK, so can someone clarify why it is that he is seen as a third tall? He could certainly develop the required physical traits for full back...

Very good at intercepting marks and is quite agile for his size. He's solid and reliable - won't make many errors.

On the other hand, he is 192 (not 194cm as I think he is reported on the GFC website), and not the best 'wrestling type - which is what makes no.1 full backs so good.

Has the attributes to make a very reliable 3rd back (or maybe CHB), but not big or strong enough, imo, to be wrestling the Cloke/Tippet/Patton etc types.

Could prove me wrong though.

I see Goddard in this draft as the ideal replacement for Lonergan. 196cm, strong and smart reader plus very good 1 on 1. He must be our no.1 priority now.

IF (and a big IF) Clark can get on to the park most games, then there is no real room for Walker as a forward. Try him as a key defender. Too many positive attributes to have him languishing in the VFL.

and if that's the case then it's a ******* disgrace. Too many positive attributes to have him not playing forward.

After he finished the season on such a personal high, it must be confidence sapping when the club gets a 27 year old, injury prone player in.

Im not sure its necessarily height we need to chase - a few cms here or there we can deal with….

I think its strength. I get Domsy is tall and has good reach but to me its his ability to go with the monsters and cover them one on one that makes him great for us. And in the one on one, he can hold his own on the strength front. None of Hammer, HT, Kolo, Toohey, Mackie, Rivers give me the impression of the Domsy replacement….. yet. Not saying it can't happen or won't happen. If anything, the size and strength quotient seems to be filled by Walker more than anyone.

GO Catters

I haven't seen JK, so can someone clarify why it is that he is seen as a third tall? He could certainly develop the required physical traits for full back...

CB , I think he projects as a 3rd atm , and his skill set should allow him to play that roll. He a very good kicking action , maybe a little to good at time as he may go for a little too much. At drafting he 192 , not sure if he has grown but it wouldn't be unusual. I think eventually he could be a very solid 1o1 player but just as Rucks & Forwards are getting taller , so too are defenders. Think Lonergan is 197. Really Id say that's down the track and he could play a 3rd man role while he builds his game tally.

Im not sure its necessarily height we need to chase - a few cms here or there we can deal with….

I think its strength. I get Domsy is tall and has good reach but to me its his ability to go with the monsters and cover them one on one that makes him great for us. And in the one on one, he can hold his own on the strength front. None of Hammer, HT, Kolo, Toohey, Mackie, Rivers give me the impression of the Domsy replacement….. yet. Not saying it can't happen or won't happen. If anything, the size and strength quotient seems to be filled by Walker more than anyone.

GO Catters

Height does give the advantage of reach ( most of the time ) but a cm here or there yes you are correct.

CB , I think he projects as a 3rd atm , and his skill set should allow him to play that roll. He a very good kicking action , maybe a little to good at time as he may go for a little too much. At drafting he 192 , not sure if he has grown but it wouldn't be unusual. I think eventually he could be a very solid 1o1 player but just as Rucks & Forwards are getting taller , so too are defenders. Think Lonergan is 197. Really Id say that's down the track and he could play a 3rd man role while he builds his game tally.

The footy club has Jake's height as the same as James Frawley's. That is 193 cms.
O.K. Frawley has a mature body at 26 y.o. and has the weight advantage at the moment.
And I agree on the 3rd tall role. I think that it would serve both Jake and the club best if he was introduced to AFL footy via a 3rd tall/flank position rather than being thrown in the deep end straight away.

On the other hand, he is 192 (not 194cm as I think he is reported on the GFC website), and not the best 'wrestling type - which is what makes no.1 full backs

I don't see either of Lonergan and Harry as what you would call a big wide thick body defender either (eg merret). Can only wait and see if someone has the genes for a powerful core after enough pre seasons.

Should we not really care more about who we can turn into A grade mids?
Selwood needs serious help.
Look at all the teams that beat us, or would have if we faced them, in September, seriously good deep mids.
Hawks have the best, Freo, NM, Port, Swans, all amazing depth of mids.
We improve that, and we go forward more and less worry about a tall kb.
Bundy/SJ being injured is critical, but SJ as a mid is iffy anyway, Brownlow votes or not, very overrated as a reliable mid.
GHS, Guthrie, Duncan will all improve, but not in the timeframe of the OP of the other thread (2015 flag chances)

Look at all the teams that beat us, or would have if we faced them, in September, seriously good deep mids.
Bundy/SJ being injured is critical, but SJ as a mid is iffy anyway, Brownlow votes or not, very overrated as a reliable mid.
GHS, Guthrie, Duncan will all improve, but not in the timeframe of the OP of the other thread (2015 flag chances)

Problem is VD we need everything. We need the midfield to improve. We need young defenders to start coming through. We need to find more forward support for Hawkins. And most important of all, we need to find just one ruckman that can actually win hitouts and stay out there most weeks.

Problem is VD we need everything. We need the midfield to improve. We need young defenders to start coming through. We need to find more forward support for Hawkins. And most important of all, we need to find just one ruckman that can actually win hitouts and stay out there most weeks.
And a bit of good luck/? management of injuries. WE ACTUALLY MAY HAVE WHAT WE NEED, BUT WE JUST CAN'T GET THEM OUT THERE.
Sorry caps lock again.

I agree we need an A grade midfield more so ,already made a thread about that after we lost to hawthorn in the finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caddy and Motlop will be A grade next year if fit. Bundy potentially too and Guthrie should improve. midfield is fine. just need to get them fit and running and work on disposal as well.

Could Blitz be used in the back half ?- big, mobile.
How hard can it be, just punch the ball, beat your guy and handball to HBFs

Oh its simple. Thats why any big we have on the list just goes back there and does it.

The hard stuff is the running patterns. THAT takes ages to get right...

o_O
Go Catters

Running patterns I thought that was his strength- or are you taking the p*ss ?
Extraction of urine definitely present in my recent posts.

Guilty as charged.

Go Catters

Maybe it's not luck; maybe we're not as good in fitness and management of injuries as we like to think we are.

I think this is more the case Partridge. Some of the medico decisions in the last couple of years have been perplexing to say the least. I think they put too much faith in a players ability to recover fully in a short space of time.

+1 a player is always going to put his hand up to play "tis but a flesh wound!"

Def luck >> management issues

Depends where you were talking about. If you claim any problem in the ruck I would say it's 0% luck and 100% management. The club knowingly recruited a 28-year-old McIntosh; they knowingly shipped off our one durable ruckman in West; they knowingly entered 2014 with two proper ruckmen and one backup.

Depends where you were talking about. If you claim any problem in the ruck I would say it's 0% luck and 100% management. The club knowingly recruited a 28-year-old McIntosh; they knowingly shipped off our one durable ruckman in West; they knowingly entered 2014 with two proper ruckmen and one backup.

Daws knee injury against the Saints in 2013 was management? Never had a knee issue ( back's a plenty but not knees) and hurts it jumping at the centre bounce… Really?o_O

If im not reading your post right then please correct me.

Go Catters

Daws knee injury against the Saints in 2013 was management? Never had a knee issue ( back's a plenty but not knees) and hurts it jumping at the centre bounce… Really?o_O

If im not reading your post right then please correct me.

Go Catters

Not last year so much, but in 2014 for sure. The point is Mcintosh was always a huge risk. When you then get rid of West, and keep only Simpson as a number one ruckman alongside him, it's pretty precarious before you start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back