Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling its all going to come tumbling down for Lance Franklin this year - wont see the season out and will retire before years end.

There's no issue with nominating Harvey, but the reasons people are giving are laughable and 20 seconds of research would show that the reasons given are ridiculous.

Had a season last year the equal of many of his efforts over the last 10 years and did so playing 1/3rd of the season out of defense.
Has no injuries and is the best at the club for recovery and preparation.
18th in the league for Time on Ground so he's not suffering old man fatigue.
Was only ever the sub for disciplinary reasons (coaching staff said he was not playing how they asked him to).
Still good for 20-30 goals a year and led the club for disposals which despite the claims above he was 16th in the league for effective disposals.

My favorite was how he will struggle without the sub rule.

Boomer was starting sub, what one time? and it was more disciplinary than critque on form.

IMHO Brent Harvey will play to the same age that Craig Bradley did.

Nick Riewoldt, playing on is really a waste of time when the best he can really do at such a bad club is help them avoid adding another spoon to their collection down at Seaford.

I agree the club would probably be better off to develop someone, Pav is different as Freo are a chance to take a flag and if the Pavs body holds out, he will be a big part of it. He hasnt had a bad run with injury so worth the risk I say.

I'm just wondering how a guy who moves like an iceberg, and has a limited skill range (though he's very good at what he does) is going to play a Steve Johnson type role?

He's almost the direct opposite type of player.

Seems like you have the piss-ant obsession more than me.

Schulz is perfectly capable of being the third tall in the pocket.

He's also very capable providing forward pressure and leading up the wing. He's played that role before and if his legs hold up, he can do it again in 2016.

I also note you fascination with all things port. It's very strange.

He's also very capable providing forward pressure and leading up the wing. He's played that role before and if his legs hold up, he can do it again in 2016.

Sorry when did Schulz play the 3rd tall for Port?

Also since when is Johnson a 3rd tall. This comparison is just crap.

Schulz is without question FF he can handle a quality defender although struggled last year, get him the ball and he doesnt miss, Dixon will play CHF, Westoff is without question a third tall he cant handle the #1 defender but is great with the lesser lights against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schulz is without question FF he can handle a quality defender although struggled last year, get him the ball and he doesnt miss, Dixon will play CHF, Westoff is without question a third tall he cant handle the #1 defender but is great with the lesser lights against him.

This is probably closer than Schultz playing as a 'creative HFF'. Schultz/Dixon/Westhoff is a poor man's Hale/Roughead/Gunston

Hale was easily the weakest of the three overall, but the strongest contested/pack mark and provided structure. Roughead roamed the entire forward half, using skill/speed rather than strength, playing "small" whilst Gunston would push right up to the wing/HBF, using his endurance and speed to destroy taller opponents, whilst dragging shorter guys to the goalsquare. Hale was "never" named at FF, yet played as the deepest forward more often than either Roughead or Gunston.

Port will likely try a similar set-up. Westhoff likes to get up and around the ground, Dixon seems pretty mobile for a tall, and Schultz knows how to play FF.

If Pav wants to play one more year to try get a flag then good on him, he more than just about any player deserves success given he's stuck with that mob all these years.

If Pav wants to play one more year to try get a flag then good on him, he more than just about any player deserves success given he's stuck with that mob all these years.

While I agree with your sentiment, Pav chose to stick around. He did the right thing by them and they've done the right thing by him.

I know he was offered tempting deals from both SA sides.

Dixon will be taking the number 1 defender, the most size and considerable skill, leaving the 2nd and 3rd choice to raffle it between the athletically superior Westhoff, or the more skillfull and dangerous Schulz. I'm confident both would be able to win against any 3rd string defender, and Schulz not being double teamed will definitely lengthen his career and more importantly his effectiveness.

Dixon will be taking the number 1 defender, the most size and considerable skill, leaving the 2nd and 3rd choice to raffle it between the athletically superior Westhoff, or the more skillfull and dangerous Schulz. I'm confident both would be able to win against any 3rd string defender, and Schulz not being double teamed will definitely lengthen his career and more importantly his effectiveness.

But wasnt Ryder down there for big parts last year, with Westhoff and Schulz....
Why would this year be much different?

Pav looked shot last finals series but for him this is the last flag shot so why not have a go. The end for 30 plus players tends to come quickly. Harvey looks in great form still. Schultz didn't look great last year but half their team had shockers. Early days preseason will be very interesting.

But wasnt Ryder down there for big parts last year, with Westhoff and Schulz....
Why would this year be much different?

Ryder up forward was a bit overrated and a flash in the pan that I reckon most Port posters overrated and I was saying it last year preseason too.

Dixon is a dedicated forward and a physical contested beast.

Teams still played their number 1 defender on Schulz before the resting ruck in 2015.

Oh dear. You poor sweet thing. You obviously have no idea how footy works.

Let me put it to you simple. Even the best players in the worst sides get tagged, Harvey got tagged in a team that finished top 4.

Could you imagine what he would do if let play freely like say Sam Gibson or the freedom of Richard Douglas?
I'll forgive you, being a newbie....but I didn't see too many taggers on Harvey last year, in fact quite the opposite...time will tell this year, but you may bump the thread if he has a great year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back