Bumped Who Is Closer To A Premiership? Lions/Pies? (new posts start at #244)

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda in particular eh, really look like they're up shits creek in many respects. Although the if Boyd falls remarkably short of producing on his contract at the Doggies there could be serious repercussions. Brisbane aren't in a great shape off-field but I don't think they're in the same bracket as the other two.
Fair enough.

I actually think Bris are in a s**t position.

Just annoys me when their "few" supporters have a go at us.

Brisbane for sure.

Pies took a few steps back this year.

Yeah I know, those injuries didn't play apart in our second half of the season at all huh?

Yeah I know, those injuries didn't play apart in our second half of the season at all huh?

Brisbane are ahead of the curve at the moment. You guys just offloaded one of your best players and had a pretty average year that was detrimental in more ways than one.

Injuries were a massive concern. At your best, you were a very good team. However, getting back to that point is going to take some work.

Hawthorn also had a massive injury list but proved they had depth. I think you guys are lacking in depth.

Brisbane are ahead of the curve at the moment.

They have an okay(might be underselling) midfield, what else? Any good KPF's? KPB's? A spine et al?

Didn't think so.

EDIT: Nice edit btw, lol.

Last edited:
Brisbane are ahead of the curve at the moment. You guys just offloaded one of your best players and had a pretty average year that was detrimental in more ways than one.

Injuries were a massive concern. At your best, you were a very good team. However, getting back to that point is going to take some work.

Hawthorn also had a massive injury list but proved they had depth. I think you guys are lacking in depth.
I would worry about your side before worrying about us.

I'm not worried about your mob at all. You guys ended up only a few positions ahead of us and we ended up beating you anyway. Quite happy with where we're at at the moment.

You've had your fun, run along now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh I thought this was in the AFL forum. Didn't realize it was in the Collingwood board. I'll take my smugness and leave. Afterall, us Doggies supporters need something to be happy about.

I agree with the premise that any long term predictions are highly speculative and things can really change in a hurry - look at Port Adelaide. I get that side completely and I'm not disagreeing.

But the way things are trending for Collingwood with the outs and the consistent decline under Nathan and some of the rules some other teams are being afforded by the AFL, I'm not optimistic about our premiership chances over coming years.

There is a theory and I believe it to be a completely wrong one that the age of 30 is the cut-off point when talking about being AFL relevant. It may be for Collingwood, our guys seem to hit the wall when the hit 30, but if looked after they should be able to remain relevant up until roughly the ages of 33/34 and sometimes though admittedly on the rare occasion longer.

With the current Collingwood group while we have some nice foundation pieces I predict with our current players that we don't in their career cycle win another flag. Perhaps at the very tailend of Moore's career if we really draft well and turn things around and find a way to attract talent, but it's hard to see many of our current guys being around when we do.

Sydney and with the strength of their academy coming through will stay up and continue winning and GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane will rise up and become with time further near impossible to beat top 4 sides who other than the occasional competitor should remain up and markedly better than what we are able to build.

For me it's less I think Brisbane will win a flag as much as I think it's even more unlikely Collingwood win another flag with this group given the nature of the advantages firstly Sydney over the years have been given that puts them so far ahead but then Gold Coast, GWS and Brisbane when eventually they all build, their advantages should be decisive due to the lack of competitive balance within the academy rules.

So I take it you think we are at least 10+ years away from winning a flag? How can you suggest that when even 12 months is a long time in football. 12 months ago everyone was bailing out of the lions, now all of a sudden they are a destination club. You only have to look at where port were 2 years ago to where they are now. Things change quickly in the football world

And to those saying lions are closer to flag, well in 09 people were saying ST Kilda would win a flag before us and look how that turned out.

What Hawthorn did this year was a super human effort, lets see how good their depth would be, if they had the same amount of injuries for 3 years in a row. In 2012 where we had our first horror run of injuries, we were a game away from a grand final losing to the eventual premiers. You can cover injuries for 1 year, try doing it year after year. Hopefully overhauling our medical and fitness people will fix our injury curse, surely we have to get it right sometime.

[QUOT. "Tripwire, post: 35869453, member: 69679"]Yeah, it's not like we had injuries. :rolleyes:

You were 8-3 and still missed the finals, almost as bad as Essendon in 2012.[/QUOTE]
Do us a favour and just go perform auto felatio okay.Now I know you know what it is.Its what all you fitzroy/bears supporters do on a daily basis.

Yeah, it's not like we had injuries. :rolleyes:

You were 8-3 and still missed the finals, almost as bad as Essendon in 2012.

That's nice, why are you here again?

So I take it you think we are at least 10+ years away from winning a flag? How can you suggest that when even 12 months is a long time in football. 12 months ago everyone was bailing out of the lions, now all of a sudden they are a destination club. You only have to look at where port were 2 years ago to where they are now. Things change quickly in the football world

And to those saying lions are closer to flag, well in 09 people were saying ST Kilda would win a flag before us and look how that turned out.

St Kilda with essentially no good young talent on that list at the time were a win now and fall away situation. They had their shot and missed. That can happen. It was the same situation with Western Bulldogs at the time. Collingwood had the better young pieces and it was the list additions that took us over the edge and past those two sides. St Kilda particularly, beyond player 15, maybe player 16 that's about as deep as that list went at the time.

I do feel we are 10+ years away from winning a premiership. I'm just not seeing the pieces. Sure things can change, but with the negative trend things are continuing to change the wrong way.

Brisbane may/may not win a premiership but 5+ years from now I can see them contending and with their academy having a better opportunity to build their list. Doesn't mean that's what will happen, but based on the information I have, while I don't like it, it's what I predict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back