Who is the best captain right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you need to see the captains behind the scenes to make a real judgement on them

But from what we the public see and from results and just watching that doco i would think the answer is Hodge easily

After that? Riewoldt and Pav seem to be real dominant forces at their clubs, i rate mcveigh but not sure why we need Jack.

Selwood seems good and yeah Watson as well.

Only one who seemed odd was cotchin and maybe davis/ward but bit different in a new club

Think you need to see the captains behind the scenes to make a real judgement on them

But from what we the public see and from results and just watching that doco i would think the answer is Hodge easily

After that? Riewoldt and Pav seem to be real dominant forces at their clubs, i rate mcveigh but not sure why we need Jack.

Selwood seems good and yeah Watson as well.

Only one who seemed odd was cotchin and maybe davis/ward but bit different in a new club

Forgot about him, inspirational leader at your club, having to deal with painful adversity too in the past, great guy :)

Forgot about him, inspirational leader at your club, having to deal with painful adversity too in the past, great guy :)

Only current premiership captain playing apart from hodge too i think.

Yes, that's important. I'd have him 3rd on my list behind Jones and Murphy. Is that okay?
yeah, i don't really care about any order. I just find it hard to understand a hierarchy that takes important things like 'big stage performances' into calculation and then includes Nathan Jones in that list.
Don't get me wrong, I love the way Jones goes about it. He plays as hard and with as much conviction as anyone else to play AFL in the past decade. But he rarely has had the opportunity to lead his team when the stakes are high.

yeah, i don't really care about any order. I just find it hard to understand a hierarchy that takes important things like 'big stage performances' into calculation and then includes Nathan Jones in that list.
Don't get me wrong, I love the way Jones goes about it. He plays as hard and with as much conviction as anyone else to play AFL in the past decade. But he rarely has had the opportunity to lead his team when the stakes are high.

But that's not his fault. when he is on the field he gives it 100%, leads by example and appears to encourage players around him to do the same - you can't ask anymore than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When rating or selecting a captain, it's not about their win/loss record, nor is it about their footballing ability... The question is, outside of their footy skills and prowess, does having them as captain add value to the sides onfield performance? Champion players will always be champion players, their contributions will always be great. A captain has to go over and above skills and ability, his leadership has to add a tangible difference to the team's performance.
Hawthorn have one "captain" but about 8 blokes who's leadership is impeccable. With all due respect, teams like Richmond and my mob don't have any.

boy have we found that out the hard way with murphy. how kade simpson wasn't made the captain is beyond me

Has anybody mentioned G. Ablett yet? GC is a finals contender in 2014 till he did his shoulder, turn into also rans without him, look uncompetitive at the start of this year, returns to lead his side to a 50 point thumping of the roos (prelim finalist) and and the next 2 weeks are overrun by bulldogs and gws in the last quarter after leading at 3q time. Does his knee against the crows and the suns look a shadow of the team they were with him. Either he is the best player we will ever see or he inspires those around him to grow another leg and be much better footballers like a good captain should

So would you rank the 18 captains in ladder order? That assumes all captains are working with the same quality of list, coaching staff and resources.
Don't exactly mean it like that, but its funny that most people would say Rockliff and Murphy are the 2 worst captains in the game but there teams are down the bottom of the ladder. For example a lot of people are praising Robert Murphy for his leadership because the bulldogs overachieved this year and won more games than they probably were predicted to. A good leader will be able to galvanise his team to win more than they probably should and overachieve, whilst some of the perennial under achievers losing more games than they should can be factored to poor leader

It wasn't Nathan Jones who Picked Watts over Naitanui/Hill or Sam Blease/James Strauss over Shuey/Hannebery/Beams, Scully/Trengrove over Martin/Cunnington/Sheppered or Tompouras over Stringer/MCrae/Wines

Nobody really knows, Sure you can take on-field preformances, However captains are not picked because they are the best on-field.

I know people used to Rip into Vandenberg for being a run with player with a short temper on-field but he absolutly eliminated our party boy "footys just a job" attitude at hawthorn which was crucial when guys like Hodge/Lewis/Franklin came in. Who's to say those 3 boys who did like to let loose would of developed how they did with blokes like Peter Schwab still around
I reckon if you reversed all those draft selections, e.g.. toumpas over mcrae, mcrae would be now a struggling AFL player whilst Toumpas would be racking 30 touches a game at the bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back