Opinion Who is the worst person you've met in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Only Cats player I've ever met ( I think) was Adrian Fletcher. I think he played for you guys didn't he? He played for everyone else.

Anyway, we met him at Crown one night on a cricket trip when he was still playing and a few of us more experienced guys coaxed him over to for a chat and talk to the younger guys about how to get the best from themselves etc. Chatted to us for ages. Was an awesome bloke.

Also met Crackers Keenan a few times actually. Was mates with a guy who coached our footy team. He was a rippa.

Enjoyed reading this thread guys.

Williams did rub some people the wrong way with his intensity and his brutal honesty. Made people nervous in interviews. He would stare at people and grill them half to death. He supported players to the point of counselling them and their partners if they were having issues settling in Adelaide or even relationship advice as a family man. He was not so good at supporting some of the fringe players which was probably his downfall. Had good values, gave to the community and had a lot of admirers within the Port Adelaide footy club.

My worst encounter was Darren Jarman. I had the audacity to say hi as I we were entering a convenience store. He gave me a look as if to say, "who are you".

Williams did rub some people the wrong way with his intensity and his brutal honesty. Made people nervous in interviews. He would stare at people and grill them half to death. He supported players to the point of counselling them and their partners if they were having issues settling in Adelaide or even relationship advice as a family man. He was not so good at supporting some of the fringe players which was probably his downfall. Had good values, gave to the community and had a lot of admirers within the Port Adelaide footy club.

I wouldn't mind betting that's a common trait among footy coaches.

At the end of the day, they are there to build teams that win matches. They will always be more favourably disposed to more talented players. Just how it is.

I wouldn't mind betting that's a common trait among footy coaches.

At the end of the day, they are there to build teams that win matches. They will always be more favourably disposed to more talented players. Just how it is.
With Geelong the team has always been more important than the individual. With Mark it really didn't matter how well you were playing in the seconds, if Mark didn't think you couldn't play you never would.

The structure of the team, the coaching and the hard work over the summer is what the team is made of. When there is too much room for individuals I can give you 119 reasons how that can go pear shaped. :(

With Geelong the team has always been more important than the individual. With Mark it really didn't matter how well you were playing in the seconds, if Mark didn't think you couldn't play you never would.

The structure of the team, the coaching and the hard work over the summer is what the team is made of. When there is too much room for individuals I can give you 119 reasons how that can go pear shaped. :(
I think there's an element of that creeping in at the GFC over recent years. Having said that, though, we aren't privy to the stats and player information that the coaches are. Players that we think are ready for the seniors or are not ready for the seniors might be kept out or included for reasons that are not apparent to us. e.g. a player with a specific role in the seniors might look like he's not producing, whereas the coaches may be very happy with what he is achieving (ignoring stats) on the ground. Likewise, a player who appears to be doing well in the reserves may just not be ready in one way or another to play seniors.

I'm sure we all hope that it never becomes 119.

Being in WA it's a bit different but met a few very decent people off the top of my head. Derek and Dale Kickett for one.

-Worked with Karl Langdon for a bit and he along with Brad Hardie were actually quite decent...just don't take betting tips from the latter.

-Gary Malarkey has always been approachable and teached a couple of mates.

-Andrew Krakouer I met a few times both at a gym and after the few games he played for West Perth. Very quiet and humble guy post jail stint.

-Kevin Caton is always at my local telling the same stories but nice enough.

-Craig Turley was a great guy but always seemed like his mind was elsewhere.

-Sam Newman, thoroughly decent human being off camera.

-Saw Troy Cook and David Wirrapunda completely smashed at a DJ gig once. Seemed happy enough and not causing trouble.

-Former Docker and Saint Craig Callaghan at a pub once with his entourage. Really decent guy. Weird thing was his entourage all wore the same clothes and had the same hairstyle/goatee as he did. Was like an Aphex Twin video.

-The Entire Celtic side were great people when here in 2011. Georgious Samaras was a bit shitty but he'd just got off a plane.

BAD

-For a shitty student job I worked with Christian Kelly who won the Simpson Medal for West Perth in the 1999 Grand Final. Was a massive fan so too bad he was a complete prick. Arrogant as all hell. Me being a student and kind of there just for the money for booze/rent didn't help.

-Paul Mifka. One of West Perth's greats never seemed to switch off being a cop.

-Ex Claremont premiership player Peter Thorn is an absolute piece of s**t.

-Jason Ball at the 1999 Big Day Out was pretty much itching for a fight.

-Darren Lehmann. The poster child of your average Australian cricket fan. Loud, uncouth and racist. Was not surprised when the David Hookes thing happened.

-Michael Slater. Fielding near the fence for NSW walked over to kids asking for autographs at the WACA and told them they should know there's a specific time after the game where he and his teammates (was a full strength NSW team with Waughs McGrath etc) will be signing autographs and they should know this. The said 'what did I just say' when a dad of the kids said it would only take a second. Complete spanner as has been proven many times since.

Terrific thread, guys.

Not a footballer, but I once met Viv Richards (remember him?) and he was like the guy next door. Talked for ages, laughed a lot and seemed
happy to hang around until I was ready to go.

Huge respect for Smokin' Joe!

Have also spoken to a few Saints boys in the last few years and would go with Tommy Lee and Farren Ray as the picks of the bunch.

And Lenny. Goes without saying, really!

Harry Taylor. Top bloke.

Had to deliver an bedroom suite to his home.

Was working alone this day and Harry gave me a hand unloading the lot.

Very respectful.
Nicest bloke? Ian Nankervis. Absolute gentleman! Closely followed by Polly Farmer.
Biggest a-hole is a split between Scratcher Neill and Sam Newman.

Harry Taylor. Top bloke.

Had to deliver an bedroom suite to his home.

Was working alone this day and Harry gave me a hand unloading the lot.

Very respectful.

Good northampton boy. I've been a wedding up that way that his dad was at. Farming family that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Barnes was on Mike Sheahans show last year

Barnes was a big fan of Malcolm Blight - however did say that at one point Blight warned him ( Barnes) that he was on very thin ice ( re his behaviour) and that he wanted to tread carefully

Barnes said - Blight told him that he had just sacked a Geelong player for being a diiick head - and Barnes would be next - if he didnt tidy up his act

Barnes wouldnt reveal the name of the player Blight had just sacked - who was he ?

Not long after Rodney Eade was sacked from the swans he was paid cash $$$$$ to come and take the senior guys for a training run where I was playing in Sydney. He was also meant to speak to the whole club after training as part of the deal but didn't bother to stay until the end and still took all the cash!

Also went to school with Ricky Ponting, great bloke as is his whole family.

Barnes wouldnt reveal the name of the player Blight had just sacked - who was he ?

Can't remember back that far!

There are a few dickheads still in the team if the rumourmill in Geelong is to be believed. What's the story with Kelly marrying some taken woman who was also having an affair with one of the Selwood twins? Scandalous.. :confused:

Danny Southern almost ran me over in his ute when I was a kid. I was riding my bike up the street and he came barreling out of a laneway and almost clipped my front tyre and gave me an earful as he drove off. I just stood there shocked for a while and then walked my bike the block or so home. When I walked in, my old man asked me what was wrong and I just burst into tears and said "Danny Southern just yelled at me." Pretty sure dad had to stifle his laughter as he was comforting me.
Way to make a 7 year old girl cry Danny, ya big bully.

Nicest bloke? Ian Nankervis. Absolute gentleman! Closely followed by Polly Farmer.
Biggest a-hole is a split between Scratcher Neill and Sam Newman.
I've never met Newman but interesting to read many people say he is the opposite of an a-hole in person.

Is Sam the a-hole and John the gentleman?

Some good reading on this thread.

Having lived in Geelong most of my life, I've met quite a few of the current and former players either at work or sport or just in the street.

THE BEST:

Harry Taylor, Mooney, Bartel, Selwood, Chappy and Josh Hunt were all polite and genuine.
Jamed Kelly is a ripper and I shared a good laugh with him over that video of him pretending to be asleep in the post-match song! It told him it was gold but he said he club wasn't too thrilled about it :)

And having lived next to Ablett snr for a little while, he was always happy to sign autographs and pose for photos etc.

From my own club, Nick Maxwell is a great guy. Probably not going to get much love on the Geelong board, but he's a top bloke.

THE WORST:

Bill Brownless - just an arrogant tosser.
Hot daughters though........

I've never met Newman but interesting to read many people say he is the opposite of an a-hole in person.

Is Sam the a-hole and John the gentleman?

I've heard Sam Newman is really genuine and one of the nicest people you could meet in person, it's just his persona in the media that makes him sound like a twat.

I've heard Sam Newman is really genuine and one of the nicest people you could meet in person, it's just his persona in the media that makes him sound like a twat.
I think I read somewhere that he himself have pointed out that 'Sam' is the character he plays

Terrific thread, guys.

Not a footballer, but I once met Viv Richards (remember him?) and he was like the guy next door. Talked for ages, laughed a lot and seemed happy to hang around until I was ready to go.

Huge respect for Smokin' Joe!

Anyone who is old enough and a cricket fan will definitely remember him. I have heard from a few people that although he looked by far the most arrogant on the field, off the ground he was anything but.

Let's just say I'm very jealous.

Anyone who is old enough and a cricket fan will definitely remember him. I have heard from a few people that although he looked by far the most arrogant on the field, off the ground he was anything but.

My uncle owns one of the swanky wanky volvo dealerships in Melbourne, and they brought Viv and Beefy Botham out for something years back. Both were great blokes to deal with apparently

In my humble opinion, he was the most amazing cricketer i ever saw. His 50 over game was at the time unparalleled. I loved him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back