Who to use our first pick on if we don't have to use our first round pick on Moore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
For me it would have to be either Brayshaw or Ahern. Using it on another tall fwd would be an option as well and we could set ourselves up with two great future tall fwds for over a decade.

Brayshaw will be gone before us most likely and everyone here bags us for having to mean short arse Ahern is just another. He is a good player just not sure weather I want him at pick 8. Maybe DeGoey

Jarrod Pickett or Jayden Laverde

Just a hypothetical, If we traded Pick 8 and Lumumba to GWS for Pick 3 and O'Rourke for example, would we be able to get Moore with our second rounder if St.Kilda and Melbourne didn't bid for him? Is that how it works?

Nope, it's your original pick.
No we will no if we have to use pick 8 on Moore before we can trade
So what happens if we say we'll take Moore with pick 8, and no one else bids? Then we can use a second rounder or something?

So how does it work if a club with a pick before 8 says they want him? We're forced to use our first pick?

So what happens if we say we'll take Moore with pick 8, and no one else bids? Then we can use a second rounder or something?

So how does it work if a club with a pick before 8 says they want him? We're forced to use our first pick?
We nominate him saying if no one else wants him we will take him with our last pick in the draft. Then other clubs will bid on him to determine where we take him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mJust a quick one: I thought there had been an article in the AFL website that we would be getting a steal 'only' having to use our first rounder on him, he was being touted as a potential number one pick on talent etc. Is that just the usual media hyperbole associated with anything to do with us or is he a guaranteed to be a top 5 / top 10 pick?

Jayden Laverde, here's a write up from another board courtesy of Dannnnnnnnnn

Jayden Laverde
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Utility

Strengths: The biggest thing with Jayden is that he's truly versatile - short of the ruck, he can play anywhere on the ground to a high level. Laverde is a brilliant kick off both sides of the body, pulling off excellent passes and setting up his teammates more often than not. He has good defensive awareness without it necessarily being the best part of his game, which enables him to play in the back half and put his kicking skills to good use. He reads the play very well and peels off his man when necessary, taking intercept possessions and really hurting the opposition the other way. Complemented by this is his pace. Laverde is not a truly explosive runner, but he has some real breakaway pace that allows him to break the lines and gain an extra few metres for his side. This, combined with his agility and awareness, makes him quite a difficult player to catch. It also makes him effective on the lead, especially up forward. He creates separation on defenders with ease, especially if he is given a head start due to improper defensive positioning or poor awareness. He's also a good overhead mark with excellent ability one-on-one, putting his size to good use and allowing him to compete if he doesn't get out on a lead.

Through the midfield he plays predominantly as an outside receiver, and it is a role he does exceptionally well. His athleticism commonly allows him more time and space than you'd like to give such a good kick, and his awareness and footy IQ aid him to peel off and get in a position to do some real damage. His contested game isn't brilliant but I see it projecting as a real strength in the future, with both his ability at ground level and his bigger body contributing. He puts his height to good use and is able to grab those connecting marks, or to be a good option on the kick-out.

In short, it's his versatility - combined with his excellent skills - that puts him over the line for me.

What he needs to work on: His contested game is probably the first area of improvement. He's not terrible by any means but it's not at a level where you can consider it a genuine strength. He will win his own ball when he has to, but he's not the kind of player you would chuck on-ball in the dying stages of a close game. At the moment he's that pacy outside runner that gives you some creativity and flair going through the midfield, but for him to continue to progress his game you want him to become that sort of player that you can totally rely on inside and out. He has the tools, he just has to work at them.

Secondly, I imagine the club that selects him will be quick to reel in his flair. Not to drop it completely - as it's what makes his game unique - but as somebody that likely begins his career running off half back he can't take the dangerous option as often as he does. At the moment he can try to push past his limitations a bit too often and it can result in shanked kicks or poor decisions, which have left his team vulnerable to opposition scores off turnovers. You don't want to take that tendency to be dangerous with possession away from him - as, more often than not, his intentions work out - but it does need to be limited to fit more into team 'policy.'

Laverde is prone to inconsistency and fade outs during games, however this is something I see being ironed out relatively quickly. A lot of the time it just seems to be a lack of concentration however endurance may play a part. It will take some work but I can see him being able to improve this significantly over a period of time. The beauty with Laverde is that he is a reliable option defensively, meaning that even if he isn't at his best offensively, his opponent rarely gets totally off the leash.

Past that, for me, it is simply just continuing to put some muscle on that frame to aid him further inside and around the ground.

For me it's Liam Duggan, but only because we share last names and I'd desperately love the only Duggan in the AFL to be a pie

Just a hypothetical, If we traded Pick 8 and Lumumba to GWS for Pick 3 and O'Rourke for example, would we be able to get Moore with our second rounder if St.Kilda and Melbourne didn't bid for him? Is that how it works?

No all fs bidding takes place prior to trade week.

So only way we do that is if other clubs don't bid in those first 7 picks.

No all fs bidding takes place prior to trade week.

So only way we do that is if other clubs don't bid in those first 7 picks.

Which I think is highly unlikely, ESPECIALLY if Melbourne get number 3 as compensation for Frawley.

at the moment Moore is touted a number 6 - 10 pick, given a position in the draft I wonder if it's worth trading pick 8 and a player or players to go up the draft and into the top 5. this would then mean we get a top 5 pick with " most likely " no one before us bidding on Moore. we can then secure moore at our 2nd round. so the question is what player(s) should be traded ? . the obvious ones with some value. and remembering it's only as a sweetner because we are giving pick 8 also include.

Harry L
N Brown
Toovey
Young
Seedsman
Sinclair
Williams
Blair

Which I think is highly unlikely, ESPECIALLY if Melbourne get number 3 as compensation for Frawley.

That wont come into consideration - compensation picks will be decided towards (or at the end of) free agency and that is well after the FS bidding process takes place.

at the moment Moore is touted a number 6 - 10 pick, given a position in the draft I wonder if it's worth trading pick 8 and a player or players to go up the draft and into the top 5. this would then mean we get a top 5 pick with " most likely " no one before us bidding on Moore. we can then secure moore at our 2nd round. so the question is what player(s) should be traded ? . the obvious ones with some value. and remembering it's only as a sweetner because we are giving pick 8 also include.

Harry L
N Brown
Toovey
Young
Seedsman
Sinclair
Williams
Blair
But Moore is bid on before the trade period starts

But Moore is bid on before the trade period starts
Hmm I'm unclear how that works then because I didn't think Draft picks were confirmed until after the trade period.
eg)

ok so then. lets say that Carlton is the only team to bid at pick #6, we then as it stands need to commit to pick 8, but lets then say that during the draft period and hypothetical of course. we trade pick #8, Harry L to GWS for their Pick #3. that would then mean that unless St.kilda or Melbourne pick moore we can then use pick #3 on someone else and use our 2nd round pick on moore ?

Hmm I'm unclear how that works then because I didn't think Draft picks were confirmed until after the trade period.
eg)

ok so then. lets say that Carlton is the only team to bid at pick #6, we then as it stands need to commit to pick 8, but lets then say that during the draft period and hypothetical of course. we trade pick #8, Harry L to GWS for their Pick #3. that would then mean that unless St.kilda or Melbourne pick moore we can then use pick #3 on someone else and use our 2nd round pick on moore ?

It is a very simple system, if Carlton bid with pick 7 and we match that with pick 8 we have to take Moore with pick 8 and we are unable to trade that pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back