Who will grab the spots up for grabs

Remove this Banner Ad

The only two spots I see available are those opened up by the loss of Taylor and Brown. I wouln't be putting a cross through Ozzy, X-man, or Changa just yet.

Hale comes in for Taylor, with Renouf looking over his shoulder at Large Max's knee. I suspect Bruce might just go in to the backline for Browndog.

FB: Goo - Gilham - Bruce
HB: Gibber - Stratton - Birch
Ce: Young - Sool - Changa
HF: Louie - Buddy - Burgers
FF: Junior - Roughy - Ozzy

Ru: Renouf
RR: Mitch
Ro: Hodge

I/C: Hale, X-Man, WhiteX + Savage (maybe Ladson)

Can't find room for Smurf with Bruce coming into the side :( Others that might push to be included with form at BHH are Laddo/Savage, Sheila, Schoey, Lisle, Poo, Cheney, Suckers, Bruest and Duryea.

BTW Murphy is going to need to improve vastly over the next month. The Acid test is on him with the good performances of our defense without him in the lineup. Especially with others players playing his role well. Hopefully his gold card pass won't keep his spot if he's not performing or other players pass him.

Can someone point out which players have out-performed Tom Murphy - have any of these players played AFL footy, or are you counting pre-season games as "playing his role well"?

Or are you referring to comments on internet sites as your source of information?

Murphy's only problem is injury - he'll be back as soon as he gets over it.

Interesting that Ladson doesn't even get a mention in most teams, reckon he will be in the 22. Think he would be ahead of both Pup and Cheney in the match committees eyes.

Can someone point out which players have out-performed Tom Murphy - have any of these players played AFL footy, or are you counting pre-season games as "playing his role well"?

Or are you referring to comments on internet sites as your source of information?

I was saying that with Cheney and Pup coming into the Club, Murphy being out injured and the defense performing well without murphy playing; it has to be a sign that murphy has to improve some more to earn a starting spot not due to a player ahead of him being injured. Don't rule it out is all i'm saying.

Agreed Davo, Murph still copping flack for his 2009 form when we were without Gilham, Stratton wasn't at the club and we were all pinning our hopes on Croady returning from injury. Birchall also missed games through injury and I think Goo pinged a hammy also.

Murph is very highly regarded at the club for good reason... I'm tipping the coaches know more about his role and what he brings to the table than a bunch of internet forum warriors.

When Murphy is fit he is a lock for shut down role on oppositions best small forward.

Love Osborne don't get me wrong. But posting a couple of clips off him does little to change the fact that he has done little for two seasons now and is past his best. At times his lack of discipline is a liability.

Rubbish he is passed his best. Osbourne is the sort of player who looks ordinary when the team is going badly. Prime example is Pies of 2010, there are some average players in that team who looked like guns on the back of their system working beautifully.

He will be back along with the rejuvenated Hawks in 2011.

What is the new game plan going to be and can the tried and trusted deliver it?

Unfortunately I am not Alistair Clarkson so to a point we will have to wait and see. From what I have seen of the pre season we seem to be playing more through the corridor and moving the ball quicker. If we manage to keep some forward line structure (i.e. some forward in our attacking 3rd of the ground) I think it can definitely work with the tried and trusted.

Despite what other clubs are saying about or backline I think we are now quite strong down back. With Shoey, Lisle, Ladson, possibly Poupolo playing at Box Hill things are looking up.

We now have 3-4 great kicks in our Midfield, Hodge, Burgoyne, Rioli, Young and even Bruce adding some class to our ball use.

Forward line I dont need to talk about the potency of Franklin, Rough and we have added resting Hale to our forward line who has kicked goals in each of his appearances for the brown and gold. Hale is a smokey for us this year, I wouldn't mind betting that he will kick 3,4 and even 5 goals multiple times this year. No doubt we will stretch teams for height in the back half which we haven't had the luxury of doing prior to 2011.

Bring on the Crowbots

Unfortunately I am not Alistair Clarkson so to a point we will have to wait and see. From what I have seen of the pre season we seem to be playing more through the corridor and moving the ball quicker. If we manage to keep some forward line structure (i.e. some forward in our attacking 3rd of the ground) I think it can definitely work with the tried and trusted.

Despite what other clubs are saying about or backline I think we are now quite strong down back. With Shoey, Lisle, Ladson, possibly Poupolo playing at Box Hill things are looking up.

We now have 3-4 great kicks in our Midfield, Hodge, Burgoyne, Rioli, Young and even Bruce adding some class to our ball use.

Forward line I dont need to talk about the potency of Franklin, Rough and we have added resting Hale to our forward line who has kicked goals in each of his appearances for the brown and gold. Hale is a smokey for us this year, I wouldn't mind betting that he will kick 3,4 and even 5 goals multiple times this year. No doubt we will stretch teams for height in the back half which we haven't had the luxury of doing prior to 2011.

Bring on the Crowbots

I am preying that the highlighted bit will be reality and I dont think it was an accident that the junior team (infinately quicker) beat the senior team in the intraclub match.

The 21 lock ins are imo:

2. Rough
3. Lewis
5. Mitch
6. Gibson
7. Ossie
8. Ellis
9. Burgoyne
10. Changa
11. Clint
12. Sewell
14. Birch
15. Hodge
17. Bruce
18. Guerra
20. Hale
23. Buddy
24. Stratton
27. Gilham
29. Murphy
33. Cyril
34. Renouf

Leaving 3 of these guys to fill the vacancies:

4. Ladson
13. Cheney
16. Smith
21. Savage
26. Shiels
28. Puop
31. Suckling
37. Whitecross

The bold ones will be chosen I think. 1 prospective small fwd, 1 pacey fringe mid, and one experienced small defender.

The first 21 are the 21 I would always choose. The next 3 are the 3 I think the selectors will choose.

I hope to delete No 34 from my lock ins and add No 39 by mid season.:thumbsu:

I would like to add that I am a bit disturbed by the absence of Schoey in either list and his absence in the last 3 weeks of pre season.:confused::(

The 21 lock ins are imo:

2. Rough
3. Lewis
5. Mitch
6. Gibson
7. Ossie
8. Ellis
9. Burgoyne
10. Changa
11. Clint
12. Sewell
14. Birch
15. Hodge
17. Bruce
18. Guerra
20. Hale
23. Buddy
24. Stratton
27. Gilham
29. Murphy
33. Cyril
34. Renouf

Leaving 3 of these guys to fill the vacancies:

4. Ladson
13. Cheney
16. Smith
21. Savage
26. Shiels
28. Puop
31. Suckling
37. Whitecross

The bold ones will be chosen I think. 1 prospective small fwd, 1 pacey fringe mid, and one experienced small defender.

The first 21 are the 21 I would always choose. The next 3 are the 3 I think the selectors will choose.

I hope to delete No 34 from my lock ins and add No 39 by mid season.:thumbsu:

I would like to add that I am a bit disturbed by the absence of Schoey in either list and his absence in the last 3 weeks of pre season.:confused::(

Tend to agree Merv... Only thing I dont like is a backline containing Laddo and Birch lacks a bit of Mongrel... However I did see a couple of nice passages from Birch up in Shep which suggested he may be a bit more physical in 2011.

Tend to agree Merv... Only thing I dont like is a backline containing Laddo and Birch lacks a bit of Mongrel... However I did see a couple of nice passages from Birch up in Shep which suggested he may be a bit more physical in 2011.

Could not agree more. Merv's locks look spot onto me too. In my eyes Murph has went from being a joke to an absolute lock for the start of the new season in the space of 2 seasons. Clarko obviously loves him and you dont win best clubman awards unless your coaches, peers and administrators all look upon you with the highest regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy will play if fit. He was playing particularly well towards the end of last season. You could see the confidence growing in him when he started to produce some nice contested marks and spoils. I am far from convinced with his disposal and he unfortunately doesn't add any drive from our backline.

Looking at Merv's list its hard to see where but ill be severely disappointed if Savage, Shiels and Whitecross don't get an extended crack at the firsts this year. I think they have all shown they have the attributes to perform in the AFL

Murphy will play if fit. He was playing particularly well towards the end of last season. You could see the confidence growing in him when he started to produce some nice contested marks and spoils. I am far from convinced with his disposal and he unfortunately doesn't add any drive from our backline.

Looking at Merv's list its hard to see where but ill be severely disappointed if Savage, Shiels and Whitecross don't get an extended crack at the firsts this year. I think they have all shown they have the attributes to perform in the AFL

There will almost always be 2-3+ injured, suspended etc so they will definitely get their chance imo.
If they make the most of their chances they may well cement themslves a place.

Possible line for round one:

B: Gibson, Gilham, Suckling
HB: Bruce, Stratton, Birchall
C: Young, Mitchell, Shiels
HF: Hodge, Franklin, Lewis
F: Hale, Roughead, Osbourne
R: Renouf, Burgoyne, Rioli
Int: Whitecross, Sewell, Bateman
SUB: Either Murphy or Shoenmakers

Last year they swung him forward a couple of times, he did present well and took some strong grabs. I can see his value in being played as the sub. Picture this, we lose a mid, he releases Bruce. We lose a forward he releases Bruce or Suckling. We lose a defender, well he slots right in, given in 09 he proved he could plug a hole if needed in defence.

Agreed Davo, Murph still copping flack for his 2009 form when we were without Gilham, Stratton wasn't at the club and we were all pinning our hopes on Croady returning from injury. Birchall also missed games through injury and I think Goo pinged a hammy also.

Murph is very highly regarded at the club for good reason... I'm tipping the coaches know more about his role and what he brings to the table than a bunch of internet forum warriors.

When Murphy is fit he is a lock for shut down role on oppositions best small forward.

1st bold: This was unwarranted as being the key def, when he is fourth maybe third on a stretch, he was bound to get worn down in games.
2nd bold: We all know he is not a Croad but that is what we were demanding of him. Our (the supporters) expectations were far too high.
3rd bold: Cheney has probably been brought to the club because of the Goo's guitar strings. On disposal and decision making I have Suckling in front of Cheney at the moment.
4th bold: There is only one other player in defence that reads the flight of the ball better than Murphy and that is Stratton. He will end up playing the second floater too read the play across halfback. Bruce will play that primarily and Murphy will be there if Bruce is required elsewhere. Bruce's disposal and run will keep him ahead of Murph for the time being IMHO.

Murphy in our starting 18? No
In our best 22? It's a Yes from me.

Last year they swung him forward a couple of times, he did present well and took some strong grabs. I can see his value in being played as the sub. Picture this, we lose a mid, he releases Bruce. We lose a forward he releases Bruce or Suckling. We lose a defender, well he slots right in, given in 09 he proved he could plug a hole if needed in defence.

1st bold: This was unwarranted as being the key def, when he is fourth maybe third on a stretch, he was bound to get worn down in games.
2nd bold: We all know he is not a Croad but that is what we were demanding of him. Our (the supporters) expectations were far too high.
3rd bold: Cheney has probably been brought to the club because of the Goo's guitar strings. On disposal and decision making I have Suckling in front of Cheney at the moment.
4th bold: There is only one other player in defence that reads the flight of the ball better than Murphy and that is Stratton. He will end up playing the second floater too read the play across halfback. Bruce will play that primarily and Murphy will be there if Bruce is required elsewhere. Bruce's disposal and run will keep him ahead of Murph for the time being IMHO.

Murphy in our starting 18? No
In our best 22? It's a Yes from me.

nice analysis... however mostly not required

All you need to know is, Leadership group tick, Best Clubman tick, best lock down medium/small defender tick...

Murph is one of the first 15 picked every week.

nice analysis... however mostly not required

All you need to know is, Leadership group tick, Best Clubman tick, best lock down medium/small defender tick...

Murph is one of the first 15 picked every week.

Fair enough point and it sounds as if you have some inside running on the subject, however, I feel that one of the five most important positions this season will be the sub. The player taking that role will have to be team first in all facets. Have the ability to be injected to the game and not have a negative influence on the balance or structure of the team and if a job is given to him at short notice, Clarko will want to have the faith in that person to give 100% in following his instructions. Murphy to a "T" (for Tom:p).

Given my thoughts above, it is fair to say that I haven't indicated clearly where I think his standing is within the team.

In the first 15 picked:rolleyes: drop the 1;)

Can i ask why people are considering Suckling for a spot in the rd1 team? He is nothing more than a backup/depth player IMO. Yes he is supposed to have one of the best kicks at the club, but let me ask you 'When have you seen him use it in a game?' At the moment Pup, Cheney, Goo and even WX & Laddo are ahead of him in the back pocket position.
You can't put him in the team because he has a good kick, he's going to have to show it off too. And show it off on a kick that travels more than 30m (True stat according to that players stat thread Schwab started a couple of months ago). For those who are unaware Suckling doesn't really standout at BHH and unlike some who play better with better players around them, Suckling hasn't performed any better when in Hawthorn's side.

I do however agree the Murphy will be in the starting 22, despite what i said earlier in the thread. I like the multiple options we now have who can also play the role Murphy does. And like i said in one of my first ever posts, with Murphy CONFIDENCE IS KING. But thankfully if he does go through a patch where he lacks confidence and his performance drops off (ala start of 2010) we have got players who can fill his gap. :thumbsu:

Can i ask why people are considering Suckling for a spot in the rd1 team? He is nothing more than a backup/depth player IMO. Yes he is supposed to have one of the best kicks at the club, but let me ask you 'When have you seen him use it in a game?' At the moment Pup, Cheney, Goo and even WX & Laddo are ahead of him in the back pocket position.
You can't put him in the team because he has a good kick, he's going to have to show it off too. And show it off on a kick that travels more than 30m (True stat according to that players stat thread Schwab started a couple of months ago). For those who are unaware Suckling doesn't really standout at BHH and unlike some who play better with better players around them, Suckling hasn't performed any better when in Hawthorn's side.

I do however agree the Murphy will be in the starting 22, despite what i said earlier in the thread. I like the multiple options we now have who can also play the role Murphy does. And like i said in one of my first ever posts, with Murphy CONFIDENCE IS KING. But thankfully if he does go through a patch where he lacks confidence and his performance drops off (ala start of 2010) we have got players who can fill his gap. :thumbsu:

1. He played round 1 last year in the AFL side despite similar views on him on big footy throughout the preseason.

2. It is a bit unfair to say he doesn't stand out at Box Hill as he has had some very good VFL games, including finals.

3. He is a massive Clarko lovechild like Murphy.

It is hard to know if people pick "their" best side or whether they are trying to predict "Clarko's" best side in these threads.

Certainly if it is the latter then based on precedent with Clarko, Suckling is a massive chance to be in the side for round 1.

From what I saw of Murphy last weekend in second half of the box hill game he looked a long way from senior football in terms of being match fit. Not sure what his first half was like but he didn't run the game out at all but neither did most of the side.

Round 1 against the crows we dont want Hodge, Murphy and Bateman in the same side as all have had very limited game time this preseason especially against a crows outfit that is said to be up and about.

Mervyn I really hope your list of lock-ins isn't reflective of how the club sees it. That list should have about 12-14 names on it maximum based on our list with the rest up for grabs.

1. He played round 1 last year in the AFL side despite similar views on him on big footy throughout the preseason.

2. It is a bit unfair to say he doesn't stand out at Box Hill as he has had some very good VFL games, including finals.

3. He is a massive Clarko lovechild like Murphy.

It is hard to know if people pick "their" best side or whether they are trying to predict "Clarko's" best side in these threads.

Certainly if it is the latter then based on precedent with Clarko, Suckling is a massive chance to be in the side for round 1.

From what I saw of Murphy last weekend in second half of the box hill game he looked a long way from senior football in terms of being match fit. Not sure what his first half was like but he didn't run the game out at all but neither did most of the side.

Round 1 against the crows we dont want Hodge, Murphy and Bateman in the same side as all have had very limited game time this preseason especially against a crows outfit that is said to be up and about.

Mervyn I really hope your list of lock-ins isn't reflective of how the club sees it. That list should have about 12-14 names on it maximum based on our list with the rest up for grabs.

Based on what I saw in the pre season my lock ins are how I see the club seeing it for rnd 1.
I would like to think however, that players from my secondary list and players who arent even on that, place some real pressure on the 'lock ins' as the season progresses.

As i said, injury suspension etc will give players a chance and I hope like hell that a few of those youngsters make the most of those chances and make it impossible for some of the 'lock ins' to get back in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back