Who will win the premiership in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL. Such a transparent attempt to troll Hawthorn supporters.
You probably haven't watched the replay but it was a fairly evenly contested game until halfway through the first quarter and then Hawthorn went into beast mode and Sydney had no answers. Hawthorn put in a season best performance that day and it's unlikely any team could've gone with them the way they played on that day. Sydney were denied the ball and when they did get it they were met with some relentless pressure and physical force.

All true.

I was thinking the same thing. Clearly, the game would have went the other way without Stevic :) ;)

To be fair, the comment is from a Richmond supporter. They don't really understand finals - they confuse Elimination Finals with actually achieving something, for example.

LOL. Such a transparent attempt to troll Hawthorn supporters.
You probably haven't watched the replay but it was a fairly evenly contested game until halfway through the first quarter and then Hawthorn went into beast mode and Sydney had no answers. Hawthorn put in a season best performance that day and it's unlikely any team could've gone with them the way they played on that day. Sydney were denied the ball and when they did get it they were met with some relentless pressure and physical force.
Haven't seen a good team fall apart like Sydney did in the GF since when Fremantle demolished them in the PF the year before.

Haven't seen a good team fall apart like Sydney did in the GF since when Fremantle demolished them in the PF the year before.
Thing was that they were clearly altogether based on their performance against North the week before and for at least the first 10 minutes of the 1st quarter of the GF.

I'm of the opinion that they didn't fall apart, they were forcibly broken.
A boxer who is so skillful they can KO their opponent in the first round isn't considered less of a boxer because their opponent couldn't go on as the result of the beating dealt by them.

You've used Sydney as an example in 2 games within 12 months. So I would say you haven't seen much of anything.:rolleyes:. Of course you could be trolling because you just don't like them. Freo were a better team in 2013 than Sydney. Sydney had not beaten a top 4 side and had run their race with injuries taking a toll by the time they got to a PF. Sydney were not a good team in 2013 and playing Freo on their home deck in a PF was not a good team falling apart. They were outplayed by a superior team.

Thing was that they were clearly altogether based on their performance against North the week before and for at least the first 10 minutes of the 1st quarter of the GF.

I'm of the opinion that they didn't fall apart, they were forcibly broken.
A boxer who is so skillful they can KO their opponent in the first round isn't considered less of a boxer because their opponent couldn't go on as the result of the beating dealt by them.
Yep. Everyone was saying 'the Swans can't get their game going', neglecting to mention that they weren't allowed to get their game going. One of the very first rules of football is simply to 'get the footy'. We had 140 more possessions than them, what does that mean? They weren't being allowed possession. Then in the first quarter, when the game was still semi hot, we had 22 tackles to 7. So when they did have the ball, they were under extreme pressure. All this adds up to one thing: they weren't allowed into the game, they were comprehensively outplayed.

I think the Swans are good enough to win it, and the mental side of the game is huge, they should be one of, if not the hungriest and most determined sides in 2015 after getting so close by making the GF but then getting embarrassed in it. Combine that with their obvious quality list and I think that gives them the edge in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Swans are good enough to win it, and the mental side of the game is huge, they should be one of, if not the hungriest and most determined sides in 2015 after getting so close by making the GF but then getting embarrassed in it. Combine that with their obvious quality list and I think that gives them the edge in 2015.
Any team that might face them in a GF would only need to start really strongly and the Swans would likely crumble again as they begin to doubt their fortitude in the game's biggest match.

That said, what is the hit rate of teams who were belted in a GF actually making it the following year?

Any team that might face them in a GF would only need to start really strongly and the Swans would likely crumble again as they begin to doubt their fortitude in the game's biggest match.

That said, what is the hit rate of teams who were belted in a GF actually making it the following year?
Pretty damn good actually, just off the top of my head, Collingwood made it to the GF in 1981, Essendon made the GF in '84 (and won it), Hawks made the GF in 1986 and won it....

Pretty damn good actually, just off the top of my head, Collingwood made it to the GF in 1981, Essendon made the GF in '84 (and won it), Hawks made the GF in 1986 and won it....

Geelong 1995 too, although they got decimated again. Carlton no good in 2000, Nor Pies in 2004. Port in 2008 missed finals I think?

North in '75, Hawks in '76, North in '77 etc. etc.

Back to your first point, I'm not so sure. Swans will be hungry. Yes, it might cause some mental wobbles, but their opponent would also need to do what you did; not give them a sniff.

So actually a pretty mixed bag all up.

All up yeah, but last 20 years does not augur well.

Teams who just go down tend to do well
the next year though.

North 98-99 (although the margin was reasonable in the end was no flogging)

Eagles 05-06

Cats 08-09

Saints 09-10 (draw)

Hawks 12-13

Just looking at the results now and there were quite a few in the 80's like that... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Football_League_premiers

More recently though, using 40+ points as the cut-off...
Saints didn't back it up following 2010
Port didn't back it up following 2007
Brisbane didn't back it up following 2004
Collingwood didn't back it up following 2003
Melbourne didn't back it up following 2000
Sydney didn't back it up following 1996
Geelong didn't back it up following 1995
Geelong did back it up following 1994 (but lost)
Carlton didn't back it up following 1993
West Coast did back it up following 1991 (and won)
Essendon didn't back it up following 1990

Odds are certainly against Sydney. Though odds are worse for Hawthorn based on these stats as over the same period (since 1990) no team who has won a GF by 40+ has backed it up the following year with another flag. Essendon 2001, Brisbane 2004 and Geelong 2008 all made it again but lost. Also Collingwood 2011 (38 points) was close. 1988 was the last time a team won a GF by 40+ and won the flag the following year.

Surprisingly both Sydney and Hawthorn will have to defy recent history to win the flag in 2015. Should warm the hearts of Port Adelaide who are probably the most likely to face either team in the GF.

Complete and utter bullshit. You cannot seem to get away from the fact that the Swans had a rare very rare shocker in the GF where they might as well not turned up against a side playing out of their skin who were in no doubt deserving and rightfully Champions for 2014. Swans have given plenty of sides head starts and eventually ground them into the Turf. Hawthorn were to good on the day in every area. Sydney do not and will not suffer from mental fragility in 2015 and any supporter that has a clue about football knows it. That is why they are feared and you Sir are underlining it with every pathetic post that you offer on the subject. Give us all spell from your dribble.

Sydney are still a massive chance. Good age profile and although they had an absolute nightmare of a grand final they still have a lot of finals experienced players and will be burning up about what happened.

They will be up there. Hawks, Swans or Port look the most likely but there could be a bolter that surprises.

Complete and utter bullshit. You cannot seem to get away from the fact that the Swans had a rare very rare shocker in the GF where they might as well not turned up against a side playing out of their skin who were in no doubt deserving and rightfully Champions for 2014. Swans have given plenty of sides head starts and eventually ground them into the Turf. Hawthorn were to good on the day in every area. Sydney do not and will not suffer from mental fragility in 2015 and any supporter that has a clue about football knows it. That is why they are feared and you Sir are underlining it with every pathetic post that you offer on the subject. Give us all spell from your dribble.
Settle petal. What I say might occur will have absolutely no influence on what will actually happen. Surely you don't think I have that kind of power?

And now you lambast me for offering my opinion on something that has the most recent game of AFL footy as a perfect example while you make unsupported and absolute claims in response that the Swans won't be effected by mental fragility at any stage of 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back