Why is the media down on Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listening to the media talk about us over the past few weeks and it’s all doom and gloom.The quality of football we are producing is poor but after round 18 is completed we will either be 3rd or 2nd on the ladder having played every side once. This means we have been playing better football than 15 or 16 other sides.

I do not understand
You have just realised the footy media is mostly just a wasteland of overpaid, retired footy players playing the role of 'experts'.
Its just jobs for the boys all round, no professionalism needed so of course footy commentators/journalists blatently barrack for teams and favor some more than others.
But I wouldnt say they single out Geelong or hate Geelong. Many have been critical of North and blatently barracked for St Kilda in their win over Freo.

There is some truth in what your saying though. All through this year we have been told how Port Adelaide have superior fitness than every other side and are firm Premiership favorites according to many. The silence is deafening after their recent bad patch of form.

They're on about us now On The Couch...

Dunstall's always been a fan. He's always asking Healy and Sheahan why they're writing the Cats off, yet again. Of course, Healy brought up 'they've got to put in four quarter performances against good and bad teams', about a minute after talking about how well the Dockers were travelling up until Saturday.

Hey, Gerard: towelling up Melbourne in Darwin and the likes of Brisbane and GWS at Subiaco is all well and good, but their last scalp was in May (against us - and apparently, we're not that much of a scalp). They scraped in against West Coast twice, they did the same against Richmond at the MCG and they've been found wanting in away games against every top four contender they've played. Besides Geelong, the Dockers have beaten two top eight teams and those teams currently reside in 7th and 8th position.

Is Fremantle's form that much different to ours? I'd argue no, except we'd never get towelled up from start to finish by the likes of St Kilda. One of the more perplexing results from a so-called premiership favourite in recent memory.

Just listening to the media talk about us over the past few weeks and it’s all doom and gloom.The quality of football we are producing is poor but after round 18 is completed we will either be 3rd or 2nd on the ladder having played every side once. This means we have been playing better football than 15 or 16 other sides.

I do not understand

Simple answer is we just got over the line for many of our wins, doesn't bode much confidence, and MANY Geelong fans from across the nation agree. While we're top 2/top 3 this round, our efforts alone have not got us there. First the Bulldogs gifted us top 4, we blew it. Then Richmond gifted us our recent top 4 spot, and we've managed to hold it so far.

Yes we've worked "hard" at times, but this is the first time during the 'modern era' that an entire season has been difficult for us to play consistent football, and four quarters. I still say, the Collingwood and Hawthorn games were our best games this year. The Essendon game was simply a late great effort.

Dunstall's always been a fan. He's always asking Healy and Sheahan why they're writing the Cats off, yet again. Of course, Healy brought up 'they've got to put in four quarter performances against good and bad teams', about a minute after talking about how well the Dockers were travelling up until Saturday.

Hey, Gerard: towelling up Melbourne in Darwin and the likes of Brisbane and GWS at Subiaco is all well and good, but their last scalp was in May (against us - and apparently, we're not that much of a scalp). They scraped in against West Coast twice, they did the same against Richmond at the MCG and they've been found wanting in away games against every top four contender they've played. Besides Geelong, the Dockers have beaten two top eight teams and those teams currently reside in 7th and 8th position.

Is Fremantle's form that much different to ours? I'd argue no, except we'd never get towelled up from start to finish by the likes of St Kilda. One of the more perplexing results from a so-called premiership favourite in recent memory.
Its weird with Freo. I thought they were good enough to win it last year and I expected them to be the team to beat this year but they are underwhelming ( except against us of course). What has happened to them?

Its weird with Freo. I thought they were good enough to win it last year and I expected them to be the team to beat this year but they are underwhelming ( except against us of course). What has happened to them?

Walters out has been a big loss for them (due back soon - maybe touch and go for our game). A few players have had a pretty drastic drop in form, most notably for me would be McPharlin (who's also battled injury) and Mayne. Johnson's been a little down, possibly due to having to cover more for McPharlin and having less chance to freewheel. Crowley had a very poor start to the season, with his job on Johnson in our previous meeting being seen as a big return to form (note that his slump coincided with most of Fremantle's losses and Montagna had a good game against him on the weekend). Still most of the time, they have been doing enough, like we have, so it's hard to be too critical, but it is possible to see areas where we can expose them, or should target them.

Our GWS game was a bit of a concern, in all honesty, because it had one aspect that is quite similar to our recent games against Fremantle, in that all their guns had excellent games. And that's going to be critical in a few weeks. We can't let Pavlich, Sandilands, Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Crowley, Hill, Walters, Pearce Ballantyne, Johnson, Mzungu and Neale all have big games. We just need to make sure 4-5 of those guys have ordinary games and we'll be ok.

The truth is no one would have thought that we would be second now. No matter what the media think , if we are good enough we stay there now and if we do ... there will be some media that will change their minds.
We should probably wait until this split round is completed just to insure we really are 2nd.
But, really, we are like a time- bomb, with at least 2 possible outcomes;
1. Lose v top teams and limp out of finals, and confirm the thoughts of many, or
2. Improve, go really deep in September, and defy the odds.
OR
Something in between.
But the very fact we are still in the equation is giving many the -----.

Walters out has been a big loss for them (due back soon - maybe touch and go for our game). A few players have had a pretty drastic drop in form, most notably for me would be McPharlin (who's also battled injury) and Mayne. Johnson's been a little down, possibly due to having to cover more for McPharlin and having less chance to freewheel. Crowley had a very poor start to the season, with his job on Johnson in our previous meeting being seen as a big return to form (note that his slump coincided with most of Fremantle's losses and Montagna had a good game against him on the weekend). Still most of the time, they have been doing enough, like we have, so it's hard to be too critical, but it is possible to see areas where we can expose them, or should target them.

Our GWS game was a bit of a concern, in all honesty, because it had one aspect that is quite similar to our recent games against Fremantle, in that all their guns had excellent games. And that's going to be critical in a few weeks. We can't let Pavlich, Sandilands, Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Crowley, Hill, Walters, Pearce Ballantyne, Johnson, Mzungu and Neale all have big games. We just need to make sure 4-5 of those guys have ordinary games and we'll be ok.
Okay thanks sounds like pretty good summation, still. Bit weak of them though.
Yep -feel confident about Ballantyne-he had such a stellar game against us last time he could not repeat it. I'd like to try Bews on him-if he gets given a job-he will do it. Pavlich can be contained. So can Mzungu. Walters and Hill might be a bit underdone still? Will settle for stopping one of Fyfe, Mundy and Barlow. Come on ruck. Think we can stretch their back line more than in previous recent encounters with Kersten in support of Hawkins. Need some serious crumbing around goal. Don't care if Crolwey tags Johnson out of the game, as long as he doesn't get suspended and someone else steps up. We haven't played well against them for awhile but am hopeful we won't lose to them again this year. We play four quarters, we win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're on about us now On The Couch...
yet AFL360 never mentioned us, they barely even gave GWS any credit for taking the game up to us. AFL360 sucks ass. You'd a thought we didn;t play last weekend the way they ignored us. The Couch & Footy Classified talked about us.

Things I've heard from the media this year:
1) Hawthorn have got the flag won
2) Sydney won't make the 8
3) Fremantle can now kick lots of goals
4) Port Adelaide have superior fitness to every other team
5) Geelong can't win the flag

The first 4 are completely untrue so why should I believe the 5th to be true?

I think what happened in 2010 made the AFL media (who all have their biases writ large in everything they say and do) think "oh goody, someone else to talk about!". In 2011 I distinctly remember the vibe when talking about Geelong was "why won't they die?!?!?". They clung to Collingwood because of Eddie, and when we obliterated them in Round 24 it was an aberration. Then when we won handsomely for our third GF they were forced to say all the nice and proper things through gritted teeth.

Since then our patchy form has meant they can either not have to talk about us, (in)delicately sink the boot in, wave us off as irrelevant or hedge their bets because they know, deep in their hearts, that Geelong will more likely win than lose. I don't really listen to AFL media because it's rather superficial, dry analysis. In comparison this place can use both Van Gogh references and comical gifs to elegantly illustrate a point. Why would I chose the former? :)

Time for a reminder of Tim Lane's famous "The days of domination are over"

And this is PRECISELY why not a s single one of them will draw a line and take a hard stand against us. They will potter round the edges sniping but not one of them will be categoric about it.

Tim Lane is still in therapy and Kingy wears adult nappies to every Cats game.

They have reason to be doubtful. We are not what we once were. However, we are turning the side over and sitting second doing it. And our current offering have been mediocre, but on our day our best is still better than any others.

Dismiss at peril….

Go Catters

It certainly doesn't excuse a 100+ point loss, but it is worth noting that Sydney was only missing one sure-fire best 22 player from its side that evening: Mike Pyke (Gary Rohan and Tom Mitchell might be others that didn't play and would come under consideration if and when we meet again). Geelong, on the other hand, was missing Lonergan, Caddy, Christensen, Kersten and Enright. If we take Smedts, Stringer, Sheringham, Bews and Simpson/McIntosh out and insert those five in, it's looking like a significantly stronger team in defence, up forward and in the midfield, as far as I'm concerned.

It's a fair point you make, MC Extra Dollop.

Added to that, we had several players not going half as well as they are right now.

Both SJ and Sel had plenty of touches against the COLA's but little impact. Their form has really started to turn around again in the last couple of weeks.

And Mots had a whole 12 touches as he worked on easing himself back into senior football.

Just those three improving significantly in their influence on the game would make a massive difference to our chances.

I actually think we have far bigger issues than whether we can compete against Sydney.

I'd just like to get the chance to do so.

And I'm far more concerned about what we might dish up against the Roos and the Shockers than whether we could go with the Swannies in a big finals match if we got that far.

It certainly doesn't excuse a 100+ point loss, but it is worth noting that Sydney was only missing one sure-fire best 22 player from its side that evening: Mike Pyke (Gary Rohan and Tom Mitchell might be others that didn't play and would come under consideration if and when we meet again). Geelong, on the other hand, was missing Lonergan, Caddy, Christensen, Kersten and Enright. If we take Smedts, Stringer, Sheringham, Bews and Simpson/McIntosh out and insert those five in, it's looking like a significantly stronger team in defence, up forward and in the midfield, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't think we should underplay the six day breaks either. We played PA, NM, & Sydney with only 6 day breaks and two interstate trips. Our guys were as flat as a tack that night, and once the Swans got in front we had nothing in the tank to challenge them with. I'm not saying that means we'll beat them next time, as I think Sydney is like a dreamteam side at the moment. But hopefully it means next time our guys won't give up so easily and let them score so easily against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back