Why is the media down on Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fair enough, too, Blakey- but these blokes have a hotline to the fellas in the room upstairs. Why not just a quick alert during the quarter to tell the over-enthusiastic umpire to rein it in a little? They were pretty quick with the instructions on Motlop's score review!
Speaking of which- how many times in our lives have we seen a touch-and-go goal like that one pulled up for review by the boys in the rooms? Glaring errors- yes, maybe- but not goals with inconclusive vision. I wasn't convinced by the footage shown that the ball did touch the post. Umpire's call, for mine.

I don't think they'll pull up an umpire during a quarter unless he was doing something really bad. All umpies make a few iffy calls now and then. I disagree about Motlops goal, I thought it clearly looked like it hit the post. The ball deviated clearly to me. That was a right decision, and what the whole purpose of the goal review is about. Regardless of our respective opinions, umpires do make mistakes and it's just part of the game, it's just like all supporters we get upset when the bad decisions go against us. :p

Bugger! They've noticed!!! :(

Cats are still a premiership threat

"We'll cop it on the chin and admit we were wrong for writing off Geelong's golden era, because young guns like Allen Christensen continue to boost this brilliant team's chances"; and

"We've already taken our turn at writing off Geelong's golden era this season, despite being burned too many times to count in recent years, and the Cats look like doing it again. After scraping over the line against GWS last round, Geelong hit top form against the Kangaroos and showed that their best is still good enough to win the premiership, even with all the talk of a Hawthorn v Sydney grand final."

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/cats-are-still-a-premiership-threat/tabid/91/newsid/139762/default.aspx

Firstly, I'm not remotely outraged by Bartlett writing his off. I don't get offended by that, and really it's irrelevant. They're entitled to their opinions.

But there is so much that is just nonsense. "The Cats' nine lives have come to an end...". Hate to break it to you KB, but we're not reigning premiers right now. If our nine lives did end (and that is such a lazy, cliched and ignorant statement), that was in the Elimination Final in 2012, or the Prelim Final last year.

Otherwise there is this startling revelation........."they're not as good as they once were". Really? s**t, I would never have guessed. Perhaps the lack of premierships or Grand Final appearances in the last 2 years might have been a big hint.

Just two points- 1. They're OUR Cats and only WE are allowed to bag their performances ;) - not some idiot who supports a team that keeps coming 9th!
And 2. (In the words of our very own esteemed Partridge...) "I hate to break it to ya, KB", but we are not only top eight- we are actually TOP TWO!!! So suck on that, lemon-head!!!

Can anyone really have an issue with that.He could hardly go with the all conquering Cats form side of the competition to roll over the Hawks as they march to another flag sweeping everything before them.

Can anyone really have an issue with that.He could hardly go with the all conquering Cats form side of the competition to roll over the Hawks as they march to another flag sweeping everything before them.

It's annoying that there is so little attempt to cover the game, without hyperbole or the mandatory dose of bullshit:

"Hawthorn are quite reasonably fancied as a pretty good chance at the premiership. They been good for 4 years straight, and absolutely top drawer for the last 3. They've also managed to defeat Sydney. But it is remarkable how Geelong have continued to rejuvenate the turnover the list, and still win 16 games to sit 2nd on the ladder. Are they as good as previous years? Probably not. But they know how to win, and those kids are getting games all the time. You could easily see Geelong winning tomorrow night due to the slight advantage in Hawthorn having a 6-day break, and coming off a loss in Perth. Otherwise we'll find out if Geelong really have been lucky, or are simply good enough to win. Which is all you need."

There. Easy.

Last edited:
Another media person calls our downfall. Originality has never been one of KB's strong points. I liked how we're "very lucky to be in the top 8" though. This despite us sitting top 2 while dealing with significant injuries for much of the year and having one of the hardest draws in the comp (double up against teams currently 3rd, 4th and 6th). Yep it's all luck.

Another media person calls our downfall. Originality has never been one of KB's strong points. I liked how we're "very lucky to be in the top 8" though. This despite us sitting top 2 while dealing with significant injuries for much of the year and having one of the hardest draws in the comp (double up against teams currently 3rd, 4th and 6th). Yep it's all luck.

That's what Scott keeps saying. :cool:

He wants people to call up the radio station. Everyone who hosts a talkback radio programme is provocative, to a certain extent. Bartlett is one of the more blatant ones. He's pretty tough to take seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back