Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been a while since I have seen someone be so comprehensively wrong in so many posts and continue with the same crap, despite his idiocy being pointed out. Evidently you wouldn't even be smart enough to dig a hole. Maybe you should look for a job in manufacturing, screwing something together repetitively seems more up your alley. That sure is a smart industry filled with clever folks. :rolleyes:

You don't need to be smart to put cars together, but smart people do it better. It is the same with mining. Only the clever ones ride out the busts as they're the efficient ones. Let me know if you need some nice pictures to explain it to you in a manner you can understand.

It is the wrong thread, but it keeps going. Mining will take place wherever the minerals are. Can you name anywhere in the world where easy to obtain , valuable minerals have not been exploited mined? Only wars seem to slow it down a bit . The minerals are there, the miners don't make them. We are now seeing Australian offshore gas fields where the whole thing is simply floated in from overseas. So clever.

I wonder if Russia liked the world map before WW1

They might have. Germany certainly would have. Here's a map of Europe from 1900.

1900.jpg

found here;

http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1900/

It is the wrong thread, but it keeps going. Mining will take place wherever the minerals are. Can you name anywhere in the world where easy to obtain , valuable minerals have not been exploited mined? Only wars seem to slow it down a bit . The minerals are there, the miners don't make them. We are now seeing Australian offshore gas fields where the whole thing is simply floated in from overseas. So clever.

Philippines, the DRC, Guinea and Indonesia

When that currency is the one used by far and away your biggest trading partner, yes.

If Scotland does vote YES, the (r)UK will immediately accede to a currency union if only to make the oil and gas stuff easier, as well as the immense cross border trade.

I very much doubt it. The retribution will be swift and substantial. The Poms will see it as a very easy opportunity to decimate the financial services sector in Edinburgh and relocate it to London. Anti Scot sentiment is rather high in England, they are seen as constant whingers. Punishing them will be popular.

In any event is not every new EU member forced to adopt the EURO? The SNP conveniently ignores that (as well as Spain most likely vetoing their entry)

LOL in DRC , rebels are grabbing villagers and forcing them to mine, while legitimate companies go out of business due to USA sanctions.

That's interesting because groups like the Harvard University backed Denham group have been very active in the DRC. I guess USA sanctions mean, everyone but the USA.

I very much doubt it. The retribution will be swift and substantial. The Poms will see it as a very easy opportunity to decimate the financial services sector in Edinburgh and relocate it to London. Anti Scot sentiment is rather high in England, they are seen as constant whingers. Punishing them will be popular.
And I thought all those stories about financiers in London interfering with geopolitics was just the stuff of wingnut conspiracy theorists. But here we have a person who works in finance in London saying that is exactly what happens.

Hmm. Smiling Buddha.

In any event is not every new EU member forced to adopt the EURO? The SNP conveniently ignores that (as well as Spain most likely vetoing their entry)

Stop thinking Guido's comments in any way effect public policy.

They'll agree and quickly.

And I thought all those stories about financiers in London interfering with geopolitics was just the stuff of wingnut conspiracy theorists. But here we have a person who works in finance in London saying that is exactly what happens.

Hmm. Smiling Buddha.

He's wrong.

Hmm. Smiling Buddha.
I haven't been following this one at all so I have nothing to add.

Cheers for the tag all the same.

As for wingnut conspiracy theorists, don't discount Meds from our ilk quite so fast.

Check his sig.

Any man who thinks government is an impediment to liberty is surely a deranged fellow.

Just ask television or your local state-funded school.

He's wrong.
Stop thinking Guido's comments in any way effect public policy.

They'll agree and quickly.

Nothing to do with Guido (Lib/Lab/Con all agree). No government would be idiotic enough to bail out two huge FOREIGN banks. The UK was not at all happy about having to bail out domestic depositors of an Icelandic bank (and as you would know the UK sued Iceland). Why would England take all the downside and not the upside? Madness. Salmond knows it. Just bluffing. Noone believes him. He has zero leverage over the UK other than not taking a share of debt. If he tried that the English would really shaft him.

See below, some Scot firms are already thinking about it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ould-lose-UKs-AAA-rating-warns-Citigroup.html
Meanwhile, it emerged on Friday that Alliance Trust, the historic Dundee investment firm, has set up two new subsidiary companies in England to prepare for the possibility of an independent Scotland.
Zero chance of England giving a massive free kick to Scotland. They would divest them of their English branches very, very quickly under the guise of competition policy. Some details below.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/20/scottish-independence-threaten-banking-jobs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...must-sign-up-for-the-euro-to-join-the-EU.html
The Bank of England’s Governor has warned an independent Scotland would be forced to promise to replace the pound with the euro if it wanted European Union membership.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/analy...-debate-gets-180417735--sector.html?.tsrc=sun
But Business Secretary Vince Cable said this week that RBS would "inevitably" move its headquarters to London from Edinburgh in the event of independence, citing the greater stability offered by Britain's established financial system and regulation.

You have spent too much time up there. Salmond has about as much credibility on economic matters as Gordon Brown ie zero. Boris Johnson without the intellect.

Last edited:
Not really junior miners have to be financed and rio and bhp are adverse to too much geo political risk. Mines have Have huge upfront non recoverable costs. Richer deposits in png do not get developed because of the risk.

Secondly unrelated to your posts commonly about 95% of the inputs and outputs in the modern mining game are in USD so it's not that much cheaper to mine in some 3rd world country and why in Wa they can pay miners over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely surprised more is not made of this.

It gets mentioned alot in the press, particularly Spain re Basques. Ditto the view of Barroso / EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-20664907

"What I said, and it is our doctrine and it is clear since 2004 in legal terms, if one part of a country - I am not referring now to any specific one - wants to become an independent state, of course as an independent state it has to apply to the European membership according to the rules - that is obvious."

Asked whether an independent country would have to renegotiate its terms, Mr Barroso said: "Yes."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/24/uk-scotland-independence-islands-idUKBREA2N1FV20140324

(Reuters) - As the battle over Scottish independence heats up, residents of three groups of remote Scottish islands, some of which straddle oil and gas fields northeast of Britain, are calling for their own breakaway votes and greater autonomy.

Islanders from Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles have lodged a petition with the Scottish parliament asking for a vote on September 25, a week after a referendum on whether Scotland should end its ties with the United Kingdom after 307 years.

Local councils in the three island groups have also launched a campaign called "Our Islands, Our Future" to seek more powers after the September 18 vote, whatever the result, which could include control of the sea bed around the islands.

The moves follow debate over the powers that Shetland and Orkney would have if Scotland became independent, with local officials saying that around 67 percent of North Sea reserves lie within their coastal waters

Why do the Scots think Spain France or Belgium all with their own breakaway groups are not going to veto?

Because Scotland are doing it the democratic way?

I can guarantee they are there holding copper and phosphate assets.

From a brief review of the link posted, it just requires disclosure rather prohibiting investment and mining activities.

As a result of this disclosure ( and its being rolled out more or less globally through supply chains, I know this first hand ) companies are tending to avoid all smelters sourcing tin, gold etc from that DRC and surrounding area's. Legitimate mines have lost 90% of their business. Interesting they aren't targeting copper and phosphate though.
Europe are now jumping on board using the same system.

As a result of this disclosure ( and its being rolled out more or less globally through supply chains, I know this first hand ) companies are tending to avoid all smelters sourcing tin, gold etc from that DRC and surrounding area's. Legitimate mines have lost 90% of their business. Interesting they aren't targeting copper and phosphate though.

That is the reason why they are investing and moving in........to pick up assets cheaply, develop them and support the government. The guys at Denham are extremely well connected and back themselves in the most colourful jurisdictions.

They aren't as keen on places like Indo as Indos don't need foreign capital, where in the DRC they are desperate and thus easier to work with.

Commodities of choice for them are tin, tungsten, zinc, copper, phos, potassium and probably 2 others which I can't remember of the top of my head.

Last edited:

Personally I wouldn't operate in the DRC but Sth Africa, Guinea, Zambia, Indo, Philippines, Peru, Brazil, Chile and Oz are where our current focus is. Sth Africa has proven to be the most difficult jurisdiction and Guinea (despite curfews, elections and a few riots) has been one of the easiest.

The Philippines can get a bit colourful, especially with a gold deposit running 110g/t Au Eq from surface. Everyone seems to have a gun which creates peace through mutually assured destruction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back