1. Congratulations to bandicoo for being the only player to tip 9/9 this week. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

Entertainment & Music Worst Aussie TV show around at the moment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hue_Jars, Apr 11, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Caesar

Caesar Super Moderator

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    The NRL Footy Show was pretty good when the lineup was Harragon/Johns/Vautin/Sterling. Bloody awful now, I can't stand to watch it.

Q&A is pretty horrible.

I like the Australian version of Grand Designs but you are always going to find wackier building projects in the UK. Aside from a bigger population to choose from, most of the more interesting Grand Designs programmes are about buildings designed to combat pretty restrictive situations - funny shaped blocks, stringent building standards, historic building protections. There's far more of those in the densely populated and historic UK than there are here.

As an aside, I often wonder how people afford those buildings. They always go way overbudget and the programme makes it seem like their initial budget is already pretty close to maxed out. Yet when they come back the place is always stuffed full of brand new designer furniture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. nicky

nicky Premiership Player

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Crystal palace, socceroos
    Because you made the point of difference in the two that the poms have the advantage of better houses.... That is downplaying the fact the Kevin is a brilliant host. He is what makes the show great (imo). And I can guarantee with a fair amount of certaintity that he's a better host than the person hosting the aussie one. Even if he was narrating building projects in Broadmeadows and the aussie host was narrating projects restorating castles with vineyards in france.

Do you have shares in the production of the aussie grand designs?

I don't need to fill up every hour of my time watching TV. I've seen enough Australian reality TV to make an executive decision that I'd rather not waste my time on it and that the poms are probably making a much better version of >insert show< anyway.

In closing, I DIDN'T SAY that Aussie grand designs is shit, i was honest and said i've not seen it. If i'm desperate to fill in an hour of time i'll download an episode. FFS :rolleyes:
  3. King Elvis

King Elvis Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Note the comma.

Again, he is excellent, but the Australian guy is very good as well; just because the British one is a 10/10, doesn't mean the Australian one is a 1/10.

So you wont watch it just because it's Australian?

Most Australian TV is shit, I agree with that, I was just pointing out that Australian Grand Designs isn't an embarrassment when compared to the original one.
  4. Tex_21

Tex_21 All Australian

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Landsborough
    ITT, nicky outs herself as a racist*

*culturalist if you prefer.
  5. 17beams

17beams Senior List

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Anyone watched Danger 5? Is it funny or just stupid?
  6. kfc1

kfc1 All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I've not seen it, but I've watched enough TV to know that the black/abo/gay version is heaps shitter and not worth watching

/nicky

----

Actually having made that post, it reminded me that NITV is one of the worst channels on Foxtel.
  7. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Subiaco
    Stupid, don't think I laughed once in the only full episode I watched.
  8. 17beams

17beams Senior List

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Yeah I only caught about 10 minutes of the last episode and the only thing that made me chuckle was the tiger tank.
  9. hirdy_is_champ

hirdy_is_champ Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    ESSENDON
    Talking bout your generation - Josh Thomas and Charlie Pickering = terrible tv show. Amanda Keller isn't much better but those two are shithouse. To be honest I've never found Micaleff very amusing either.

The Straits is an appropriate mention, I watched the first episode, it is a massive wank if you've ever seen one.

When's the next Underbelly comming out? Channel 9 have not made a good tv show in ages, seriously footy classified is the only half decent thing on their network. Even their American shows are boring.
  10. SugarShane

SugarShane C6 H12 O6

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sri Lanka Cricket, WEB, RAI, RIC
    Exactly this. Reminds of when they showed the Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revelaed series. It was narrated by Mitch Pileggi who was 100% perfect for the role. Had the right amount of sarcasm and believability and everything. So after a few episodes what do 7 do? Redub all his lines (word for word no less) by that nugget Grant Denyer. Just sounded horrible. I ended up downloading the rest of the series.
  11. DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand All Australian

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Thread needs more Letters and Numbers. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Bigfooty's Neighbour

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Sacramento Kings
  13. strengthwithin

strengthwithin Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    West Perth, Reggina
    Whilst I agree to an extent most shows get lazy very quickly. This is why I like UK shows where they have very limited seasons even though the show is still popular ie inbetweeners

I don't know if anybody has watched Not Going Out with Lee Mack but I think an Aussie version of a similar storyline would be a fantastic show.
  14. RedmanWasHere

RedmanWasHere Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    88 posts and no Offspring?

It's like the failed offspring (pun intended) of The Secret Life Of Us.

Woodley not that far behind.

One of the winners is Adam Hills In Gordon Street for mine.

The worst overseas program for mine is Glee.

Lifestyle, Æ, Fox Sports channels, Music and the like are my cup of tea.
  15. King Elvis

King Elvis Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Saw a few eps of that, I think, was on one of the local channels quite late?

Bloody funny - will have to get my hands on it ;)

Skins is another example - I love the first few series, with the original cast, but I haven't watched any of it since they moved on.
  16. tonk

tonk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    It is beyond shitful, an absolute abomination.
  17. Tex_21

Tex_21 All Australian

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Landsborough
    Kingy I am disappoint!

Skins is one of my favourite shows, and by rotating the cast every 2 seasons, they avoid the pitfall most shows hit, where the cast ages. Has been cancelled though, but they will have a 7th season, with 2 episodes per generation. Should be win.
  18. Plugger35

Plugger35 The umpires are always right!

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Subiaco
    There is one overseas tv show that Australia does well, Who Do You Think You Are? on SBS.

The original UK series is a great show and the Australian version which is produced in WA is just as good. Hard to think of a better hour of television at the moment, just about every episode has interesting stories going back in history and it's brilliantly researched and produced.

Thank god for SBS, they are the one saving grace of Australian television. While the other commercial stations mainly consist of unfunny sitcoms, idiotic reality shows and generic crime shows, SBS continue to show interesting and intelligent tv shows and documentaries.

I barely watched SBS when it first started here but now watch it more than any other free to air tv channel.
  19. MrNatural

MrNatural Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Thank god for FoxFooty, then i dont have to watch FTA
  20. Cats408

Cats408 Team Captain

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Victory
    Yep this...all the shows listed in the OP are dreadful.
  21. The Passenger

The Passenger Mr. Mojo Risin'

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pittsburgh Penguins, Dallas Cowboys
    hands down the best FTA channel in oz... not even a contest.

admittedly i'm not a big fan of who do you think you are, but that's more just cause it's not my cup of tea in the interests department as opposed to it being a poor show... when i've watched it it's been very well researched
  22. Simple Jack

Simple Jack All Australian

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
    Me too.

Other than sport/sport related programs, literally the only FTA TV I watch is on SBS.

It's almost hard to fathom how every other network fills their schedule's with so much unadulterated shit.
  23. Tex_21

Tex_21 All Australian

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Landsborough
    I make an exception from ABC/SBS to watch Community now its back on Go, but apart from sport, there really isn't much on the commercials I watch.
  24. Cursed_Cat

Cursed_Cat Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    on the flip side, I am reeeeeally looking forward to the ABC's two telemovies adapting a couple of Peter Temple's Jack Irish books, should be the best thing since Rake.
  25. Roobs321

Roobs321 Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS
    It's a bit sad when the most appealing thing on a given night is a rerun of Spicks and Specks, Big Bang Theory or Escape to the Country.

The teen show Dance Academy is okay. The Slap has been acclaimed. Australia has some okay political analysis TV. I didnt mind the 1st and 3rd seasons of Underbelly. I've seen two episodes of Outland and laughed a lot.
    Generally though, there is usually only 1-2 dramas running at any time that are decent.

Worst. Purely from adds, Wild Boys looked like a nadir. TT/ACA just have no soul, often no academic reasoning.
    Other shows liked Packed to the Rafters and Offspring have been overpraised.

Wednesday nights were good on ABC last year; Spicks n Specks-The Gruen Transfer-The Chaser-At the Movies.