WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
My gues would be financial more than anything...

There's a fair chunk of affiliation fees out the door if the two clubs move on.
I can see that. I haven't been involved at Board level for a very long time, but from memory it was roughly $22k for 18's to Seniors about 15ish years ago.
I like how they are making it somewhat difficult. Perhaps they are learning from experiences that other leagues have dealt with in the past. In the mid 90's Sunbury, Bacchus Marsh, Darley, Melton, Melton South (maybe more clubs than that) all left the RDFL in the space of a couple of years and almost destroyed that competition.
Fair point. Ultimately, I believe letting them go is in the best interest of the competition long-term, so I don't think appealing makes much sense.

Why? I can understand Deer Park, but St Albans are financial, have great facilities, solid junior program. WRFL would not want to lose them.
All fair points. I'm probably basing the St Albans defection on my own personal opinion. I hate going out there.

Why? I can understand Deer Park, but St Albans are financial, have great facilities, solid junior program. WRFL would not want to lose them.

Both teams had 4 x Junior teams in 2022 (10/12/14/16)
St Albans had 18s and Thirds
Not that much of a difference

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My gues would be financial more than anything...

There's a fair chunk of affiliation fees out the door if the two clubs move on.
Affiliation fees is not much money you are only looking at a couple of grand per club, most of the cost in for umpires and insurance.

To me it is more about getting a ruling that may prevent other clubs in a similar location from doing the same. If you go by the AFL vic ruling all clubs along the Ballarat Rd Western hwy, can leave. The has to be some sort of defined boundary for each association.

Affiliation fees is not much money you are only looking at a couple of grand per club, most of the cost in for umpires and insurance.

To me it is more about getting a ruling that may prevent other clubs in a similar location from doing the same. If you go by the AFL vic ruling all clubs along the Ballarat Rd Western hwy, can leave. The has to be some sort of defined boundary for each association.
Just merge the two senior sections of the comps will benefit clubs with more even games

Only downside slightly more travel

There used to be set boundaries and I reckon they are still documented but AFLV don't seem to care about enforcing it. In the past a number of clubs were knocked back because they would be outside the designated boundary in their new competition.

So we might see CS move next??

I like how they are making it somewhat difficult. Perhaps they are learning from experiences that other leagues have dealt with in the past. In the mid 90's Sunbury, Gisborne, Darley, Melton, Melton South (maybe more clubs than that) all left the RDFL in the space of a couple of years and almost destroyed that competition.
The clubs you mentioned had no choice. It was for the benefit of the clubs that left and the ones that stayed behind.

Altona seem to have lost a few. Where does everyone see them next year after losing the blokes that have gone? Looks like they’ve lost at least 5 premiership players from this year, very hard to replace you’d think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Altona seem to have lost a few. Where does everyone see them next year after losing the blokes that have gone? Looks like they’ve lost at least 5 premiership players from this year, very hard to replace you’d think
I think they will find a way to be there abouts mate. They were the first to beat CS on their deck with something like 7 of their best senior players out.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think they will find a way to be there abouts mate. They were the first to beat CS on their deck with something like 7 of their best senior players out.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heard they were very undermanned that day and got the W but these guys all played in the flag and most were amongst the best on that day and during the season, albeit limited what I’ve seen, you wonder if they recruit heavily or find within?

Heard they were very undermanned that day and got the W but these guys all played in the flag and most were amongst the best on that day and during the season, albeit limited what I’ve seen, you wonder if they recruit heavily or find within?
Who have they lost ? I’m sure they will pick up a few recruits plus reserves will step up !

Was St Albans move to EDFL a good move? Seem to be losing a few players.

Have they gained any since their move?

Was St Albans move to EDFL a good move? Seem to be losing a few players.

Have they gained any since their move?

Lost a few due to some not wanting to play Div 2 (which is completely fair) but I think long term it is a good move for the club. They were just making up the numbers in Div 1 and have been for a long time.

Lost a few due to some not wanting to play Div 2 (which is completely fair) but I think long term it is a good move for the club. They were just making up the numbers in Div 1 and have been for a long time.
What happens if they are just making up the numbers in div 2 EDFL?

Anyway, anyone want to go with 2023 predictions?

Werribee Districts favourites (Harrison King to be announced soon - Bacchus Marsh exedous continues)
Caroline Springs
Altona
Hoppers Crossing
Spotswood
Point Cook
Yarraville
Point Cook Centrals

If its a seeded 18 round fixture, then it could swap some of the middle sides.

Werribee Districts favourites (Harrison King to be announced soon - Bacchus Marsh exedous continues)
Caroline Springs
Altona
Hoppers Crossing
Spotswood
Point Cook
Yarraville
Point Cook Centrals

Point Cook could be the big improvers in 2023, and Hoppers may be at the Cross roads, otherwise a fair prediction

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Caroline Springs
Altona
Hoppers Crossing
Spotswood
Point Cook
Yarraville
Point Cook Centrals

Then they have a bit of work to do.

1. WD
2. Altona
3. CS
4. PC
5. Spotty
6. Hoppers
7. YSE
8. PCC

I wonder if it will still be a top 5 if there are only 8 teams...

Common sense says no, but do the league want to get rid of another finals weekend??

I
I wonder if it will still be a top 5 if there are only 8 teams...

Common sense says no, but do the league want to get rid of another finals weekend??
Interesting question. Common sense would say top 4 but last season. One of the competing teams of the 4v5 elimination final ended up playing off in the GF.
I don’t mind it remaining a top 5 as long as we have 5 finals worthy teams.
It would be pointless if the 4th ranked team is say a 15-20 goal stronger side etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back