WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Who does everyone think is going to go backwards the most in 2024? I would say with the losses they have had you’d have to think Altona

Who does everyone think is going to go backwards the most in 2024? I would say with the losses they have had you’d have to think Altona
You’d have to think Caro would be there with them few departures with lake,brewer and co another year older!
And no new arrivals is always a worry
Positive being holland won’t take top talent to the bullants this year

With varcoe being coach you would think he would have a few tricks up his sleeve

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Got a feeling his tricks ain’t cheap Altona have never spent overs but a lot of talent has walked out of that club the last few years not much came in menadues,marlais,Turnbull,pickard,tighe,bench.
makes you question the culture yes they won that flag but I’m expecting a huge drop off this year.
We seen it happen to hoppers sit on your hands and you get left behind!

Got a feeling his tricks ain’t cheap Altona have never spent overs but a lot of talent has walked out of that club the last few years not much came in menadues,marlais,Turnbull,pickard,tighe,bench.
makes you question the culture yes they won that flag but I’m expecting a huge drop off this year.

I’d suggest that they are sticking to their guns and continuing to not pay overs. Apart from Bench all the others have left purely for $$$ and nothing they can compete with. Hear Varcoe is going well down there and I don’t think the recruiting has ceased where it is, I was told to watch this space by an insider so be an interesting watch for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn’t have thought they’d be sitting on their hands down there, it’s not what they do.
From what ive heard, they can’t compete with the money getting thrown at some of their players.
I don’t blame them for not trying to pay overs because that could have a devastating effect on their future.

Last edited:
Star Weekly on 10 Dec 2023 - League confirms division changes | Brimbank & North West

The Western Region Football League has confirmed its divisional changes for the 2024 season.

Following the WRFL review into the structure of its senior football program, and the successful application from the Western Rams to join the WRFL, the league’s board has ratified changes for the upcoming season.

As reported by Star Weekly, 2023’s division 2 premiers Parkside is moving to division 1 to make that a nine-team competition. This will be stage one of a two-year process to form a division 1 ten-team competition.

Next year’s division 2 premiers will be promoted into division 1 with no relegation out of division 1 to happen next season.

All division 3 clubs and the Western Rams will be moved into division 2.

WRFL clubs voted at its annual general meeting on December 5 to decide the fate of the former Riddell District Football Netball League club.

Member clubs of the WRFL officially voted in the Rams which will enter both their football and netball operations into the league.

WRFL chief executive David Jennings welcomed the Western Rams and thanked the RDFNL and AFL Victoria for their collaboration and support in the application.

“We have worked closely with the RDFNL and diligently with the Western Rams over the past two months on their application to join the WRFL and we are now delighted to welcome the Club to League,” he said in a statement.

Glen Orden is also set to make its return to the WRFL with the league revealing them as one of 15 teams in its division 2 for 2024.

The Hawks will return to the competition after failing to put out a senior or reserves side for the 2023 season.

Next season’s division 1 teams will be Werribee Districts, Point Cook, Altona, Yarraville Seddon Eagles, Caroline Springs, Spotswood, Point Cook Centrals, Hoppers Crossing and Parkside.

While division 2 will consist of Albion, Newport, Sunshine, Wyndhamvale, North Footscray, Braybrook, Suns, Albanvale, Sunshine Heights, West Footscray, Tarneit, Laverton Magpies, Glen Orden, North Sunshine and Western Rams.

So at least four Division 2 teams will have nothing to play for by early to mid June apart from avoiding the wooden spoon.

Great thinking by the league. Should have had three divisions and given these clubs something to strive for rather than having to scrounge around to get numbers to field two teams for a 35-goal thumping in both grades at the hands of a leading D2 club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at least four Division 2 teams will have nothing to play for by early to mid June apart from avoiding the wooden spoon.

Great thinking by the league. Should have had three divisions and given these clubs something to strive for rather than having to scrounge around to get numbers to field two teams for a 35-goal thumping in both grades at the hands of a leading D2 club.
Give me a spell.

3 divisions was continuing to dilute depth and talent rather than promote it. Div 2 clubs pinching Div 1 ressies players for $$$, Div 3 clubs pinching Div 2 players for $$$. Less incentive for player movement now, and hopefully clubs spending their $$ on the right players.

It may be hard for a few clubs in the second half, I agree, but isn't that the same in every single footy comp across the country?

Every club.
With primary school children playing soccer, clubs will need to pay $odds for mercenaries from out of the area.
The end is near!

Why does the league persist with having this bye for 'Interleague' round when there is no interleague game and especially this year when each team has 2 byes anyway.
The biggest losers are Caroline Springs and Point Cook who have byes either side and therefore won't play for 3 weeks
That is stupid alright

Point cook sharks have done some serious recruiting late.
Cassius white I’ve seen this kid play can turn the game on its head quickly don’t usually see talent recruited this close to Christmas well done to all at shark park

Cassius white I’ve seen this kid play can turn the game on its head quickly don’t usually see talent recruited this close to Christmas well done to all at shark park
They continue to raid Hoppers

Does seem to change clubs every year but the kid has talent. Just needs to settle somewhere for a reasonable fee and enjoy his footy. More a speedy outside player!!

Hey gang, chasing a practice match for either March 16 or April 6, North Heidelberg footy club, had one booked for March 16 but they have pulled the pin. If anyone knows a club looking for one please send me a DM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back