WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Hank.

You, Squeak, and I are on the same page. That's three of us from the whole WRFL Big Footy Forum.

I guarantee that such an initiative will work once it has kicked off and will then continue to grow.

BUT somebody's got to do the hard yards and kick it off. I'm happy to contribute, however, if, as there appears to be so much ‘I don’t give a big rat’s arse’ and let ‘someone else’ do it then the WRFL will fall in a heap and schools will enjoy a soccer competition. There will be a shortage of juniors, fewer potential footballers and the WRFL will slide into being a note on a page.

If that is the attitude of the local football fraternity it appears they are all telling each other to do what the Ukranians told the Russians to do on Snake Island. It is time for Western clubs to stop disliking each other and work together to ensure that the competition has an established foundation.

I agree with everything in your post Hank. Your feelings are genuine but not insurmountable and will take some time – small steps. I have formulated an agenda that will be presented to the WRFL hierarchy (and clubs) should they be interested.

Having women as the majority of teachers in primary schools is not an encumbrance. They don’t need to be upfront with an AFL competition as there are a lot of Dads and Grandfathers who have children and grandchildren attending. In the Hobsons Bay competition, schools work with each other and grandfathers make up at least half of the coaching. It’s not a hard task but an enjoyable one.

Just to be clear, I'm not a massive fan of school footy (an an elitest format) like the private schools already do at high school age, and I hate that the AFL have let the school footy system take precedence over the U18 Talent league.

It genuinely disadvantages kids from low socio-economic areas how may not get the chance (even via scholarship) to join such programs, then not see the same amount of opportunity, nor get looked at in a similar light as the kids that go through the private school boy system.

At a primary school level, participation is the key and an opening to bring kids into footy, but if the schools take control, then local leagues like the WRFL, who get little support from AFL Vic will be left to go to ruin

Who else they sign as only seen 1 player announcement and they lost a few.
Lose 3 players, sign a playing assistant and a midfielder.....

Dalhaus gone
Eggmolose-Smith gone
Denny gone

How dare they bring in 2 blokes to try and cover the 3 they lost ...

Lose 3 players, sign a playing assistant and a midfielder.....

Dalhaus gone
Eggmolose-Smith gone
Denny gone

How dare they bring in 2 blokes to try and cover the 3 they lost ...

Or they could promote and develop one of their talented junior player they continually preach about

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Or they could promote and develop one of their talented junior player they continually preach about

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They had 17 home grown kids in their side every week last year, people can't get past the big names on the teams sheet to see that Dalhaus only played half a year and they still finished 2nd. Paulie T played junior footy there, just not 40 games to qualify as a 1 pointer, Burton has played 200 games for the club. But the development came from its kids, who are from the dogs.

They debuted a 16 year old kid in a grand final, don't think they are too worried about "playing the kids".

Just to be clear, I'm not a massive fan of school footy (an an elitest format) like the private schools already do at high school age, and I hate that the AFL have let the school footy system take precedence over the U18 Talent league.

It genuinely disadvantages kids from low socio-economic areas how may not get the chance (even via scholarship) to join such programs, then not see the same amount of opportunity, nor get looked at in a similar light as the kids that go through the private school boy system.

At a primary school level, participation is the key and an opening to bring kids into footy, but if the schools take control, then local leagues like the WRFL, who get little support from AFL Vic will be left to go to ruin
Let's do something about it.

Josh Bench back to Albion.
Can confirm that Steven Kennedy will be following his footsteps and coming out of retirements to put on the hoops jumper. Albion Red hot favs now to win the flag.

Can confirm that Steven Kennedy will be following his footsteps and coming out of retirements to put on the hoops jumper. Albion Red hot favs now to win the flag.
But too gutless to play div 1. Yawn.....

That's a dig at the club, not the players

Is Altona picking up anyone? Have they lost anyone else of note?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the two divisions been confirmed?
And if so, Albion and Parkside confirmed to make a 10 team Div 1?

If so, I reckon it will stop a lot of player movement. Div 3 clubs offering cash to Div 2 mid range players removing the depth there.
Div 2 teams offering cash to fringe Div 1 players, removing the depth there.

It may make it harder for some teams initially, but I think it will help stregthen the comp overall.

Has the two divisions been confirmed?
And if so, Albion and Parkside confirmed to make a 10 team Div 1?

If so, I reckon it will stop a lot of player movement. Div 3 clubs offering cash to Div 2 mid range players removing the depth there.
Div 2 teams offering cash to fringe Div 1 players, removing the depth there.

It may make it harder for some teams initially, but I think it will help stregthen the comp overall.
Definitely two divs next year but only 9 in Div one

Believe that Connor Menadue and a couple of other Altona players will join Mitch Turnball and Kelly Pickard in accepting the huge $$$$$ on offer at Portarlington FC in the Bellarine Football League
It would want to be huge. They will get to Port and find a pretty bare cupboard

Altona will be fine.
I am sure they will, still plenty of good people at the club.

My question was more simple who are they losing, Beach, Menadue?.....

Who are they picking up to replace their best player and their ex AFL co captain if this is true and who else of their best 22 are leaving.

Given Varcoe has just been appointed, with fantastic credibility I would have assumed the club should be able to recruit well unless there are financial issues

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back